Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I did a search () to see if this was already discussed, but found nothing.

Are they coming soon? Not at all?

Just curious. I like pretty pictures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

I did a search () to see if this was already discussed, but found nothing.

Are they coming soon? Not at all?

Just curious. I like pretty pictures.

Hell yeah! I completely agree! Me wantee...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    This was discussed long ago in the Suggestions forum. I'm not sure why the search didn't catch it.

Anyhow, we decided against them. In short, we decided they'd use too much bandwidth and be too gaudy.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't know Brad, personally I'd love to see this beneath your 10.81 posts per day:

• Reply 4 of 11
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I don't know Brad, personally I'd love to see this beneath your 10.81 posts per day:

I second that!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

This was discussed long ago in the Suggestions forum. I'm not sure why the search didn't catch it.

Anyhow, we decided against them. In short, we decided they'd use too much bandwidth and be too gaudy.

A small 100 x 100 or 80 x 80 avatar wouldn't use up too much bandwidth and the posts per page could be reduced to 30 to compensate as well.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I can't find a bunch of old threads i have looked for... the more recent ones work fine tho...

things like the official appleinsider word association thread v2 or whatever can't be found (i can find v1 (and it is unlocked) )

maybe the search index got messed up because it is so big?

P.S. how do i make the default behavior in safari for spellcheck to be check spelling?

P.P.S how about making the heading for "Appleinsider - Reply to Topic" into "Appleinsider - Reply to [subject of thread]"

thanks

P.P.P.S. NO AVATARS!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    You guys are teases. Jon says go forth, explore, 'i think you'll enjoy what you find'. I find signautres accept html! Boom, img sig. Avatars go under your name, and I'm against them. But allowing img sigs would be nice. You could limit the size of them... and they'd be hosted on a users server so it wouldn't leech your bandwidth, and i doubt everyone is going to have some place to host their images so there couldn't be that many users with them

That's not too big eh?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thread hijack alert,

serrano Make sure you fix your sig, it turned mine into HTML aswell. I`m gussing something with the ubb parser and the serperate ways ubb and vb handle links..
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Sorry, guys, but avatars is one issue that we're holding our ground on. Both Jon and I are in strong agreement on this one, Jon even once saying "the day you see avatars on this board is the day i resign." Here are a few such threads that asked about avatars:

Some Feature Requests

No images in the signatures

Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I can't find a bunch of old threads i have looked for... the more recent ones work fine tho...

things like the official appleinsider word association thread v2 or whatever can't be found (i can find v1 (and it is unlocked) )

I rebuilt the search index overnight. Searches should work much better now.

Quote:

P.S. how do i make the default behavior in safari for spellcheck to be check spelling?

File a complaint/bug report with Apple. \

Quote:

P.P.S how about making the heading for "Appleinsider - Reply to Topic" into "Appleinsider - Reply to [subject of thread]"

Not a bad idea. I'll put it on the to-do list.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

Hmmm....

• Reply 11 of 11
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    After thinking about it, I?ve come to the point where I?m against the idea of avatars as well. I believe It would ruin the somewhat-moderate elegance of the place.

Appearance, not content. As there was never any elegance to the latter to begin with.