Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    wood1208 said:
    People already using 3rd party USB type-c PD chargers to charge iPhone for sometime. So, it was expected that Apple will offer similar anytime.
    I think that’s part of the “landfill” issue. If Apple would include modern chargers with their products people would use them and not put them in drawers.
    Not even close. People put them in drawers because they have too many, not because they don't work. Apple could easily include one of these "modern" (aka GaN chargers) in every box but it would still be the same result. You'd probably take a 5W GaN charger with you on a trip over their old 5W charger because it's smaller in size, but it doesn't solve the problem of having a drawer full of chargers. Of course, I'm sure your odd use of "modern" also is meant to include a higher output than the 5W, but to what end? As we've recently seen with rare planning by Apple, they have many recent PSU releases that don't work with their latest HW releases. Gruber details of this well...

https://daringfireball.net/2020/12/charger_nerdery

But back to the point about the landfill issue. Including a charger designed for one specific device doesn't solve the landfill issue when these devices don't usually break so need updating so we're not so inclined to somehow sell the old one to get the latest one being marketed every year. I don't care what iPhone charger Apple offers I will continue to use a very beefy one with multiple ports tor traveling,  have stationary Qi charging devices throughout my homes, and (for the time being) use a USB-A port in my vehicle for charging. That is a very common scenario.

This was long overdue, but I do with they had offered the included charger with a USB-C port interface for a couple years before pulling the plug.
    So everyone is happily using the 5W charger they received with their iPhone 3GS? Didn’t know that.
    What part of "in a drawer" and unused is difficult for you to understand? Qanon is really killing your brain cells.

He likely understands the reason they're "in a drawer" -- they're just old and obsolete.   Yeh, those old 5W chargers will charge a phone -- eventually -- just like a horse will get you to Chicago -- eventually.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 33
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    wood1208 said:
    People already using 3rd party USB type-c PD chargers to charge iPhone for sometime. So, it was expected that Apple will offer similar anytime.
    I think that’s part of the “landfill” issue. If Apple would include modern chargers with their products people would use them and not put them in drawers.
    Not even close. People put them in drawers because they have too many, not because they don't work. Apple could easily include one of these "modern" (aka GaN chargers) in every box but it would still be the same result. You'd probably take a 5W GaN charger with you on a trip over their old 5W charger because it's smaller in size, but it doesn't solve the problem of having a drawer full of chargers. Of course, I'm sure your odd use of "modern" also is meant to include a higher output than the 5W, but to what end? As we've recently seen with rare planning by Apple, they have many recent PSU releases that don't work with their latest HW releases. Gruber details of this well...

But back to the point about the landfill issue. Including a charger designed for one specific device doesn't solve the landfill issue when these devices don't usually break so need updating so we're not so inclined to somehow sell the old one to get the latest one being marketed every year. I don't care what iPhone charger Apple offers I will continue to use a very beefy one with multiple ports tor traveling,  have stationary Qi charging devices throughout my homes, and (for the time being) use a USB-A port in my vehicle for charging. That is a very common scenario.

This was long overdue, but I do with they had offered the included charger with a USB-C port interface for a couple years before pulling the plug.
    So everyone is happily using the 5W charger they received with their iPhone 3GS? Didn’t know that.
    What part of "in a drawer" and unused is difficult for you to understand? Qanon is really killing your brain cells.

He likely understands the reason they're "in a drawer" -- they're just old and obsolete.   Yeh, those old 5W chargers will charge a phone -- eventually -- just like a horse will get you to Chicago -- eventually.
    And if you had a dozen 18W chargers nearly all of them would be in a drawer. You can bitch all you want but the PSU is not coming back as bundled eWaste.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member

...However there seems to be some diminishing returns, the 65W is not much faster than the 20W to fully charge an iPad — about 15 minutes. Compiling charge time data now.

Which iPad? My understanding is the iPad Pro (2018/2020) can fast charge up to 45W even though they ship with 18W chargers. But more importantly is what power profiles your chargers support — it's not just about wattage. For example, the Apple 30W and 61W (updated version) have the 15V profile which will charge the iPad Pro faster than the 87W adapter.

I also learned some of this from Gruber's recent column — 
    Interesting. 2020 iPad Pro 11”. The 65W PD charger from my post is only about 15 mins faster than the 20W Anker charger — 1:48 for a full charge. Not sure about volt profiles. 
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    wood1208 said:

And if you had a dozen 18W chargers nearly all of them would be in a drawer. You can bitch all you want but the PSU is not coming back as bundled eWaste.

But I don't -- and neither do the vast majority of iPhone users.   Actually only a slim margin have even a single one.   And that's the point;  Apple pushed out these out dated, low powered charging bricks for years, then switched to:  "Yeh, I know you just spent $1,500 on a new iPhone, but if you want a matching charger, you'll have to buy it separately".

You are correct though that Apple is unlikely to ever correct their mistake.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    razorpit said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    wood1208 said:

[well designed] chargers will clearly outlast the devices they come with. The problem with Apple is they continued to ship the same, undersized 5W charger that was 12 years old. Then they switch to USB C, which very few people have and don't include a charger. Essentially, Apple continued supplying and inadequate charger that no one needed and then used that as an excuse not to supply one at all.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    Right now, most chargers are small and light enough that any move to smaller, lighter offerings would seem modest to most users.

However, power efficiency should be of real interest to every user so moving to GaN would be nice.

Industry is already using GaN extensively (in 5G base stations for example).

Most gallium is sourced from China and there have been constant rumblings that the trade war could end up affecting supply but nothing has happened yet.

The difference between. 5w and 20w charger is modest, ...

Not if your phone is on "E" and you need it to go somewhere or do something.
    I was referring to size, not power
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Love when Apple innovates the accessory and power space. HATE when Samsung and others release lazy knockoffs designed the same with their names slapped on them.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    Right now, most chargers are small and light enough that any move to smaller, lighter offerings would seem modest to most users.

However, power efficiency should be of real interest to every user so moving to GaN would be nice.

Most gallium is sourced from China and there have been constant rumblings that the trade war could end up affecting supply but nothing has happened yet.

The difference between. 5w and 20w charger is modest, ...

Not if your phone is on "E" and you need it to go somewhere or do something.
    I was referring to size, not power
    Yeh, that's true.    I misunderstood.

• Reply 29 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    avon b7 said:

The driver of that trade war will be gone shortly.   We can return to sanity and mutual progress.
    A little insider baseball for you George, a trade war is still a trade war even if you aren’t able to see it. Paying an entity to be nice to you isn’t friendship. Having an entity dictate how you are going to do business with them isn’t a healthy business relationship. Unfortunately people like you haven’t caught on yet. China owns “your guy”.
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    wood1208 said:

Who? They make chargers? Are they smaller and more powerful than Apple’s?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    Xed said:
    razorpit said:
    wood1208 said:

LOL, no they wouldn’t. One would be in each of my travel bags, one in each of my vehicle’s glove boxes, one in my back pack, one on each level/room of the house. So no matter where I am I have one available. You getting it now?

No one has “one” power adapter. No one uses the small 5W Apple charger because it’s underpowered. Even George understands that.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I was about to say that I was highly skeptical that an M1 16" MBP would have a 100 watt charger, as I imagined that M1 Macs are less thirsty. Not true, the 13" M1 uses the same charger as the 13" Intel. Huh.

Regardless, this would be a welcome change, and it's a little weird that it hasn't happened already.
    Isn't the battery the same size as in the Intel Macs? Why would they shrink the charger to charge the same size battery? It's the M1 that is more power efficient, not the battery tech what I understand?

Battery and Power2
    • Up to 11 hours wireless web
    • Up to 11 hours Apple TV app movie playback
    • Up to 30 days of standby time
    • Built‑in 100‑watt‑hour lithium‑polymer battery2
    • 96W USB‑C Power Adapter
    This is from Apple's website..

• Reply 32 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

I bought a handful of 61W GaN chargers off Amazon for $11 each (I think one was $9 after coupon).  They work great.  Will they last 5 years?  Who knows.  If not, I'll spend another ten bucks to replace it.  
    Given Apple's prices and recent misadventures in power profiles, I'd say this is a wide choice.  Anker and Aukey have proved more than reliable for me, so I feel no need to be an Apple charger simp.  
    I trust Apple more but Anker and Aukey have earned some respect over the last half a decade or so with their PSUs. I wish I could find a detailed technical review of their products for their safety and reliability, but at least I haven't heard any negative news about their products.
    I use Aukey 36w dual USB-C chargers at my desk and bedroom.  Love these chargers! Charges my phone and Ipad pro very fast. I have been using them exclusively for the last 6 months with no issues.  I gave a few of these out as gifts this year as well.  B)

• Reply 33 of 33
    razorpit said:
    avon b7 said:

The driver of that trade war will be gone shortly.   We can return to sanity and mutual progress.
    A little insider baseball for you George, a trade war is still a trade war even if you aren’t able to see it. Paying an entity to be nice to you isn’t friendship. Having an entity dictate how you are going to do business with them isn’t a healthy business relationship. Unfortunately people like you haven’t caught on yet. China owns “your guy”.
    Yeh, that's what I said:   the WannaBe dictator will soon be gone along with all of his lies and fabrications.   And, the U.S. will return to reality, science and REAL facts instead of your alternative kind.

I just listened to him trying to undermine our democracy.   It is shameful and embarrassing how low he has taken this once great nation.   Joe recovered our economy once.  Now we will see if he can not only recover our economy again -- but restore us to democracy while he does it.

Chump needs to be in jail -- if not for tax evasion and a bunch of other things now he is adding sedition to the list of charges.  But then that's probably why he is trying to undermine our democracy:  he knows that for him the White House is the only thing keeping him out of the BigHouse -- and he is scared.  Scared he'll be sharing a cell with Bubba.