MP3 problem....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey gang.. been lurking for a while.

I have 80 gigs worth of mp3's ripped by my Ibook. yes, it took forever. They all play nicely on mac's, but when i transfer them to my PC (winxp and FreeBSD 4.7release) some files will skip the first few seconds or minutes. is there a fix for this?

btw, the mp3 files were transfered via ethernet.

later today, i will try MD5 check on them, i hope it's just packet loss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how did you rip them?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    using iTunes....

Import as Aiff....did a whole bunch of CD's at once,

then convert to mp3..

is that what you mean?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ye Gods....

Why didn't you just import them as mp3's to begin with?? That was 80 GB of mp3's AFTER converting? (calculates)......daaaaammmm
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what settings for the mp3s did you use in iTunes?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wagneritewagnerite Posts: 174member
    320kbps.... constant bitrate, some are variable bit rate tho. there are no correlation between CBR and VBR files, as far as skipping. some VBR and some CBR skip.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wagneritewagnerite Posts: 174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

Ye Gods....

Why didn't you just import them as mp3's to begin with?? That was 80 GB of mp3's AFTER converting? (calculates)......daaaaammmm

if i did CD to mp3 directly, i woud have to sit there and wait for one CD at a time at 5x. If i do CD - Aiff, it happens at either 12x or 24x depending on which CD drive i'm using. this way, i can do 40 to 50 cd's at a time, and just leave the AIFF to MP3 process on over night, while i slumber besides, 50 CD's is only around 32 gigs or so, and having a 120GB firewire drive is nice. A good way to burn in my iBook, leaving the CPU at 100% several days at a time, dont you think
  • Reply 7 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i would guess it has something to do with the converting process you used, although i'm not sure why.

i've played iTunes ripped mp3's on PC's all the time with no problem. the only variable in this mix i haven't done is the aiff to mp3 conversion.