Apple opens repair program for iPhone 11 touchscreen issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2020
Apple on Friday launched a worldwide repair service program for iPhone 11 devices suffering from a display module issue that causes screens to stop responding to touch input.

iPhone 11

The "iPhone 11 Display Module Replacement Program for Touch Issues" covers models of the handset manufactured between November 2019 and May 2020, Apple said in an announcement posted to its website.

According to the company, a "small percentage" of iPhone 11 models are impacted by the problem, which was traced back to a faulty display module. It is unclear how many units are affected or covered by the repair program.

Owners of iPhone 11 handsets that present touchscreen troubles can input their unit's serial number into an automated verification system on Apple's support website. If eligible, Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will replace or repair the device free of charge.

Apple notes other hardware damage that might impede the repair process, like a cracked screen, will need to be fixed prior to service. Customers might bear the cost of those initial repairs. Similarly, customers are eligible for a refund if they paid for repair services now covered by the new program.

Like most Apple service programs, the iPhone 11 plan does not extend standard warranty coverage and covers affected devices for two years after first retail purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I just got an iPhone 11 and I have this problem were the touch screen stop responding, it seem like software issue I'll have have to check to see if my serial number is included.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    It’s almost like they waited for iPhone 12 to launch. Or something.
    stephen714twokatmew
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Is the screen on the iPhone 11 the same or similar?  It seems I’ve been waiting forever for a new iPhone to buy that doesn’t have problems. Then my iPhone 7+ starts with the battery problem today. It was fine until I put it into power saving mode and when I turned that off I started getting serious problem messages about the battery. I keep the phone plugged in most of the time and had a new battery put in when Apple got caught slowing down phones due to battery issues.  This is really too long to wait for a new phone. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,108member
    Wow. I’m glad I didn’t upgrade to the 11 after all. I know, it’s “a small number” that are affected, but still. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Is the screen on the iPhone 11 the same or similar?  It seems I’ve been waiting forever for a new iPhone to buy that doesn’t have problems. Then my iPhone 7+ starts with the battery problem today. It was fine until I put it into power saving mode and when I turned that off I started getting serious problem messages about the battery. I keep the phone plugged in most of the time and had a new battery put in when Apple got caught slowing down phones due to battery issues.  This is really too long to wait for a new phone. 
    The same or similar to what? iPhone 11 has Liquid LCD screen while 11 Pro is OLED. All iPhone 12 models are OLED.
    twokatmew
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ssalbssalb Posts: 14member

Leaving your phone plugged in and charged at 100% for long periods is not helping your situation. Li-on chemistry does not like that. Running your battery down to less than 20% and back up to 100% all the time dramatically reduces its capacity over time as does fast charging. That battery replacement deal ended December 2018, two years ago.
    Not sure when you had yours replaced, but if charging like that, it could be time for another new battery. Not Apple's fault, that's just they way ALL Li-on batteries work.

If you plan on keeping a phone for longer than two years which I did with my iPhone 7+, went from that to an 11 Pro max with the original battery, try to follow the 80% - 20% charge cycle. While not practical to do that all the time, it will extend the life of your battery.
    twokatmewmuthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 7 of 7
    My iphone 11 intermittently stops responding to touch.  Sometimes it just starts responding, other time I have to restart the phone.  Never had such an issue, having used iPhones from day 1. However, my iphone serial number is not included in the recall!?

Will have to call Apple:(