Apple refutes rumors that it is trying to buy TikTok

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    The acquisition costs are already too high. The political costs and possible consequences just doesn't make any sense for Apple. The company's statement should put this silly story to rest. Should! 
    cornchiprazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Apple: 

“Uh, No. We’re not touching that hot garbage” 

ronnbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Now I can un-throw up in my mouth. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:

but Trump has also said, and like most of what he says, bizarrely stated that the U.S. treasury should also get partly paid for this deal, if it happens. As I said, bizarre.
    Trump has also said that the Mexicans will pay for the wall and that it might be possible to cure the coronavirus with an 'internal bleach cleaning' so let's not assume that any of this is actually going to happen.

beowulfschmidtronnBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:

dewme said:
    If Apple buys TikTok I would download it again to my iPhone after removing it a few weeks ago after word that China is spying on users. 
    Is there actual evidence of TikTok spying on users outside of the clipboard snooping that several apps have been caught doing? 

Since the dawn of cloud computing and service oriented architecture there’s always been concerns about data sovereignty. It’s a threat in all directions, and one of the reasons Apple and others have had to comply with hosting requirements from other countries. 

Please, don’t get off on a political tangent, but has the potential issues with TikTok or any of the many other applications with similar sovereignty concerns actually resulted in an actual breach or are we still talking about the potential for a breach?
    There have been sever articles about how Trump is enraged over a female comedian (I’m terrible with names, and so don’t remember hers) who continually makes fun of him on TicTok by voice syncing to things he says. You know ?Trump. He hates being made fun of, and a number of people think that that’s a big part of this. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised, but it’s speculation.
    Any “news” which purports to know the interior thoughts of others should be dismissed as no more credible than a completely invented story.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    razorpit said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:

but Trump has also said, and like most of what he says, bizarrely stated that the U.S. treasury should also get partly paid for this deal, if it happens. As I said, bizarre.
    Trump has also said that the Mexicans will pay for the wall and that it might be possible to cure the coronavirus with an 'internal bleach cleaning' so let's not assume that any of this is actually going to happen.
    Wow, genuinely surprised you didn’t include the “good people” lie. 

Well, if anyone is an expert in repeating a lie that isn't true, it's Trump. And about the "good people lie"? It's hardly the media's fault that your president can't form a coherent sentence.

The Mexicans are paying for the wall through the new trade deal

Ah, that old tactic: find something he's done that can be laughingly called an accomplishment and tie it to one his mountainous list of failures:

Mr Trump's campaign promised that Mexico would pay for the wall, but thus far the almost $10bn (£7.7bn) budget has come from taxpayer money.

What else? Ah, yes:

and contrary to CNN’s claims he never said to inject bleach or drink fish tank cleaner
    Did I say that he told people to drink bleach or fish tank cleaner? Nope. Stop foaming at the chops and read stuff properly instead of just hoping it says what you want it to say (though given who you're supporting, I understand why you do it).

The infamous press conference when Trump talked about treating with problem with internal bleach cleaning and/or shining lights internally(?) did actually happen, and Dr Birx did actually sit there in chair, looking as though she was trying to swallow a small rodent.

The good news is that no one is going to remember that sh*tshow after the Jonathan Swann interview, where Trump tried to dress up 150,000 dead Americans as a success:

Getting back to the topic at hand,

Good idea.

TikTok would be a better fit for Microsoft. There acquisitions are about buying users and revenue streams, Apple's isn't.

Some may say, "What about Beats?"

Well, there again; Apple was buying Iovine's expertise and standing in the music business, which is what they needed to broker streaming deals. The headphones worked out very well, but they weren't the main reason why Apple dropped that much money.

fastasleepXedronntmayBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Maybe Apple is just not interesting in supporting an application on two OSs: iOS and Android 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 37
    XedXed Posts: 2,561member
    qwerty52 said:
    Maybe Apple is just not interesting in supporting an application on two OSs: iOS and Android 
    They already have three.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Apple+Inc.&hl=en_US

If you look at Windows, Apple has even more apps, which is yet another area where Apple is "supporting an application on two OSs"

.Then there is also the new trend to get AirPlay 2 on media streamers and TVs, and while that's more about allowing other vendors to use the protocol over Apple building an app, but it does mean Apple has to use resources to make AirPlay 2 viable for 3rd-parties and shows that that they are interested in allowing content from their devices to be shown on a non-Apple device.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    If you look at Apple’s acquisition history, it doesn’t make sense. If you look at Microsoft’s acquisition  history, not only does it make sense, it’s consistent.
    And it makes sense that whoever are the middlemen, they would be interested in floating rumors of Apple being interested, to drive up the price.
    edited August 2020 ronntmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    geekmee said:
    If you look at Apple’s acquisition history, it doesn’t make sense. If you look at Microsoft’s acquisition  history, not only does it make sense, it’s consistent.
    And it makes sense that whoever are the middlemen, they would be interested in floating rumors of Apple being interested, to drive up the price.
    Bingo! Once again Apple is being used to generate a higher return for others. Apple buying TikTok, especially with all the political BS involved, would be nuts on so many levels.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:

Well, it’s Trump. He doesn’t know what he’s going to say until he says it, and even then he doesn’t understand what he said.
    XedBeatsronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 37

razorpit said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:

Wow, genuinely surprised you didn’t include the “good people” lie. No matter how many times you repeat a lie it doesn’t make it true. The Mexicans are paying for the wall through the new trade deal, and contrary to CNN’s claims he never said to inject bleach or drink fish tank cleaner. Only the people suffering from Orange Man Bad syndrome believe stupid stuff like that.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I do agree with you on TikTok not having a role in Apple’s planned strategy.
    You are really out of touch. I saw him say that. His own people had him make a speech condemning them, but then a few days later, he couldn’t contain himself any longer, and just made the situation worse by doubling down on it. I’ve met the guy twice in functions here in NYC. He’s a real jerk.

mexico isn’t paying for anything in any economic deal. The very minor changes in the trade agreements were expected for years, and are typical for wide ranging agreements, to rebalance small areas that didn't turn out quite as predicted. The current agreement which is almost exactly the same as those old agreement, was given a new name by him to try to pretend it’s a different agreement, but it’s not.

i,also watched him say, on Tv, as he turned his medical advisers, that they should look into somehow get bleach and other sanitizers and into peoples lungs, and possibly injecting it.

youre full of it. These are things he said on TV, in front of millions. Denying it just ruins any possible credibility that you hope to have.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37

Beats said:
    melgross said:
    I disagree. Apple buying this would be very good. Apple has failed several times with social networking. Reading articles about this possible deal with Microsoft shows that it would give them immediate credibility with the huge number of young people who think of Microsoft as a grandfather, and not relevant. This would enable Apple’s dreams of a social network for their most important customers, and potential customers. These people would live  Apple to win this. About 85% of young people have iPhones. What better social network to have than one owned by Apple, as long as it’s relevant to them?

but Apple isn’t terribly savvy when it comes to this, and likely it hasn’t occurred to them to buy into this.

Can you give details? TikTok will still be available on Apple devices and I don't see how this will help younger people stay with Apple.

The only ideas I can come up with is TikTok being ad-free for Apple customers and punishing knockoff customers with ads. But the acquisition cost may not be worth it.
    Another idea is tight integration with iMessage.

It's a risky move as TikTok seems to be at it's peak and can easily fall, this isn't like Beats. Next year a new platform may be all the rage.

Still disappointed that Twitter killed Vine, allowing this to happen.
    Having something available, and having it taylored specifically, with the brand behind it are. Two very different things. There’s a difference between Microsoft TicTok, and Apple TicTok. But Apple could do so much more than Microsoft can. Apple could directly integrate it with Apple Music, as TicTok is very much a music derived app as anything else. I could see major artists on Apple Music doing something special for TicTok users. It’s also possible that Apple gaming would have a part in this. Virtual reality commingling games and TicTok users could be a big hit. 

There are a number of ways that could only Apple could make major improvements to not only TicTok, but their other properties, if they owned it. Nobody else can say that, particularly Microsoft.
    Beats
  • Reply 34 of 37
    melgross said:

dewme said:
    If Apple buys TikTok I would download it again to my iPhone after removing it a few weeks ago after word that China is spying on users. 
    Is there actual evidence of TikTok spying on users outside of the clipboard snooping that several apps have been caught doing? 

Since the dawn of cloud computing and service oriented architecture there’s always been concerns about data sovereignty. It’s a threat in all directions, and one of the reasons Apple and others have had to comply with hosting requirements from other countries. 

Please, don’t get off on a political tangent, but has the potential issues with TikTok or any of the many other applications with similar sovereignty concerns actually resulted in an actual breach or are we still talking about the potential for a breach?
    There have been sever articles about how Trump is enraged over a female comedian (I’m terrible with names, and so don’t remember hers) who continually makes fun of him on TicTok by voice syncing to things he says. You know ?Trump. He hates being made fun of, and a number of people think that that’s a big part of this. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised, but it’s speculation.
    Any “news” which purports to know the interior thoughts of others should be dismissed as no more credible than a completely invented story.
    No. I don’t agree here. Trump does many things because of perceived and real insults. We ALL  know that. There’s no point in denying it. He’s been upset about the supposed TicTok users buying tickets to his rally in large numbers, and then not just not showing up, but talking about it on social media. We don’t know how many tickets were bought, but Trump’s rally was a massive failure that led to the demotion of his campaign manager. Trump is infantile in his responses.
    Xedronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Rayz2016 said:

What else? Ah, yes:

and contrary to CNN’s claims he never said to inject bleach or drink fish tank cleaner

The infamous press conference when Trump talked about treating with problem with internal bleach cleaning and/or shining lights internally(?) did actually happen, and Dr Birx did actually sit there in chair, looking as though she was trying to swallow a small rodent.

Trump was just trying to be a world hero. I can see right through him and he looked like he thought he was sooo smart when he suggested these things. You can see that he wanted to be praised as "the man who cured Covid-19". This is why he was dabbling with doctors so much until they got sick.... of him.

melgross said:

Beats said:
    melgross said:
    I disagree. Apple buying this would be very good. Apple has failed several times with social networking. Reading articles about this possible deal with Microsoft shows that it would give them immediate credibility with the huge number of young people who think of Microsoft as a grandfather, and not relevant. This would enable Apple’s dreams of a social network for their most important customers, and potential customers. These people would live  Apple to win this. About 85% of young people have iPhones. What better social network to have than one owned by Apple, as long as it’s relevant to them?

but Apple isn’t terribly savvy when it comes to this, and likely it hasn’t occurred to them to buy into this.

Can you give details? TikTok will still be available on Apple devices and I don't see how this will help younger people stay with Apple.

The only ideas I can come up with is TikTok being ad-free for Apple customers and punishing knockoff customers with ads. But the acquisition cost may not be worth it.
    Another idea is tight integration with iMessage.

It's a risky move as TikTok seems to be at it's peak and can easily fall, this isn't like Beats. Next year a new platform may be all the rage.

Still disappointed that Twitter killed Vine, allowing this to happen.
    Having something available, and having it taylored specifically, with the brand behind it are. Two very different things. There’s a difference between Microsoft TicTok, and Apple TicTok. But Apple could do so much more than Microsoft can. Apple could directly integrate it with Apple Music, as TicTok is very much a music derived app as anything else. I could see major artists on Apple Music doing something special for TicTok users. It’s also possible that Apple gaming would have a part in this. Virtual reality commingling games and TicTok users could be a big hit. 

There are a number of ways that could only Apple could make major improvements to not only TicTok, but their other properties, if they owned it. Nobody else can say that, particularly Microsoft.

This is a great explanation as I did not think of tight Apple Music/Arcade integration.

I think you may have a different understanding of what Apple can do with Tik Tok than just slapping their name under "developed by".

Still, I am disappointed that Apple have not exploited the popular Animoji Karaoke trend. This needs an App. Tik Tok could have propelled the popularity of this also.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Beats said:

Still, I am disappointed that Apple have not exploited the popular Animoji Karaoke trend. This needs an App. Tik Tok could have propelled the popularity of this also.
    Very disappointed that Apple couldn't figure out what a hit they had. And how it could've been combined with Apple Music and/or Carpool Karaoke.

Facebook launches its TikTok rival, Instagram Reels

https://www.axios.com/facebook-launches-its-tiktok-rival-instagram-reels-56460094-88df-4aa5-b6a1-39695c682508.html

The big picture: Facebook has a long record — sometimes successful, sometimes not — of adopting features that have proven popular on rival platforms and rolling them out to its billions of users worldwide in an effort to avoid being eclipsed by younger upstarts.

This is why I think Apple is gladly staying away. This has been talked about  for a bit and I don't think Apple could've integrated TikTok well with anything. Again, especially with all the political BS swirling around the app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 37
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    Exactly as I stated in my comment to your original story based on the rumor.

This is simply not a match to Apple business. Apple only buts companies for technology and Human Resources, and while TikTok dies have some great software and a huge user base, Apple would not be able to exploit it as a force multiplier.