MagSafe Duo review: almost everything you need, but has too many compromises

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Apple's MagSafe Duo charging solution is now available. After spending some time with it, we are on the fence about the company's latest iPhone 12 accessory.

MagSafe Duo
MagSafe Duo

With Apple's latest iPhones, there are more ways than ever to charge. The most unique, is MagSafe. At the moment, the only official options are Apple's MagSafe charging puck or the new MagSafe Duo. Soon, third-party options will flood the market, including options from Belkin and Scosche, but for the time being, we have Apple's to consider.

MagSafe Duo - Design

MagSafe Duo is a simple enough product. On one side is a MagSafe wireless charger and on the right is an integrated Apple Watch charging puck. The charging puck operates similar to Apple's own Apple Watch charging stand in that the puck is metal-encased and can flip up or lay flat.

MagSafe Duo
MagSafe Duo is powered by Lightning

On the opposing side is the MagSafe charger. Unlike the standalone MagSafe charger that you can use as you hold your phone and move around, MagSafe Duo is intended to be more of a dock where your phone is placed.

MagSafe Duo works with Qi devices
MagSafe Duo works with Qi devices

Unlike a standard wireless charger or a dual-device wireless charger, MagSafe helps align your phone, so when you toss your iPhone on it, it gets pulled right to where it needs to be. Aside from iPhone 12 models with MagSafe, it will charge any Qi-enabled device as well.

Apple designed the charger in a stark white color that feels soft to the touch. We haven't had this long, but we worry slightly about how dirty it will get if we take it off our desk too often.

MagSafe Duo folds for travel
MagSafe Duo folds for travel

That's important, as the Magsafe Duo is intended to work on your desk or nightstand, but also when traveling. It folds in half to be tossed in your bag and brought with you wherever you go.

There's only one port on the MagSafe Duo, a Lightning port. This is used to power up the charger, but unfortunately, the requisite power brick isn't included in the box.

MagSafe Duo - Durability

AppleInsider partnered with a testing lab in the metro Washington DC area to test the hinge. With one fold made every nine seconds in a lab at 19C, with a fan pointing directly at the device to minimize the impact of heat, the lab found that the hinge started to break down at 180 folds and ultimately failed at 212. Whether or not you're going to see fatigue failure in the hinge very much depends on your use case. It works out to about only one fold or unfold every four days over two years before fatigue failure on that hinge could rear its ugly head, based on these tests.

MagSafe Duo is perfect for on the go
MagSafe Duo tucked in our Peak Design Tech Pouch

If you are one who is a heavy traveler, folding and unfolding the charger every day, these tests may cause you to reconsider.

The fabric on the outside also will likely get dirty quickly for users who travel with it. It has a matte finish and will take dirt on easily. It can be wiped clean, but that isn't always convenient or possible while traveling.

Charging performance

As a technology, MagSafe is capable of charging an iPhone 12 model at speeds up to 15W, which is just shy of the maximum an iPhone can accept wired, which is 18W. MagSafe Duo is limited slightly more, maxing out at only 14W of power.

MagSafe Duo is very slim
MagSafe Duo is very slim

There's a limitation within MagSafe that reduces that charging speed to only 14W rather than 15W. It could be that the device uses Lightning rather than USB-C, the total combined heat from the Apple Watch side with MagSafe or something else entirely.

It's a little frustrating that Apple introduces MagSafe, touts high speeds, then promptly introduces its dual charger with slower speeds again. Even to get the maximum 14W speeds, MagSafe Duo requires a hefty 27W minimum USB-C power brick. If you have a 20W power brick, you'll be limited to only 11W of wireless charging.

MagSafe Duo
MagSafe Duo on nightstand

Charging speed isn't the end all-be all, especially if you intend this to be an overnight charging solution, but it is worth pointing outs its efficiency.

We also wanted to reiterate that while this is a MagSafe charger and performs best with the iPhone 12, MagSafe works with any Qi-enabled device. That could be your AirPods, your family member's phone, or any other Qi device you have lying around.

Should you buy the MagSafe Duo wireless charger?

Our biggest issue is that MagSafe Duo is expensive -- even for Apple. If you went with just cables, you would only need the cables included in the box with Apple Watch and iPhone. That makes MagSafe Duo and entirely luxury experience with mild conveniences.

There are countless alternatives besides just your in-box cables. If you wanted to go with MagSafe, you could pick up the MagSafe cable for $39 and use your Apple Watch charging puck. This setup even enables you to pick up and hold your phone while it charges and get faster speeds.

When it comes to docks, Apple has a history of charging large sums. Take Apple's Apple Watch Dock. This charger, which is very similar to MagSafe Duo, runs you $79. Suppose you wanted to replicate the MagSafe Duo functionality with a MagSafe charger and an Apple Watch Dock. In that case, you're already spending $120, making MagSafe Duo only a $10 premium, and it only requires one power brick.

MagSafe Duo requires a 27W USB-C power brick for max speed
MagSafe Duo requires a 27W USB-C power brick for max speed

If the dock itself isn't pricey enough at $129, you also have to factor in the USB-C power brick. If you want the max speed and a brick of at least 27W, you have a few options. Apple's is a whopping $49 which gets you a 30W brick. Aukey has a decent 27W brick for $22 but we'd probably go with this ultra-slim Anker model for $23.

Combined, that puts a hefty price tag on Apple's all-in-one solution.

Aside from the high price tag with slower speeds, this also cannot charge a third item. If you want to charge your AirPods at the same time as your iPhone and Apple Watch -- a task we find quite common -- you will still require an additional charger. Many three-in-one docks are available for a comparable price, and other dual chargers put a USB port on the rear for optionally charging that third device. It would have been nice for Apple to do just that.

MagSafe Duo
MagSafe Duo

We love MagSafe Duo for what it is, but the high price tag gets harder to justify the more compromises you consider. The price, the slower speeds, the ability to charge only two devices, and the durability. Apple users will probably flock to MagSafe Duo -- we still bought one -- but you have to work harder to justify it. Fortunately, "it's cool" can be plenty enough justification.

Pros
  • Compact all-in-one design

• Classic Apple aesthetics

• Uses the same Lightning cable as iPhone

• Apple Watch can be used flat or in Nightstand mode

• Works with any Qi-enabled device

• Lightning to USB-C cable included
Cons
  • Expensive for what it offers

• Questionable durability of hinge

• White finish can get dirty quickly

• Only 14W of power, max

• USB-C brick isn't included in the box

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Where to buy

MagSafe Duo is still rolling out through the supply chain, so aside from Apple, you are limited to picking it up through Best Buy for $129.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    There's certainly an argument to be made that it's more expensive than one would like. But on the question of not including a wall a charger, I imagine if this is intended for use as a travel charging device that the expectation is you bring the wall charger you normally use with you? That's what I would end up doing with it, anyway.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    It can be wiped clean, but that isn't always convenient or possible while traveling.

If only there as a way to clean it after I arrive. 🤔

peterhartwilliamlondonrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    One needs Duo charger at lower price so it's ok without magnetic feature and 3rd party have plenty opportunity to offer it.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Can a MagSafe iPhone be simply and quickly removed without flipping the charger around? In other words, is the charger heavy enough that the user doesn’t need to take care when removing their phone or does the charger need to be affixed to the nightstand?
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Rayz2016 said:
    It can be wiped clean, but that isn't always convenient or possible while traveling.

If only there as a way to clean it after I arrive. 🤔

Totally get this criticism of my review. I know I've stuck in spots though where I've spilled something even on my clothes and didn't have anything handy to wipe it off. If you are out and is gets something on it, you can't do anything while traveling, letting it just sit there. By the time you get to your hotel, do you have any cleaning stuff? Do you have a spare towel and soap (other than shampoo or lotion-infused hand soap?). I just hate that you have to worry about that at all. I have plenty of chargers and I've never thought to myself "I sure hope there are some cleaning products at my hotel for my charger that got all grimy while using it."
    MplsPTheObannonFile
  • Reply 6 of 43

cpsro said:
    Can a MagSafe iPhone be simply and quickly removed without flipping the charger around? In other words, is the charger heavy enough that the user doesn’t need to take care when removing their phone or does the charger need to be affixed to the nightstand?
    Watch the video to see my do it one-handed. It is solid feeling, but not heavy enough to hold itself down. When I pick up my phone, my fingers just wap around the back edge a hair which breaks the magnetic attraction and easily allows me to lift it free. It isn't perfect, but it isn't hard to remove it one-handed. The normal MagSafe charger is much more difficult as it doesn't have the edges around it like this does.
    caladanianwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    If the dock itself isn't pricey enough at $129, you also have to factor in the USB-C power brick. 
    But wait - I thought the reason Apple quit supplying chargers with their phones was because everyone already had one and it was just electronic waste. The USB-C power brick should be a non-issue then, right? /s

Seriously, $130 for a folding charger that doesn't even include a power supply, has low power output and that breaks after 175-200 folds? How about just bringing with a lightning cable. Faster, cheaper and you probably have one already.
    williamlondonFoodLoverrazorpit
  • Reply 8 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    There's certainly an argument to be made that it's more expensive than one would like. But on the question of not including a wall a charger, I imagine if this is intended for use as a travel charging device that the expectation is you bring the wall charger you normally use with you? That's what I would end up doing with it, anyway.
    Except how many people have a spare 30w brick laying around? Since Apple has never included anything more than the paltry 5w cube with iPhones and even the iPad chargers were only 20w I'd bet not many.
    williamlondonTheObannonFileFoodLoverrazorpit
  • Reply 9 of 43
    cpsro said:
    Other review videos confirmed that you must use two hands or multiple fingers to get the phone off the magnet or you will take that entire charger with you if you pick up the phone, and likely your watch will fly across the room if you do it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 43
    I"m normally not a complainer about Apple prices. They are what they are, and you get what you get, and you either think the products are worth it or not. But sometimes Apple just goes too far and this dock crosses the line for me. $130 for a 2-product dock and they don't include the 27-watt power brick you'll need for best recharging speeds?! Or ANY power brick at all? WTH, Apple? The results of your hinge testing are also very disconcerting--you'd think that with a hinged product intended for travel, the long term durability of that hinge would be assured. Great review and very fair criticisms. 
    williamlondonJapheyTheObannonFilefastasleeprazorpit
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Love that the cheap material holding the two sides together fails after about 200 'folds'.  This has to be the biggest joke of a product Apple has ever made, and talk about overpriced!  You can charge faster with the $19 USB-C charger and your included cable, and carry less with you while traveling to charge your devices!
    williamlondonrazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Love that the cheap material holding the two sides together fails after about 200 'folds'. 
    I find those claims from the testing hard to believe. The material looks similar to Apple's polyurethane iPad Pro covers (which also have a folding hinge), and the 2015 version that I own shows no signs of wear on the hinge at all after 5 years of use. 
    williamlondonTheObannonFilewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 43
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Apple is having a lend.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Great review, but it seems like a 2.5 star rating was more appropriate considering the critique given.
    Japheyentropysrazorpit
  • Reply 15 of 43
    cpsro said:
    Other review videos confirmed that you must use two hands or multiple fingers to get the phone off the magnet or you will take that entire charger with you if you pick up the phone, and likely your watch will fly across the room if you do it.
    Watch. The. Video. Very easy to pick up one handed, you just have be sure to separate the magnet with your finger tips as you do. But it isn't an issue at all, even testing with Apple's biggest phone. If you do just grab and yank, sure -- it will go flying.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43

Love that the cheap material holding the two sides together fails after about 200 'folds'. 
    I find those claims from the testing hard to believe. The material looks similar to Apple's polyurethane iPad Pro covers (which also have a folding hinge), and the 2015 version that I own shows no signs of wear on the hinge at all after 5 years of use. 
    We trust our lab's findings.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Hiring a lab for Appleinsider to review is quite fancy, good job guys. I read news often in here but never participate in the forums, but I had to complement you guys on the in depth great review 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    gatorguyCheeseFreezerazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I found this device intriguing, but the more I read about it I just keep thinking that products from other companies are better and cheaper. 
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Andrew_OSU said: We trust our lab's findings.
    You don't need to trust their findings. You could duplicate 212 openings/closings by hand without any special equipment and in a very short period of time. That's the reason I find the result hard to believe. Apple isn't going to randomly choose a material without having any idea of how it would hold up to opening/closing. 
    edited December 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    The HomePod mini is $99 and includes a 20W charger. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the pricing of this thing.

The last time I was this befuddled by an Apple product and its pricing was the iPad Pro Smart Folio which was $80, which was flimsy and and had sharpish uncomfortable edges. I was so disappointed in that product I almost wrote Tim Cook. :) Bought a 3rd party substitute for about $12 that was more comfortable to use and only marginally thicker/heavier.
    Japheyentropyswatto_cobra