Apple releases tvOS 14.0.2 for Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2020
Apple has released an update for tvOS bringing it up to version 14.0.2, just 11 days after releasing tvOS 14.0.1.

tvos 14
Apple TV running tvOS 14.

The update for tvOS 14.0.2 is now available to download and install on the Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. As a full release, it can be installed by all users and not just beta testers, but most users will experience it as an automatic update.

Users can manually update to tvOS 14.0.2 by opening the Settings app then selecting System, then Software Updates, then to select Check for Updates. If an update is available, a button to Download and Install will be present.

It is unclear what changes Apple has made in tvOS 14.0.2, but given the version number, they are likely to consist of bug fixes, performance improvements, and other smaller tweaks.

Apple is currently beta-testing tvOS 14.2, which is on its second round of testing.

September's tvOS 14 update introduced changes including better picture-in-picture support, HomeKit Doorbell alerts and camera feed improvements, as well as tweaks for Apple Arcade and audio sharing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I've been experiencing infrequent quick white line artifacts that appear from my 4K Apple TV.  I've narrowed it down to the ATV itself by connecting it with a different cable to a different input of my receiver and seeing the same thing.  Other inputs, like my Nintendo Switch and PS4, do not show this.  Anybody else seeing artifacts like this?  I'm wondering if it's possibly heat-related since I have the ATV in a cabinet and it seems to happen more in the warmer months.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    HomePod connectivity is FINALLY persistent with tvOS 14. Man, that took way too long. Before I had to manually pair my HomePods each time I used my Apple TV. 
    Beatsgregoriusmdewmerazorpitaegeanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    HomePod connectivity is FINALLY persistent with tvOS 14. Man, that took way too long. Before I had to manually pair my HomePods each time I used my Apple TV. 

Imagine how many sales Apple lost because of this crap?

I wanna see new HomePods and Home Theater speakers from Apple like a soundbar. Now is the perfect time.
    razorpitMacProdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 14
    strells said:
    I've been experiencing infrequent quick white line artifacts that appear from my 4K Apple TV.  I've narrowed it down to the ATV itself by connecting it with a different cable to a different input of my receiver and seeing the same thing.  Other inputs, like my Nintendo Switch and PS4, do not show this.  Anybody else seeing artifacts like this?  I'm wondering if it's possibly heat-related since I have the ATV in a cabinet and it seems to happen more in the warmer months.

You know what? I remember seeing these back in my Wii playing days. I called Nintendo and (if I remember correctly) they said Wiis were having this problem when they were placed too close to Wifi routers. Something about the radio frequencies interfering. I remember moving the hardware further away and that solved the problem!
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Beats said:

Yes, zero. 
    StrangeDaysBeatsdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    It shouldn’t have; mine didn’t. It would persist until you took over the HPs from another device. If the ATV was the only device using your HPs it would stay connected. Mine always did. 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    I’ve only recently started regularly using my HomePod with Apple TV. I never realized that the HomePod could function as an awesome little sound bar. I haven’t experienced any major connectivity issues so far.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    flydog said:
    Beats said:

Yes, zero. 

Zero + 2. I would have bought 2 for theater purposes.

Actually I'd get 5 id they can nail a good flawless 5.1 experience, or even a 5.0 experience acting as the sub.
    edited October 2020 razorpitdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Back when I first got my HomePod, I also had this issue, but that was well over a year ago so I can't point to which update solved the issue, but it has been solved. I routinely switch from having the HP be my sounder to having it play from other sources (notably my iPad, iPhone, and MBP) and its all good. I have dragged my feet on getting a second one but right now it appears they may be updated and/or xmastime sales may make it very attractive to pick up a second one, so I'm on standby on that.
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I haven't tried it yet, will do that tomorrow. If they have fixed the ATV audio connectivity issue with HomePod, I will probably buy 3 more. That's the only thing holding me back. Currently my HomePod is just a toy for my 3 year old to play her songs. She loves playing with Siri.

Can't wait for the new Apple TV.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Beats said:
    strells said:

You know what? I remember seeing these back in my Wii playing days. I called Nintendo and (if I remember correctly) they said Wiis were having this problem when they were placed too close to Wifi routers. Something about the radio frequencies interfering. I remember moving the hardware further away and that solved the problem!

This is far too common.... people placing wireless devices right next to each other, and then expecting the technology to just sort it out. It's truly amazing that our wireless devices work as well as they do! The engineers behind the wireless tech have really done an amazing job.

Keep your devices nicely spaced apart. Give them room to breathe (wirelessly).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Well, I hope this fixes the annoying issue on my 4K Apple TV, where everytime I click the Apple TV+ icon after turning my TV on, it signs me out!

Which of course, forces me to sign in again... making it a big fat pain in the a*s. Will run the update later today.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    strells said:
     I'm wondering if it's possibly heat-related since I have the ATV in a cabinet and it seems to happen more in the warmer months.
    Did you try temporarily setting it outside the cabinet for a while to see if it makes a difference?  If not, it might be a good idea ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I haven't had any issues so I chose not to update 14.0.2.   Apple isn't happy as my AppleTV now reminds me 2 to 3 times an hour to update the software.   Used to be it would display the update splash page once upon startup, which was fine.

Anyone know how to stop this constant request to update?
    watto_cobra