Cook 'excited' about progress of Apple Silicon transition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Apple CEO Tim Cook says that the company has a "lot more to do," but is excited by how the first Apple Silicon M1 Macs have been received.

Tim Cook
Tim Cook

Speaking during the legally-mandated quarterly earnings call, Cook responded to analyst questions about M1 Macs, the first of Apple's computers to be powered by in-house designed silicon. Stressing repeatedly that he sees this as early days in the transition from Intel to Apple Silicon, he said that Apple is excited about progress so far.

"We're partway through the transition, and we've got a lot more to do," he said. "We're in the early days of a two-year transition, but we're excited about what we see so far."

"If you look at the switcher [from PC to Mac]," he continued, "if you look at the new-to-Mac, and new-to-iPad, those numbers worldwide are about half of the purchases coming from people that are new. So the instal base is still expanding with new customers."

"That's true on both iPad and Mac [but] if you look at the Mac, M1 I think it gives us a new growth trajectory that we haven't had in the past," he continued. "Certainly if Q1 is a good proxy, there's lots of excitement about M1-based Macs."

Mac Graph

Apple launched its first M1-powered Macs late last year with the MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini. Customer feedback has been largely positive, with many touting the new computers' speed and efficiency as compared to both past Macs and Windows boxes.

The company is rumored to release a pair of redesigned, high-end MacBook Pro models with M1 chips in the third quarter, while iMac and Mac Pro could benefit from Apple Silicon later this year.
applesnorangesmattinozmac daddy zeepatchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    As a new owner of an M1 MacBook Air I can confirm the M1 is worthy of the hype it's receiving.  Compatibility has been far more transparent and widespread than I had anticipated; it's really a sweet machine and Apple hit it out of the park with application compatibility.  

And for the few apps, mainly games, where I see issues - new work arounds and solutions are popping up as more people have time to experiment or developers have time to update their code.  
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I bought the M1 Mac mini and I agree with hype. 

Only problem so far is the Apple wireless trackpad that works as should with my 2012 mini not allowing me to grab bar and move windows or icons around. 

Don't know if it is M1, Big Sur bug or combo so awaiting  11.2 update to see if it's fixed with that. 🤞🏻🤞🏻  

Meanwhile plug in mouse works. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I bought the M1 Mac mini and I agree with hype. 

Only problem so far is the Apple wireless trackpad that works as should with my 2012 mini not allowing me to grab bar and move windows or icons around. 

Don't know if it is M1, Big Sur bug or combo so awaiting  11.2 update to see if it's fixed with that. 🤞🏻🤞🏻  

Meanwhile plug in mouse works. 
    Apple trackpad works fine here, with M1 Mac mini - check System Preferences to make sure you turned on/set the same preferences you did on the 2012 mini.  If you've upgraded the mini over the years (instead of clean installs), some of the defaults have changed & some settings are under Accessibility in last few years of macOS - you may not be aware of these, and think they are default from your 2021 mini experience..
    watto_cobra