Purported 5.4-inch 'iPhone 12' display photos pop up on Chinese social media

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2020
A pair of images popped up on Chinese social media, with the poster alleging that they are pre-assembly pieces for the smallest iPhone said to be in the "iPhone 12" lineup.

The presumed 2020 iPhone lineup
The presumed 2020 iPhone lineup

The images, published by "Seekdevice" on Weibo, depict a screen assembly with the familiar notch, minus the TrueDepth camera and other sensors.

Alleged 5.4-inch
Alleged 5.4-inch "iPhone 12" screen assembly posted on Chinese social media

Besides the social media post, the images were also briefly posted to Slashleaks before being taken down, for reasons unknown.

The leaker has a decent track record for accuracy, specifically involving iPhone and other mobile device screens. There is no way at present to verify the provenance of the photos given the redacted data, and it is possible that they are intended for an iPhone knock-off or other device with a notch.

Alleged 5.4-inch
Alleged 5.4-inch "iPhone 12" screen assembly posted on Chinese social media

Apple is expected to release four new models as part of its "iPhone 12" lineup. Specifically, the lineup is said include a lower-priced 5.4-inch "iPhone 12" as is allegedly depicted here, a 6.1-inch "iPhone 12 Plus," a 6.1-inch "iPhone 12 Pro," and a 6.8-inch "iPhone 12 Pro Max."

All four models are thought to sport OLED displays and 5G connectivity. The lower-tier models are rumored to have a dual-camera setup and 4GB of RAM, while the Pro models could come equipped with a triple-lens camera, a 120Hz ProMotion display and 6GB of RAM.

Recent rumors say that the device will be launched on September 8, with a shipment between late September and early November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    WHY don't THEY GET RID OF THAT FREAKING CAMERA BUMP?

Jesus, MAKE IT A HAIR TICKER. for god's sake. 
    omasoucornchip
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    commentsf said:

Because most people use a case and don’t care one iota?
    bestkeptsecretGrayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    bageljoey said:
    commentsf said:

Because most people use a case and don’t care one iota?

Why do we keep hearing "most people", even if so, that's no excuse.
    omasoucornchip
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I prefer a slimmer phone, if that means a camera bump, so be it. I will be getting a midnight blue 256GB or 512GB iPhone 12 Pro the first day it is available. My wife will be getting a 256GB iPhone 12, 5.4 inch at the same time. This is the first time I have seen her excited about a new phone since she got her iPhone 6S. The 5.4 inch size hits the sweet spot. They will sell tons of those.
    chaickaGrayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Don’t care about whether it is OLED or not, I want that phone size!
    cornchipGrayeaglewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    commentsf said:

Guess that makes two of us...

FWIW I haven’t been this excited about an iPhone release since 2011. Still won’t be able to afford it. 😒

• Reply 7 of 7
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    I prefer a slimmer phone, if that means a camera bump, so be it. I will be getting a midnight blue 256GB or 512GB iPhone 12 Pro the first day it is available. My wife will be getting a 256GB iPhone 12, 5.4 inch at the same time. This is the first time I have seen her excited about a new phone since she got her iPhone 6S. The 5.4 inch size hits the sweet spot. They will sell tons of those.
    I kinda like the camera bump instead of the flush iPhone 4/4s (iPhone 12 looks quite a lot of resemblence of 4/4s) which makes it so damn difficult to lift off a work-desk top or glass dining table, etc. Keep the bump as minimal as possible but not flush. I hated the 4/4s due to difficult to lift and too often have to slide the phone to edge of a top just to pick up the phone. iPhone 12 isn't like 11, Xs, X before with curved chassis which does not have this lifting-off a flat surface problem.

Small details but a big difference in day-to-day use.....
    edited July 2020