Apple issues first developer beta for macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2020
Confusing the Big Sur beta process somewhat, Apple has released macOS 11.0.1 beta 1 to developers prior to the release of Big Sur to the general public.

New betas are able to be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center by anyone enrolled in the Developer Beta program. Devices with the proper configuration profile installed can also update to the newest build as an over-the-air update.

This release follows after ten betas of 11.0, which Apple released to developers on October 14. It now significantly lags behind Apple's other operating systems, including iOS 14, iPadOS 14, watchOS 7, and tvOS 14, which have all seen release to the public.

Though Apple hasn't explained why macOS Big Sur is slow to release, it is likely due to it being a major update that has to be functional both for existing Intel-based Mac systems as well as future models running on Apple Silicon, chips of Apple's own design. Apple has previously declared it would bring out its first Apple Silicon Mac before the end of 2020, which would require macOS Big Sur to function.

It is unclear why this beta is releasing today, other than a possible leak prevention measure. It could indicate that macOS 11.0 is releasing to the public soon, but more likely it shows that macOS 11.0.1 will be shipping on whatever Macs are announced in November.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. It is instead recommended to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data beforehand.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Apple on Thursday issued a public beta version of Big Sur 11.0.1 for testing.
Creatsillity

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I think you’ve got it right. 11.0 will be released to the public at the November event, but won’t ship on the new machines that are announced then. 11.0.1 is what will ship with the new machines.

So this means that the first AS Macs won’t be available on the day they are announced — you’ll be able to order them, but they won’t ship until somewhat later. It also means that AS Macs are likely being distributed to select developers of critical software as we speak, with the 11.0.1 beta on them.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Apple not releasing Big Sur until the new Macs are released. Too many people are digging in to the code to find out what will be released. 
    urahara
  • Reply 3 of 5
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Apple not releasing Big Sur until the new Macs are released. Too many people are digging in to the code to find out what will be released. 

Because developer betas are SO hard to get...?

I mean, sure, there's one running on my desk right now (it's fugly, btw) and I'm not a developer.

(No, it's not running on a machine I actually use for anything, I'm not an idiot.  This desk has six computers running on it right now, there's another seven in the rack across the room, and I'm not even going to try to count the ones that are off right now.  Yes, there's a //e, and a IIgs, and a TAM, and a 128K.  Yes, I have an interesting office.)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    darkvader said:

Because developer betas are SO hard to get...?
    There has been nothing in the betas to find out what the Silicon Macs will be. Apple is holding out to reduce leaks. People do go through the code to figure out what will be coming. By holding out, there will be less leaks. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have just installed Big Sur. It looks very cool, much better arranged than Catalina. The screenshot is the menu available on clicking a new icon at the top bar menu, I must admit that is better that could have urged Apple to do. Let's see if it has any bugs, I experienced several issues with Catalina connectivity.