Playstation 5 versus Xbox Series X - which is the best gaming console for the Apple user

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
The Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X are here. While there isn't a clear choice of which to buy if you're an Apple user, there are some pros and cons to each platform, if you own an iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

Playstation 5 vs Xbox Series X best console for the Apple user
Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X -- The best console for the Apple user

Apple doesn't deal with Sony or Microsoft's console divisions directly, but both products play an important role in console gamer's lives. Both gaming companies utilize mobile apps to manage game libraries, purchases, in-game chat, and even second-screen experiences. The Playstation 4 and Xbox One entered the market when tying apps to gaming experiences was a new concept. Both Sony and Microsoft had to feel out design and feature sets over the years to find exactly what the gamers wanted.

Everything they have learned has been baked into the latest-generation consoles from the start. How each company handles these features and what an Apple user can do with them is now more similar than ever across platforms.

Xbox Series X

Microsoft has released two new consoles with different capabilities-- the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.

The Xbox Series X is the flagship model capable of 8K HDR gaming, 2160p at 120Hz, and has a disk drive. The Xbox Series S supports 1440p up to 120Hz and is an all-digital console. The distinction between the Xbox models doesn't affect how they will work with your Apple devices.

Microsoft Xbox Apps available

The Xbox app design aligns with iOS design language
The Xbox app design aligns with iOS design language

There are apps available on iOS and iPadOS made officially by Microsoft for managing and controlling your Xbox.

Xbox App

The Xbox app is the gateway to social and remote management of your Xbox console. From here you can find games to buy and download, manage your download cue, and create party chats with your friends.

The app will also help you set up a console for the first time by pairing with it on your local network. Already set up consoles can be paired in a similar process. Once paired you can view media captured while playing or even play the games remotely.

Remote play is a recent feature which allows users to mirror their Xbox onto their iPhone or iPad and play games over the network. Playing like this can lead to a lot of lag and loss of quality, but its doable. You can even pair an Xbox controller to your device and play that way.

Viewing your screenshots and in-game video recordings on your mobile device is nice too, and not available on Playstation's app. You can easily see your recent media and share it directly to social media from the Xbox app.

Xbox Game Pass

The Xbox Game Pass app exists to allow users to browse and download games to their Xbox console. This can already be done from the Xbox app, but the Game Pass app is built for the purpose of browsing the service's content.

The Xbox Game Pass is a monthly or annual subscription which grants access to a large catalog of old Xbox games and exclusives.

Xbox Game Pass
Xbox Game Pass

The Game Pass includes games that exist on iOS as well, and could one day allow users to download or stream versions of these games directly to their Apple devices. Apple makes this complicated, however, and will not let a single app contain an entire streaming library for games.

Xbox lead Phil Spencer said they remain committed to bringing the game pass to iPhone. In its current ruleset, Apple will let developers bring gaming subscription services to iOS under two specific conditions:
  1. The app must be downloadable from the App Store
  2. The streaming service app acts only as a catalog and doesn't directly launch games
This means that games in the Xbox Game Pass would become downloadable in the iOS App Store for no additional fee. Xbox has not announced a timeline for such a feature.

Xbox Family Settings

The third and final app offered by Xbox is called Xbox Family Settings. It is an app meant to give parents the ability to manage their child's Xbox remotely.

It functions similar to Apple's Screen Time feature by enabling time limits and requests for access. Parents can see activity reports, choose how long a game can be played, and who their child can communicate with.

Controller Support

Xbox Controller for Xbox Series X
The Xbox Controller for Xbox Series X

The Xbox controller was added to Apple's supported controller list for iOS 13. Only Xbox controllers with Bluetooth were required previously, as Xbox had their own proprietary pairing system in older controllers.

The Xbox Series X controller has a new design and Bluetooth included, so they will be able to pair with devices easily. The Microsoft website says iOS support is "coming in the future." To get there, Apple will need to issue an update to add compatibility.

iOS 14 added compatibility with the Adaptive Controller too, so users who have accessibility needs can use the controller across all their devices.

PlayStation 5

Sony launched two Playstation 5 models, but there is no distinction in performance capabilities, unlike Xbox. The standard console comes with a disk drive for backwards compatibility with PS4 disk titles. The Digital Edition has no disk drive, making it slightly lighter and thinner, but does not affect its performance.

The Playstation 5 is capable of 4K gaming at 120Hz or output up to 8K. The capabilities do not affect how the Playstation will interact with your Apple devices.

Apps available

The Playstation app takes on a unique design style
The Playstation app takes on a unique design style

There are apps available on iOS and iPadOS made by Playstation to manage and control your console.

Playstation App

The Playstation app is a little more hands-off than the Xbox app. Users can text and voice chat, create parties, and join games, but thats about it for social functionality. There is no way to view or share images or video saved on the Playstation.

You can view your trophy list and see what games you've been playing. You can see which friends are online and view what game they are playing and their trophy list.

The Playstation Store integration is the best feature of the updated Playstation app. Browsing the store is seamless and allows you to buy a game and send it to your download cue right away.

The Playstation 5 can be turned on and launch a specific game via the app. You can also view and manage your PS5 storage remotely.

PS Remote Play

Remote play lets you play your Playstation on your iPhone
Remote play lets you play your Playstation on your iPhone

Unlike Xbox, Playstation has a separate app dedicated to remote gaming on iOS. The PS Remote Play app is a single purpose app optimized for gaming on your Playstation when on the same network.

The on-screen touch controls are optimized for the display, though connecting a controller will improve the experience greatly. Depending on network connection speeds, the gameplay can be quite seamless despite being over a network.

The Playstation 5 will be able to stream a full 1080p signal in HDR to your iOS device.

Controller Support

The Dualsense controller for PS5
The Dualsense controller for PS5

The Sony Dualshock 4 for PS4 is compatible with iOS 13 and up. Sony has not announced any official compatibility with the Dualsense controller for PS5, though that could come in a future update.

When gaming on iOS you can pair your Playstation controller for a good experience. The PS Remote app is programmed to work best with the Dualshock 4, so when connected buttons will function as expected.

Game Streaming

Xbox has its project X-cloud and Xbox Game Pass, both of which Microsoft is working to make compatible with iOS. Sony has made no such announcement for iOS.

Playstation Now
Playstation Now

Sony does have a service called Playstation Now, which gives users access to a large library of games which includes Playstation 2 titles. Sony could make some of these games and the service available on iOS given Apple's current rules, but it has not been announced. Playstation Now content can only be accessed via Remote Play on Apple devices.

Apple TV app

Both Xbox and Playstation will have the Apple TV app at launch and previous generations will get it too. Any movies or TV shows purchased in iTunes, Apple TV+ content, and Apple TV Channels will show up in the app.

The app experience is the same on both platforms, as Apple designed it to look and function similar to the Apple TV app everywhere else.

Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X - Which is best for Apple users?

Sony notoriously does not play well with others. The company's consoles have been resistant to outside influence or interaction, the Playstation Network has several lock-in effects, and even Playstation exclusive titles cannot be played anywhere else. The same approach has been taken for iOS compatibility with features, meeting the bare minimum of what is expected by gamers.

That being said, the Playstation app experience is not a bad one. While more limited than Xbox, the crucial features are there like remote gaming, game library management, and voice chat in-app. For most gamers this will be enough, but Xbox does have an edge.

Xbox has more family friendly features and an app dedicated to family screen time management. It has better social features with access to the screenshots and video recordings on the console in-app, and its system management is more comprehensive.

Xbox also has a few additional perks due to being owned by Microsoft. The Xbox Game Pass can be used on Windows 10 and has been announced for future iOS capabilities. Sony has not made any such promise for the future of Playstation Now, but they have announced an initiative to bring Playstation exclusives to PC for the first time.

Regardless of which console you choose or the reasons behind it, you'll have a tightly integrated experience with your Apple devices. Remote console management, remote gaming, and chat tools are available for both app ecosystems. Xbox has a slight lead in terms of family management and future plans for Apple compatibility.

Pricing and availability

The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S launched on November 10 for $499 and $299 respectively. The Playstation 5 consoles launched on November 12 at $499 or $399 for the Digital Edition. It has been tough for customers to purchase the next-generation consoles, though sporadic sales can be found online as inventory becomes available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Let me know when Grand Theft Auto will be available.
    pulseimagesforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 2 of 27
    After decades of suffering Microsoft products I never could bring myself to buy an XBox, but did use one belonging to my boss a few times.
    It was not great compared to the PlayStation at that time.
    So I’ve stayed in the Sony camp for a more premium experience.
    Series S is low end garbage from what I’ve seen/read, not really next-gen.

That said I use the PS entirely separately from my Apple kit. I did try remote play on my iMac and while it did work it wasn’t the same so resorted to returning to the TV. Just more fun sat on the sofa gaming.

Anyone serious will have already pre-ordered their choice anyhow me thinks.

The 3d audio on the PS5 intrigues me and the new DualSense controller sounds pretty epic, hope that works with iPad games.
    razorpitcat52viclauyycpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I own both PS4 and Xbox One. Easily will be getting the Series X first before eventually getting a PS5, most likely next year when the price comes down. Xbox simply has the better online experience. And their newly redone iPhone app is great. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    When Microsoft bought Bungie, killed the (working) Macintosh Halo game in order to create an Xbox version for use as their premiere launch title, I decided to never own an Xbox...  and I never have.  Looking forward to purchasing the PS5 (especially with the updated VR system).

For all their aesthetically pleasing designs, Sony really didn't do a good job with the asymmetric look of the optical drive PS5.  Ah well, still not an Xbox.  :-)
    elijahgviclauyycpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I believe that they are on a par as there are no special innovations except for the price!

edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    For me, it will be the PS5 only. I am not much of a gamer and the only game I generally buy is the Mortal Kombat series. I'm sure the kids may find some games they'd want as well.

That said, I'll wait for a bit before jumping in. I'm definitely going for the disc version. An additional 4K Blu-ray player is always welcome.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm normally a PS guy, but the console is so damn huge.  I'll sit this one out for a while, there's still loads of great PS4 games to get through.
    razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Strange design decisions by both companies in this generation. They seem to be able to understand what works best for controllers but not for the console box. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Strange design decisions by both companies in this generation. They seem to be able to understand what works best for controllers but not for the console box. 
    How so?  Both companies addressed the most important issues regarding the console box:  Speed (load times, frame rates, storage, etc.), heat mitigation, and noise levels (Big ups to Sony on reportedly lessening noise levels significantly.  My PS4Pro sounds like a jet taking off.  OneX was never really loud, just higher pitched.).  From all indications both consoles knocked it out of the part regarding the aforementioned issues.  Design decisions are always going to be polarizing.  Some are going to like one, some the other, some both, some neither.  End of the day, the functionality is what matters.  I think we got two functional home runs.  What do you think they missed?
    edited November 2020 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 27
    When Microsoft bought Bungie, killed the (working) Macintosh Halo game in order to create an Xbox version for use as their premiere launch title, I decided to never own an Xbox...  and I never have.  Looking forward to purchasing the PS5 (especially with the updated VR system).

For all their aesthetically pleasing designs, Sony really didn't do a good job with the asymmetric look of the optical drive PS5.  Ah well, still not an Xbox.  :-)
    So ... Microsoft did what Apple does all the time - buy a company whose products were multiplatform and made it a company exclusive - and you complain about it? Talk about entitled. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Hilarious. When companies emulate the design language of the Mac Pro, Mac Mini, Apple TV, MacBook (and of course iPhone and iPad) Apple folks bash them. When companies come up with their own unique design language ... Apple folks bash them. How about just root for Apple to make their own console then?

Good grief. Look at the INTERNALS of the PS5 and XBX. After you do that, please provide a different design that wouldn't result in a 3 alarm fire from the octacore Zen 2 CPU and RDNA2 GPU from overheating. There is no design in the current acceptable Apple design language - whether the rounded box like the Apple TV and Mac Mini or the trashcan like the Mac Pro - that would have gotten either anywhere near 8K and 120Hz. 
    edited November 2020 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Sony notoriously does not play well with others. The company's consoles have been resistant to outside influence or interaction, the Playstation Network has several lock-in effects, and even Playstation exclusive titles cannot be played anywhere else.

So ... then Sony has the Apple business model then. Oh ... I get it. You guys want to keep nearly all Apple products and services locked into Apple's ecosystem while expecting other companies to open their ecosystems up to Apple! That's rich especially considering that even when Sony does relent to market forces and make an xCloud/GeForce Now/Stadia competitor Apple will block it from iOS and iPadOS too and force Sony to make a PWA (not exactly an area of expertise for them). 

Here's a thought: maybe the walled garden approach works as well for XBox as it does for Apple? As Sony has:
    1. the #1, #2, #3 and #5 selling consoles (PS2, PS4, PS and PS3)
    2. the only console to exceed 105 million in sales (155, 112 ... with the Wii the only non-PS console to reach 85 million by barely cracking 100 million)
    3. the only current generation console to reach 70 million (and before the Switch the only one to reach 50 million)

then just maybe the walled garden strategy is working as well for Sony as it is for Apple?

Please remember: Nintendo didn't open things up by choice. They did so only because the combination of the Wii U tanking and competition with iOS (in the U.S.) and Android (globally) for casual gaming meant that they needed to do something to keep from going bankrupt. So - among other things - Nintendo was forced to break with decades of tradition allow mature titles on the Switch to compete (and they did so very quietly).

Meanwhile Microsoft can no longer milk Halo, Asian markets continue to ignore the XBox and Intel's new i5 and higher Tiger Lake chips are capable of 1080p gaming without discrete GPUs meaning that the starting price for gaming PCs and desktops will drop to under $500. This makes xCloud their only play for relevance.

So, as PlayStation still rules the roost in console gaming with its competitors not really being close, there is really no need for them to change their approach. If they do, it would be to take yet another shot at a Switch-type handheld. (Would likely need to run Android, however, to succeed where the PlayStation Vita failed ... which ironically mean that it would run PlayStation games AND xCloud!!!)
    edited November 2020 razorpitmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 27
    cloudguy said:

So ... Microsoft did what Apple does all the time - buy a company whose products were multiplatform and made it a company exclusive - and you complain about it? Talk about entitled. 
    Entitled?  I have no idea where that comes from.

Try to keep a little perspective here.  When Microsoft purchased Bungie (in 2009) there were hundreds (thousands?) of game developers in the Microsoft universe and VERY few in the Macintosh universe.  Bungie was a Macintosh only developer for years before they decided to branch out into the Windows marketplace - I still have a copy or two of Minotaur from '92.  When Apple purchases a company which supports multiple platforms and makes it Macintosh only, it is not as if there is a dearth of other companies providing similar or identical products for those other platforms.  The closest equivalent hypothetical scenario I can come up with would be Apple purchasing Blizzard in 2003 (assuming they would have been able to) just before the release of WoW and then canning the Windows version and making it Macintosh only.  Even then, there were many other MMORPGs in the Windows universe.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Since the new consoles were announced, I've been saying two things:

If you already have a reasonably up to date gaming PC, and also want a console, buy a PlayStation.  Most, if not all, of the X-Box games  (and all of the really good ones) will be on the PC version of Microsoft Game Pass, so you get the best of both worlds.

If consoles are your thing, and you don't want to shell out for a gaming PC, get whichever one has the largest catalogue of games that you want to play.

Both of the new consoles are roughly equivalent, with the differences mostly being "quality of life" and preference items.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    CloudTalkin said: What do you think they missed?
    I guess I wasn't specific enough. I'm talking about the industrial design, not the CPU/GPU engineering. One of the most common questions about both designs when they were originally unveiled was whether or not they could still be used horizontally. If you're designing a product that is supposed to be able to be used vertically/horizontally, that's just bad design. It's obvious in both cases that the designers were treating the vertical orientation as the primary goal and horizontal orientation as a mere technicality.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27

cloudguy said: Good grief. Look at the INTERNALS of the PS5 and XBX. After you do that, please provide a different design that wouldn't result in a 3 alarm fire from the octacore Zen 2 CPU and RDNA2 GPU from catching fire.
    The PS5 and Xbox Series X already have two different design approaches for heat dissipation and two different sizes. It's not an issue with finding a "different" design/size, but rather a "better" design/size that would actually look just as good horizontally as vertically and not have major issues for footprint in either direction. 
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member

I think that MS acquiring Bungie  / Halo instead of Apple was the right thing, considering how well MS is doing with XBox and how slow Apple have been in the gaming market.  
  • Reply 18 of 27
    CloudTalkin said: What do you think they missed?
    I guess I wasn't specific enough. I'm talking about the industrial design, not the CPU/GPU engineering. One of the most common questions about both designs when they were originally unveiled was whether or not they could still be used horizontally. If you're designing a product that is supposed to be able to be used vertically/horizontally, that's just bad design. It's obvious in both cases that the designers were treating the vertical orientation as the primary goal and horizontal orientation as a mere technicality.
    That question was answered almost immediately after the reveal of both consoles, and the answer was yes.  So I don't really understand the point you're going after.  Bad design would be a console that can only be used in one orientation.  Not a console that can be used in both.  You're right, it is obvious both design teams treated the vertical orientation as the primary.  That was never a secret.  That's pretty much always been the case, a primary and secondary orientation going back to the OG XBOX and the Playstation 2.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    danvm said:

I think that MS acquiring Bungie  / Halo instead of Apple was the right thing, considering how well MS is doing with XBox and how slow Apple have been in the gaming market.  
    I wasn't suggesting Apple should have purchased Bungie...  Just that Microsoft should not have.  There were (and are) plenty of Windows gaming companies who's purchase would not have impacted the Macintosh gaming market.

I was incorrect on the year Microsoft acquired Bungie.  It was 2000, not 2009 (I have no idea how I got that wrong).  Think of the Macintosh gaming world in those days...  and shudder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danvm said:

I wasn't suggesting Apple should have purchased Bungie...  Just that Microsoft should not have.  There were (and are) plenty of Windows gaming companies who's purchase would not have impacted the Macintosh gaming market.

I was incorrect on the year Microsoft acquired Bungie.  It was 2000, not 2009 (I have no idea how I got that wrong).  Think of the Macintosh gaming world in those days...  and shudder.
    Like I posted before, the success of XBox and Halo makes me think it was the right choice.  You mention about other gaming companies, but I don't think there were other companies at the time with the resources MS had to invest in completing Halo, specially when you consider the financial issues Bungie had at that time.