Microsoft plans to replace Outlook for Mac with web-based version

Posted:
in General Discussion
Codenamed "Monarch," a future version of Microsoft Outlook is said to be a single cross-platform progressive web app for both Windows and Mac, potentially by 2022.

The mail screen in Outlook for Mac now includes My Day
The recently updated Outlook for Mac

Even as Microsoft recently updated Outlook for Mac, and is now bringing native Apple Silicon M1 support to Office 365, the company is planning to completely replace its mail app. Currently in early testing, Project Monarch sees Outlook becoming a single, progressive web app.

According to WindowsCentral, this cross-platform web app is planned as the culmination of Microsoft's "One Outlook" plan, as described in a September 2020 video presentation.

The intention is replace each of the multiple different versions of Outlook for Windows and Mac, including the separate but related Mail & Calendar app on Windows 10. Microsoft reportedly plans to make a single version of Outlook that will be available cross-platform, and also to all users, whether they are on the free service or the paid business one.

There is already an online version of Outlook that is accessible on Macs, as part of a current Microsoft 365 subscription. However, the new Project Monarch one would integrate better with whichever platform a user runs it from.

So the new Outlook would be better able to store documents on the Mac, and work with Apple's notifications.

Microsoft has not officially commented on Project Monarch. It's expected that the company will begin previewing the new Outlook toward the end of 2021. Replacing Mail & Calendar on Windows is believed to be planned for 2022.

It's not clear whether this forthcoming version of Outlook will also replace the existing iOS app. Also not clear is whether making the new Outlook a progressive web app would affect how users have recently been able to set Outlook as their default email app on iOS 14.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Nice to see they are working on something that won’t be partially neutered on Mac.  You cannot record the movements of the laser pointer while recording voice to your PowerPoint presentation on Mac, but can on the windows version (for several years now)!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Glad I’m not using Outlook, because that would be the end of it. 

Web apps, with very few exceptions, should die a quick, miserable death. The ultimate in lowest common denominator crap; perfectly suited for spying on users.
    neilmJinTechdysamoriaStrangeDaysolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    As someone that uses Office on both platforms - is there any particular reason why Microsoft still can't manage to make these pieces of software on par with one another. I'm not talking about bringing over VBA or the complicated add-on features that the Windows version gets. I'm talking about the most baseline issues like displaying fonts correctly.
    dysamoriaStrangeDaysolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    rcfa said:

Web apps, with very few exceptions, should die a quick, miserable death. The ultimate in lowest common denominator crap; perfectly suited for spying on users.
    Agree. The internal motto at Microsoft "Create less with less."
    stompydysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    docbburk said:
    Nice to see they are working on something that won’t be partially neutered on Mac.  You cannot record the movements of the laser pointer while recording voice to your PowerPoint presentation on Mac, but can on the windows version (for several years now)!
    The situation with Outlook is different. The Mac version is actually better than the Windows version for one big reason - unified inbox. My hope is that Microsoft doesn’t dumb down the universal version of Outlook to make it more like the current Windows version. I don’t have any issues with notifications with Outlook on macOS or iOS. 

I don’t mind Outlook. I use the native app versions that come with Microsoft 365. I had a lot of calendar and meeting invitation sync issues between Apple Mail and the Outlook users that I need to work with. The bottom line is that after using Lotus Notes for several years I can no longer complain about apps like Outlook, Apple Mail, or even Thunderbird. Being dull and boring is better than the daily sh**show that was Lotus Notes.
    asdasdsuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    rcfa said:

Not a fan of web based apps for many reasons but that is the direction things have been moving for a long time. The only way I see that trend reversing would be a profound security issue

As to spying on users, your employer is likely spying on anything you do on their network or hardware. The SW at my hospital monitors everything- to include when you pause the cursor over a link and see a preview.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    docbburk said:
    Nice to see they are working on something that won’t be partially neutered on Mac. 
    Absolutely. 

It’ll be fully neutered everywhere. 
    dysamoriaasdasdolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

davgreg said:
    rcfa said:

Not a fan of web based apps for many reasons but that is the direction things have been moving for a long time. The only way I see that trend reversing would be a profound security issue

As to spying on users, your employer is likely spying on anything you do on their network or hardware. The SW at my hospital monitors everything- to include when you pause the cursor over a link and see a preview.
    Imagine the computer power being wasted by recording everything you’re doing. 

Ridiculous. 
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    As others above rightly said, web versions of anything are typically garbage. Were I an Outlook user on Mac, this would be the end of that usage.

”Modern software” just keeps getting worse and worse, as the companies making it get lazier & greedier.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Big pity there. Outlook for Mac is pretty good as it stands now. Web versions are generally worse, progressive or not. 

In general this kind of thing is for the comapany's benefit not the user. Cheaper JS developers and fewer of them needed. 
    edited January 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    The UI of Outlook on Mac have never been great, but the new UI introduced with the last updates is just plain horrible. It’s fat and it basically looks like the IOS version just on a MacOS.... not great, absolutely not great. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    We use Outlook at my job. There’s a web client — and for whatever reason it refuses to load images for the UI chrome. The web, being a markup language and not designed for applications, just has so many more layers and room for things to go wrong. I say this as one who’s made much of his living as a web dev. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    Microsoft, Google, and Facebook are avoided YouTube is it for me, Microsofts UI and attention to detail has always been bad/second rate. Teams oh boy....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I hope they get nothing but massive backlash for this horrible move..
    watto_cobra