dual 1.42 trouble

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So my new Dual 1.42 arrived after 7 weeks wait. Finally I can retire my old 400mhz G4 and go flying with the new machine.

Well, so far nothing but problems...

I'm constantly seeing that damn beach ball, when I switch between programs sometimes for 30 seconds before it'll let me back in, and when I start up a program (After Effects takes twice as long to load as on the old 400mhz machine). Sometimes I just get the ball, it won't go away and I have to force quit.

The screen stays dark when I boot up untile the very last second of the splash screen (though the boot time is quick)

After Effects has frozen several times during a render and nothing will get me out of it except holding the power key to shutdown.

The startup chime weirdly fades in on my external speakers, though not from the built in speaker, which behaves as normal.

I keep getting Error -2147352480 when I try to burn a DVD

I've re-installed the system and fixed permissions.

I'm not very happy.

oh yes, and the machine won't boot up from the Apple Hardware Test CD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    what OS do you have?

how much RAM do you have?

things we could be able to like to know?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    OS 10.2.4, 2x512mb ram
  • Reply 3 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    ram was installed by who?

c'mon, give us more to work on...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    ok, RAM installed by MacMall - it was a freebie 512mb.

I have 2 other internal drives installed, one 120gb and one 180gb, both Western Digital Caviar.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Mmm... could be bad ram, try removing one out and see if you can do stuff like boot the hardware test cd.