Apple releases HomePod software update 14.2.1

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Monday afternoon, the HomePod and HomePod mini received a software update to version 14.2.1 providing bug fixes and stability improvements to users.

HomePod OS update 14.2.1 now available
HomePod OS update 14.2.1 now available

The HomePod and HomePod mini run a specialized version of tvOS and receive updates sporadically when compared to Apple's other operating systems. Updates generally include bug fixes and improvements for features attached to the larger ecosystem.

The last HomePod software update was for version 14.1 which included support for HomePod mini and new features like Intercom. The updates normally skip numbers to match whatever current iOS or tvOS version is currently available.

The HomePod mini released in November for $100 and features the same Siri interactions and great sound associated with the original HomePod. AppleInsider reviewed the HomePod mini and gave it 4.5 out of 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Will we see an update that provides the original HomePods with the Thread feature found on the HomePod mini? I understand that it can be enabled via software, if Apple is so inclined.

See equality72521's response below for what the Thread feature is about? It is found on the HomePod mini.
    edited December 2020 mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    mobird said:
    Will we see an update that provides the original HomePods with the Thread feature found on the HomePod mini? I understand that it can be enabled via software, if Apple is so inclined.
    What is that?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    A couple years ago one of my HK switches and sometimes my HPs themselves would disconnect or get a little flaky...but gotta say things have been working without a hitch with these later iOS versions. Dunno if it's iOS or vendor firmware or both, but am happy it's been sorted.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    elijahg said:
    mobird said:
    What is that?

“Thread is a low-power IP-based networking technology for connecting Internet of Things (IoT) devices, offering a secure, mesh-based system that makes it easy to build an ecosystem of devices.”

mobirdRayz2016ioniclewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    mobird said:

See equality72521's response below for what the Thread feature is about? It is found on the HomePod mini.

Just need my accessories to support Thread, even more so than my original HP.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I wish somebody would test the HP and the HPm for use with video. Audio not nearly perfectly synced bugs the hell outta me.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Just an Atmos update.

I goto the Disney+ app, with a FULL 5.1.2 system that has/does Atmos, I goto Mandalorian latest episode, and shows DD|Vision}Atmos logo.  Plays great the Presence speakers firing.  I switch to HomePods (Stereo Pair), kill all apps, restart.  I goto Disney+ still shows DD|Vision}Atmos logo, watch the whole epsiode for the 5th time ;).  When the episode is over I goto the "splash screen" for Mandalorian and shows DD|Vision|5.1

SUCKS...  I heve heard and seen that in the TV+ app it shows/works but...  Hoepfully it's just the Disney+ app.  BUT here is something, the 5.1 with a HomePod on the Left and Rght sides of me?!?  Sound insanely good so...

Just would be nice if they would show Atmos in Disney+ with HomePods chosen, cause supposedly Atmos was the 14.2 feature!

Laters...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    macgui said:
    I wish somebody would test the HP and the HPm for use with video. Audio not nearly perfectly synced bugs the hell outta me.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210526
    emoellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I just picked up two more HP to match with two singles in two rooms I got last year.  Stereo is great, but I wish it offered a balance feature between L and R speakers, as it is tough to find the sweet spot.  A solution would just be to manually turn volumes up and down for individual speakers in a stereo pair.

Dweme, thanks for the link regarding syncing TV 4k - it works well.  But not sure I am getting full ATMOS sound effects.

Rumor has it the new TV will debut tomorrow (Tuesday)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Can Apple Tv link to four HPs yet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    emoeller said:
    I just picked up two more HP to match with two singles in two rooms I got last year.  Stereo is great, but I wish it offered a balance feature between L and R speakers, as it is tough to find the sweet spot.  A solution would just be to manually turn volumes up and down for individual speakers in a stereo pair.

Dweme, thanks for the link regarding syncing TV 4k - it works well.  But not sure I am getting full ATMOS sound effects.

I thought we were waiting for new headphones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    emoeller said:

I am pretty sure you can adjust the left/right balance in the ATV's Accessibility settings.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    emoeller said:

That's one of the differences between HomePods and Home Theater setups:   HomePods manage themselves.   With a AV receiver you get a lot more manual control.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mobird said:

I’ve had LIFX globes (WiFi) for a while. There is always a delay (a second or more) and can often become unresponsive. 

I bought some nanoleaf lights and strips (BTLE and Thread) in anticipation of my coming HomePod mini. 

Still got delays of a second or more (even up to 5). 

Having them switch over to thread with the HomePod mini is night and day. Their response is near instantaneous now. Just need all other HomeKit gear to get on board with thread. 
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mobird said:

I’ve had LIFX globes (WiFi) for a while. There is always a delay (a second or more) and can often become unresponsive. 

I bought some nanoleaf lights and strips (BTLE and Thread) in anticipation of my coming HomePod mini. 

Still got delays of a second or more (even up to 5). 

Having them switch over to thread with the HomePod mini is night and day. Their response is near instantaneous now. Just need all other HomeKit gear to get on board with thread. 

Why are you complaining about a second delay?
    ... Oh yeh!  Because when it happens it feels like an eternity rather than a second.

Thanks for the tip about thread!