Apple releases watchOS 7 update for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2020
Apple has released watchOS 7 to the public, with Apple Watch owners now able to take advantage of new features such as enhanced Fitness and sleep tracking functionality on their wearable devices.

The operating system, which was first revealed by Apple during June's WWDC, has gone through nine developer beta cycles and five public betas before its release. Now, members of the public who were not involved in any of the betas will be able to download and install the update to their own Apple Watch.

Users can update to watchOS 7 by accessing the iOS Watch app and navigating to General then Software Update, though it can also be installed automatically by the app if set correctly. The Apple Watch has to be at least 50% charged and placed on a charger within range of the iPhone to install the update.

The update will be available to use on all models of Apple Watch from the Series 3 onwards.

The key features of the update revolve around sleep monitoring and watch face sharing, but as always, there's many elements included in the release.

Sleep tracking

Building on top of the basic tracking offered in Bedtime, the sleep tracking system included in watchOS will provide more data about how a user sleeps. By tracking small movements using the built-in accelerometer, users will be able to see how well they slept, as well as being able to keep track of their long-term sleep patterns.

Sleep tracking in watchOS 7 and the iPhone Health app
Sleep tracking in watchOS 7 and the iPhone Health app

To assist with getting a better night's sleep, the Wind Down feature will allow the Apple Watch and iPhone to be used to make customized bedtime routines, that are set to trigger when a user should be heading to sleep. This can include running a meditation app, playing relaxing soundscapes, and dimming HomeKit-enabled lights.

Washing hands

Considering the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the handwashing feature of watchOS 7 may be a highly important but minor addition.

The tachymeter complication and the hand washing features of watchOS 7
The tachymeter complication and the hand washing features of watchOS 7

When the Apple Watch detects the user is washing hands, such as by hearing running water, the display will show a 20-second timer to ensure the user properly cleans their hands. As with sleep tracking, the Health app will provide details of how often the user washes their hands, as well as offering more tips on limiting the spread of disease.

Fitness

New methods of working out are included, such as dancing, core training, functional strength training, and cooldowns. These are workout types that aren't as easily tracked as others that were previously offered.

To assist with tracking dancing, heart rate sensor and accelerometer data will be combined to provide more accurate calorie burn readings.

The Health app will also gain more metrics to monitor everyday life, such as walking and stair speed, step length and gait asymmetry, walk distance, and low-range cardio fitness.

Faces and sharing

The new Chronograph Pro watch face adds a tachymeter, used to calculate speed based on the time to travel a fixed distance. Developers can also add more than one complication per app to a single watch face.

Apple Watch face sharing in watchOS 7
Apple Watch face sharing in watchOS 7

Watch face sharing will also be a big change, allowing users to share their creations with others, via messages, URLs, or by a long-press of the face on the Apple Watch itself. Apple will also be curating Apple Watch face configurations, which will be available to try out from the Apple Watch App Store.

Apple Maps

Coinciding with updates made to Apple Maps on iOS, changes are also being made to reflect the Apple Watch experience, including turn-by-turn directions prioritizing cycle routes. This includes being able to exclude routes with stairs, and warnings about steep inclines.

Siri

Improvements are being made to how Siri performs on-device dictation, which should help make voice-to-text messaging more accurate. Access to other features including Siri's new translation features will also be available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    All these great features... if you want to use them all, when do you charge your watch battery? Too bad you can’t charge it while you wear it. 

It’s more important to me to close my rings everyday, so the watch goes on the charger overnight... so i guess this new great feature to track my sleeping, gets cast aside. 🙄
  • Reply 2 of 20

The only reason I'm installing iOS 14 on my iPhone X is for this WatchOS 7 Update (on Watch Series 5)....

edited September 2020
  • Reply 3 of 20
    All these great features... if you want to use them all, when do you charge your watch battery? Too bad you can’t charge it while you wear it. 

It’s more important to me to close my rings everyday, so the watch goes on the charger overnight... so i guess this new great feature to track my sleeping, gets cast aside. 🙄
    I routinely find adequate time to charge my watch during the day: there’s always  some Downtime  somewhere ftom while I’m showering to prepping dinner to watching some tv. They charge fast enough it gets it done and from what I gather not cramming a Li battery to 100% for all those overnight hours is better for it. 
    twokatmewrazorpitwatto_cobrageorge kaplan
  • Reply 4 of 20

I assume the majority of Apple Watch users charge them when they are sleeping so ... good point :/
  • Reply 5 of 20
    kimberly said:
    I assume the majority of Apple Watch users charge them when they are sleeping so ... good point :/
    I was surprised to find that with my series 4, the battery lasted overnight in theatre mode, and the. I’d charge it during my morning routine. I’d charge it again for about an hour in the evening and then wear it again overnight. Surprised me how quickly it charged when you’re paying attention!
    twokatmewJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    jcbigears said:
    kimberly said:
    I was surprised to find that with my series 4, the battery lasted overnight in theatre mode, and the. I’d charge it during my morning routine. I’d charge it again for about an hour in the evening and then wear it again overnight. Surprised me how quickly it charged when you’re paying attention!
    There is a new feature that will send an alert to your iPhone when the watch is completely charged. In general you probably don’t need to charge to 100% if you are going to charge again at the same time the next day. Charging to 85-90% is probably fine. And use either theater mode at night or set the new bedtime mode when you go to bed. Either saves a huge amount of battery and will not disturb you with light while you sleep. 

I’ve been sleep tracking for 2+ years with Sleep++ and this technique works great. This is with a 44 mm. A 40 mm may have more trouble. 
    twokatmewrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member

I have a series 3. I either charge it in the evening while watching TV or in the morning while eating breakfast, showering, etc. Sometimes I don’t have enough downtime to charge it to 100%, so I’ll charge it morning and in evening. I always have plenty of battery for wearing all day (with a 30-min workout) and still wear it overnight for sleep tracking via AutoSleep. 
    JFC_PArazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    jcbigears said:
    kimberly said:
    Yes! I do this with my S3. I prefer charging it morning and evening, as it spends less time on the charger at once. I don’t need it on my wrist when I’m eating breakfast or watching TV. ☺️
    JFC_PArazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20

jdb8167 said:
    jcbigears said:
    kimberly said:
    There is a new feature that will send an alert to your iPhone when the watch is completely charged. In general you probably don’t need to charge to 100% if you are going to charge again at the same time the next day. Charging to 85-90% is probably fine. And use either theater mode at night or set the new bedtime mode when you go to bed. Either saves a huge amount of battery and will not disturb you with light while you sleep. 

I’ve been sleep tracking for 2+ years with Sleep++ and this technique works great. This is with a 44 mm. A 40 mm may have more trouble. 
    I have a 38mm S3, and I use AutoSleep, but I agree with what you say. I’ll charge either morning or evening, not always to 100%, and I always have plenty of battery to get through my day and sleep tracking overnight. I haven’t been using Theater Mode at night, but think I’ll give that a try. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20

Pre-covid, I charged mine on the train every morning (roughly an hour) on the way to the office when I'd use my watch for an alarm to not wake my wife. On occasion I would charge it at night before bed for about 30 min as well. Only had an issue one or two times where battery drain was VERY high. (A reboot of the watch fixed that, and I haven't had the problem with recent builds.)

This is on an S.2 watch.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20

The only reason I'm installing iOS 14 on my iPhone X is for this WatchOS 7 Update (on Watch Series 5)....

same. except i’m using an iphone 7 and watch series 4 😅
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Once again had to unpair and set up as a new Watch to run the update due to space limitations, as there was 2.4GB being used even after deleting all apps and having zero media on it. Resetting and setting up as new reduced that to 1.2GB, freeing up enough space for the update. Wish there was an easier way to clear that data without having to unpair/reset.
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

kimberly said:

The watch takes so little time to charge, one can wear it as if it doesn't require charging at all. Place it on the recharger at a convenient time of day each day and new capabilities will present themselves.
    JFC_PAMac512userwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20

I have a series 3 (until my new 6 gets here at the end of the month) and my routine is generally to put it on the charger when my alarm goes off in the morning, and take it off between 30 minutes and an hour later, depending on how many times I snooze the alarm, how long it takes for my morning ablutions, etc.  While I don't always have 100% charge when I put it back on, it has never failed to last until the next charge cycle, even on workout days.

And the new 6 claims to be able to fully charge in 90 minutes, so I'm guessing I'll be able to continue that routine just fine.
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Does anyone have issues of upgrading their Series 3 to watchOS 7 due to insufficient space? The upgrade required at least 3.1 GB of free space, and I only had 2.8 GB available. I couldn't figure out where to free up more space so I had to do the new installation of watchOS 6 before upgrading to watchOS 7. When I tried to restore my profile from the back-up, I got the messages that it couldn't be done due to weird errors. I had wasted a lot of time here...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I appreciate all the recharging ideas... my S4 usually will hold a charge between 24-36 hours, so the mini charges, are a great idea!

One other question i will ask everyone... i bought my parents S5’s but they don’t seem to hold a charge as well as my S4... i have made sure background apps are not refreshing, and have turned off the “always on” display, but their batteries still seem to discharge faster than my S4... has anyone else seen this, or is there some energy sapping settings that i am overlooking?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Does anyone have issues of upgrading their Series 3 to watchOS 7 due to insufficient space? The upgrade required at least 3.1 GB of free space, and I only had 2.8 GB available. I couldn't figure out where to free up more space so I had to do the new installation of watchOS 6 before upgrading to watchOS 7. When I tried to restore my profile from the back-up, I got the messages that it couldn't be done due to weird errors. I had wasted a lot of time here...
    I did not have that problem, but I've seen posters on these forums who claim to have had the problem say that unpairing the watch, and then re-pairing it helped.  The unpair process apparently does a backup first, and I suspect that removes a bunch of moderately inconsequential data from the watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    The update installed on my S3 without issue. But I don’t have any media on it, and I’ve only installed three apps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I wrote about the lack of space issue above. However, all you needed to do was erase all settings and unpair the watch, re-pair it as a new watch (not from backup), install the new watchOS, then erase/unpair again, and re-pair and this time restore from the second to last backup (as the previous one would be from the "new" watch setup). I think maybe you did it wrong if you reinstalled 6 first. 
  • Reply 20 of 20

I did not have that problem, but I've seen posters on these forums who claim to have had the problem say that unpairing the watch, and then re-pairing it helped.  The unpair process apparently does a backup first, and I suspect that removes a bunch of moderately inconsequential data from the watch.
    I'm assuming logs/caches/etc that has no user-facing method to delete, not sure. I literally removed every single thing I could and still didn't have enough space without wiping the Watch.