Apple services could be offered in 'Apple One' bundle this October

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2020
Apple could be preparing to launch a new subscription offering that bundles together all of its services into one plan, with the alleged "Apple One" plan allegedly being readied for launch alongside the "iPhone 12" range.

A combined bundle of all of its online services has been touted in rumors and speculation for some time, one that would bring together different subscriptions into one monthly payment. In a report on Wednesday, it seems Apple is getting closer to offering customers a deal.

Allegedly titled "Apple One," sources of Bloomberg claim the bundle is planned to launch as early as October, to coincide with the release of the next iPhone generation. The aim of the bundle is to try and encourage users to pay for more Apple services by offering an attractive proposition.

The plan would be offered with various tiers, with each variation offering a different combination of Apple's existing offerings. For example, a basic package could combine Apple Music with Apple TV , with Apple Arcade added in for a higher-cost bundle, while adding in Apple News and additional iCloud storage will enhance the price more.

For consumers, the plans would be offered at a lower price than they would pay if they signed up for each subscription individually, at a saving of between $2 to $5 per month. Family Sharing would also be enabled, making the proposition even more valuable for groups.

The same sources indicated Apple One isn't the only subscription program Apple may launch, with it working on a virtual fitness class service that could be made available across iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. Codenamed "Seymour," the service would compete against similar offerings from Nike and Peloton, and while it would be available separately, it would also be offered as part of the same Apple One package on a higher-end tier.

Not all services will be included in Apple One, as Apple apparently doesn't want to include AppleCare or monthly payment plans for hardware as part of the offering.

Apple's potential all-in-one bundle has seemingly endured a bumpy journey for launch. In March, it was claimed some Apple Music agreements were causing problems for Apple in creating the Apple One package.

More recently in June, evidence of a bundle appeared in code for iOS 13.5.5, with mentions of a "bundle offer" and "bundle subscription" hinting at the continued development.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Well, if the price is right I might do it, even if I don’t use some of the services. Similar to how my cable bundle includes home phone service, for a lower price than not including it, but I don’t have a landline phone in my house. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

The same sources indicated Apple One isn't the only subscription program Apple may launch, with it working on a virtual fitness class service that could be made available across iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. 
    Huh.

Apple very recently notified ClassPass that a third of their app receipts for virtual workout classes will be collected going forward, a change from pre-pandemic requirements. Simply circumstantial, or perhaps there is some connection to an upcoming 1st party Apple service that wasn't previously indicated? Notably, Class Pass doesn't keep any of the revenues for themselves.
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3251219/#Comment_3251219

Bundled services of course make sense. Overall it should significantly increase Apple's services uptake and revenues. A lot of people look for those "bargains", even for stuff they weren't really interested in to begin with. I don't think it would cost Apple more since they only pay the content providers a cut from the subscriber revenues AFAICT. Apple's profit is guaranteed, other than Apple TV which is probably dragging from the rest at the moment, and potentially Cloud storage where most buyers probably don't use what they're already given so I believe selling them more will be pure profit too. I know I don't use all the 2TB I pay for, but gosh it didn't cost much more than the next lower tier so I convinced myself it was a worthwhile bargain. 
    :/
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 3 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Really the only Apple service I use is iCloud. I’d go for some improvements in that. But as far as bundling it with other services, I’ll pass. 
    Beatsdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I think the bundling was designed to show more subscribers for services that have issues with content providers like News and Arcade. Plus that free year of Apple TV+ is coming to an end soon with early subscribers, and with the pandemic, I don’t see a lot of people keeping it and paying for it unless it’s bundled with something else they use.  If they can claim more subscribers, it’s possible to secure more content that people would watch, than gamble with original series that have good, but not good enough audience members. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    I think the bundling was designed to show more subscribers for services that have issues with content providers like News and Arcade. Plus that free year of Apple TV+ is coming to an end soon with early subscribers, and with the pandemic, I don’t see a lot of people keeping it and paying for it unless it’s bundled with something else they use.  If they can claim more subscribers, it’s possible to secure more content that people would watch, than gamble with original series that have good, but not good enough audience members. 
    Based on what? Have you polled Apple TV+ subscribers? Or is this just based on what you and 3 friends think? 

JapheyBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,034member
    There are things Apple offers that I pay for, some I would like to see and would pay for, and then things I have no interest in or use for.
    Apple Care- Y
    iTunes Match - Y
    iCloud storage - Y
    Apple Music (subscription) - N ( I use Apple Lossless files on my devices- not lossy AAC)
    Apple TV+ - N ( I have Hulu w Live TV, Amazon Prime and HBO Max)
    Apple Arcade - N ( I see nothing of value there- Where is THPS 1 & 2?)
    Apple News - N ( I have multiple news subs, but the Apple product is of no interest)

I would love to see Apple offer an MVNO service combined with a soft phone app to free us from the TelCos.
    I would also be interested in a PPV setup for sporting events, live concerts and theater offered.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    Choices are always good. Bundles are like a sale: if it is for things you were gonna buy anyway, it makes sense to opt in. If not, there are no savings. From the retailer perspective, the idea is to make things that a buyer wouldn't otherwise buy seem more attractive.

Like any tech, it is a personal choice based on a specific need, want, desire. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the offerings. I like lower prices and savings too. I'll try Apple+ when I see something I specifically want to watch, and so far that is only the previewed "Foundation." 

Curious to see what becomes of live sports streaming, particularly with the Sunday Ticket licensing to Dish. My recollection is that was due for renewal, and things have changed rather dramatically since the NFL inked it. Nevermind that an NLF season in 2020 is very much in doubt at this point. 
  • Reply 8 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I think the problem is, Apple needs to offer an innovative new service. Every service they offer can be had by a different company. Not compelling enough for the average
    Joe. Amazon Prime has 2 day delivery. THAT is innovative and exclusive. Many people who pay for Prime never press play on Prime Video or Prime Music.

davgreg said:
    There are things Apple offers that I pay for, some I would like to see and would pay for, and then things I have no interest in or use for.
    Apple Care- Y
    iTunes Match - Y
    iCloud storage - Y
    Apple Music (subscription) - N ( I use Apple Lossless files on my devices- not lossy AAC)
    Apple TV+ - N ( I have Hulu w Live TV, Amazon Prime and HBO Max)
    Apple Arcade - N ( I see nothing of value there- Where is THPS 1 & 2?)
    Apple News - N ( I have multiple news subs, but the Apple product is of no interest)

I would love to see Apple offer an MVNO service combined with a soft phone app to free us from the TelCos.
    I would also be interested in a PPV setup for sporting events, live concerts and theater offered.

THPS? Tony Hawk Pro Skater??

"I would love to see Apple offer an MVNO service combined with a soft phone app to free us from the TelCos."

I wanted Apple as a real carrier so long I gave up.

"I would also be interested in a PPV setup for sporting events, live concerts and theater offered."

This is pretty much confirmed to be coming with their VR hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It's good marketing....
    AppleMusic is strong while TV+, News+ and Arcade are struggling.

This could let the struggling services piggy back on Apple Music to provide them with broader market coverage and additional funding.

Only Apple though will know how well it worked.   We'll never see the breakdown of the numbers.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,968member
    Bundling can work both ways. Yes, it can cause people to pay for things they don't use, much like with a buffet. Unlike with a buffet, however, Apple actually wants people to try the succotash, because they might actually like it and come back for more. If, say, Apple News+ isn't hitting the targets that they want, it would be good to bring more people to it. If more people who wouldn't have subscribed to it as a standalone realize they like reading magazines that way, Apple can entice more publishers to put their content there, which further improves that service. This, in turn, leads to Apple's real goal, which is having yet another reason for customers to remain loyal to the brand as they upgrade and buy new hardware. Put that on a logarithmic scale for a bundled family plan. Save a little by buying a big bundle that has something for everyone in the family, and you've got a whole family buying Apple devices up and down the line for years to come. It's a good business strategy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    This could let the struggling services piggy back on Apple Music to provide them with broader market coverage and additional funding.
    It seems like it may also be a way to simply let people know those other services exist. I don’t really know how “normals” are made aware of Apple Arcade or TV+. 

Our cleaning lady has had iPhones for years. When she upgraded to an iPhone 11 Pro I asked if she had signed up for her free year of TV+ and she had no idea what I was talking about. She signed up and loves it BTW.

As far as I’m concerned these newer services don’t get enough of a light shined on them by Apple, similar to Apple Pay that was rolled out 5 years ago and I still find merchants who don’t know they accept it (or what it is) and iPhone/Apple Watch users who are also in the dark. 
    GeorgeBMacBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It seems like it may also be a way to simply let people know those other services exist. I don’t really know how “normals” are made aware of Apple Arcade or TV+. 

Our cleaning lady has had iPhones for years. When she upgraded to an iPhone 11 Pro I asked if she had signed up for her free year of TV+ and she had no idea what I was talking about. She signed up and loves it BTW.

As far as I’m concerned these newer services don’t get enough of a light shined on them by Apple, similar to Apple Pay that was rolled out 5 years ago and I still find merchants who don’t know they accept it (or what it is) and iPhone/Apple Watch users who are also in the dark. 

Good point!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,106member
    The service I want is a Zwift competitor that uses Apple’s “Look Around” map images to provide a lifelike view of the road. The user clicks on a map and then starts pedaling to advance, with topographical data to control the pedaling resistance. 
    Beats
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Surely Apple must realize that there is a very well known temp & staffing agency called AppleOne that has been around for over 50 years.  https://www.appleone.com.

Last week, Apple filed a suit against a tiny company for a pear-shaped logo with a leaf in it.  Apple One's logo has leaves, too... will they leave them alone?
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 15 of 24
    flydog said:
    Based on what? Have you polled Apple TV+ subscribers? Or is this just based on what you and 3 friends think? 

It’s called ratings and that’s more friends than you have. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    I like the bundle idea but only if they still offer a la carte purchasing. In fact, I’d like to see even more bundles with combinations of hardware, software, and services. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The service I want is a Zwift competitor that uses Apple’s “Look Around” map images to provide a lifelike view of the road. The user clicks on a map and then starts pedaling to advance, with topographical data to control the pedaling resistance. 

This is a great idea. What I wish Apple would do is film locations in detail and add them as bike paths. For example El Tour De France, The Grand Canyon, San 
    Francisco Bridge, Great Wall of China etc. Add this as a game on Apple Arcade. Add online races and social media. Would be cool to bike with friends with voice chat enabled.
    tenthousandthings
  • Reply 18 of 24
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    The benefit of a bundle is to entice people to subscribe to things they barely use by allowing them to pay barely more.

I'm not sure $2-$5 is enough to have such an effect.

For example, I think it would be smart for them to throw in 2TB iCloud storage. The average user will still not use more than the 200GB plan, but the (perceived) price benefit would be $7 on that alone. That will get a lot of people to convince themselves they should get the bundle, even if they end up paying Apple more.
    tenthousandthingsStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    flydog said:

Why do you have to be an ass? The person was just offering his or her opinion. The logic of it seems reasonable too. I enjoyed the few shows that were on AppleTV+ but there is really not a lot of content. They need to acquire more.

I myself would welcome a bundle. The price point obviously is the critical element.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Surely Apple must realize that there is a very well known temp & staffing agency called AppleOne that has been around for over 50 years.  https://www.appleone.com.

Last week, Apple filed a suit against a tiny company for a pear-shaped logo with a leaf in it.  Apple One's logo has leaves, too... will they leave them alone?
    Actually, that logo is pretty interesting — if they were to try to put an app on the App Store then maybe Apple would contest it. But AppleOne dates to 1964 in California (Los Angeles), and their earliest logo in the Wayback Machine, dating to 1998, has both a leaf and a bite from the apple. But the leaf and bite aren’t the stylized Apple leaf and bite designed by Rob Janoff in 1977.

I wonder how far back that AppleOne design goes — could it have served as an inspiration for Janoff?