An iPhone makes you 76% more attractive on dating apps

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new study says that Apple iPhone users are more likely to get a match than Android owners on popular dating apps -- and you have almost no hope if you use Blackberry.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

According to the study, owners of Apple's iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods who had those devices in their dating profiles were up to 76% "more attractive" than users of others devices or those who had no tech displayed.

The study, carried out by CompareMyMobile, analyzed the results of 50,000 "swipes and matches" on popular dating apps. The site had created identical profiles where the only difference was the technology brand that appeared.

Per the results, having an iPhone increased a user's chances of being "swiped right on" up to 76%. An Apple Watch contributed 61%, while AirPods contributed 41%.

As far as Android devices, having a Samsung on display actually provided a positive sentiment with an 19% increased likelihood of a match.

From there, it was downhill for Android users. Google devices decreased a user's chances of being matched by 10%. Sony devices decreased it by 14%, Huawei handsets dropped it by 23%, and OnePlus devices decreased it by 30%.

The worst device to show off in a dating profile, the study found, was a BlackBerry. Having a BlackBerry actually negatively impacted the chances of being matched by 74%.

Which tech was the best to display in your user profile tended to vary by city. In New York, for example, Apple AirPods were the most likely to nab a user a date. In London, on the other hand, an iPhone 11 ranked as the "hottest tech."

Other findings of the study suggest that women care more about a potential match's choice in tech than men do, and that millennials are more likely to be influenced by a date's smartphone than by the car they drive.

The study's methodology looked at data from more than 50,000 swipes across 15 major cities. In each case, the profiles were identical except for the tech depicted, and CompareMyMobile checked the results against having no tech featured in a dating profile at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Just curious but why does this matter? Sort of shows how shallow people really are. Just my opinion. 
    mazda 3shumanaftera11chemengin1muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Just curious but why does this matter? Sort of shows how shallow people really are. Just my opinion. 
    You clicked on the link, didn't you???  ;)
    Rayz2016tmaypulseimageslordjohnwhorfinjony0GeorgeBMacBeatshippoviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I have to agree. Seems like such a superficial thing to be reporting about.
    humanaftera11watto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 4 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    This story probably belongs on "The Onion" and/or as a Weird Al song parody "She Thinks My iPhone's Sexy" of a Kenny Chesney song. 
    humanaftera11Beatsallmypeoplewatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Is that why they’re so many Android/Linux fanboys hanging around here?

They wanna know why their milkshake ain’t workin’?

Here’s a hint: on a first date, don’t drone on about your damn phone, no matter how much better than her iPhone you think it is. 
    edited August 2020 mknelsontokyojimutmaycornchippulseimagesjony0GeorgeBMacBeatshippoviclauyyc
  • Reply 6 of 23
    So... you’re saying I can buy a Blackberry, because I’ll never be using a “dating app” anyways?

Do they even have anything that can compete with an iPhone SE?
    hippoAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    A friend of my wife told me the most attractive thing about a man is the size of his....

Wallet. It's easy for old rich guys to find a sideride.
    hippomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:

Here’s a hint: on a first date, don’t drone on about your damn phone, no matter how much better than her iPhone you think it is. 
    Not sure what to amke of this survey result tho:
    "As far as Android devices, having a Samsung on display actually provided a positive sentiment with an 19% increased likelihood of a match."
    Is that saying 19% better chance than even having an iPhone?

EDIT: Found my own answer. It's 19% better than the average

FWIW men are far less likely to care what your choice of tech company is. Does that say (according to the stats) those women significantly influenced by the phone you carry tend to be more superficial? If so I wouldn't want that matchup in the first place.
    edited August 2020 hippomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 23
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    In other news, owners of Ferraris who had their cars in their dating profiles were up to 100% "more attractive" than owners of Mitsubishis.
    cornchipiOS_Guy80GG1jony0GeorgeBMacBeatshippoapplguyJinTech
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Perhaps it’s just us iPhone owners are naturally more attractive.
    BeatshippoAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Oh, noes!  I guess I'm going to have to own at least two iPhones to get the woman of my dreams.  However, I think mentioning I have a boatload of Apple stock would be much more effective to attract a woman.
    /s (maybe)
    cornchipjony0hippomuthuk_vanalingamAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    It’s not shallow at all it’s a matter of  convenience. It’s simply the fact that you can FaceTime with a person without having to use an outside app and if someone blocks your texts they show up green. If you’re texting with an Android user all their texts are green. 
    edited August 2020 h4y3sjony0BeatshippoAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:

Ah Man!   NOW ya tell me!    Shit!
    hippo
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Sounds like the words of a green bubble person. 😏
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

In other news wearing fake gold makes you look poor.

hippoGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 23
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    I guess it's not dissimilar to someone driving a nice car or a clunker, or someone who wears nice clothes vs Amazon garments, or a person who gets their hair cut at a stylist vs Supercuts. Apple is perceived to be the more polished, better thought out, higher-end brand, on which demands the ability to pay more. So the ability to own one implies a better level of success than an Android owner might have  (and yes, while some Android phones are equality expensive, their overall ASP is much lower du to the dearth of crappier phones out there).

I'm not saying this is right of course, just saying. To a surprising extent, we do make judgments on people and things based on early impressions, because it's quick way for us to process and filter whats "worth" pursuing or not. This applies to a lot of things, not just people. You can sit in a car brand you've never tried before, and see a few things regarding fit and finish that leads you to considering or abandoning. You pick up an article of clothing and look at the stitching and feel the fabric and know if it's even worth trying on.

muthuk_vanalingamAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    First of all, I don't recall any dating apps that tell me what kind of phone they're using. 

Second, iPhone users are much more likely to have more income, more likely to share same values as other iPhone users, and more educated. It's a correlation that people subconsciously choose their partners. It's not unusual. 

Last, if you want to maximize your dating potential,  you just have to pick a better phone. How you personally feel does not matter whatsoever when it comes to dating. 

Oh one more thing, why should you even care? If you think they're shallow, they're not for you. Duh. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    netrox said:
    iPhone users are much more likely to have more income, more likely to share same values as other iPhone users, and more educated. It's a correlation that people subconsciously choose their partners. It's not unusual. 

Values? Hardly. Even the most diehard and dedicated long-time Apple customers here don't all share the same values. Different politics, religions or lack of, social agendas....
    I could go on but you understand. 

IMO any difference in kneejerk attraction doesn't have to do with values. Some of the most considerate, sharing, friendly, and respectful people I know are Apple users, while some of the most disrespectful, greedy, selfish, and demanding people I know are... Apple users.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Having an iphone shows that you seek fir the best. 
    Otherwise, you stay woth your Hyundai, your Samsung and your dull wife. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    So... you’re saying I can buy a Blackberry, because I’ll never be using a “dating app” anyways?

Do they even have anything that can compete with an iPhone SE?
    If you’re ok with switching to Android, there is a new BlackBerry with 5G coming in early / first half 2021.
    watto_cobra