Higher resolution eufy Floodlight Cam spotted in FCC listings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
An unannounced eufy Floodlight Cam E 2K has appeared on the FCC's regulatory database, with few details beyond the suggested higher resolution.

EufyCam 2
EufyCam 2

Alongside its existing range of HomeKit Secure Video cameras, eufy appears to preparing to launch an update to its exterior Floodlight Cam.

According to Smarthome Assistant, a listing for a eufy Floodlight Cam E 2K has appeared in the FCC's database of tested and approved devices. The only specifications are the physical dimensions of the camera, as shown on a marked-up sketch.

However the 2K name implies that the new camera will increase the resolution of its predecessor, which was 1080p. There is no indication of whether this camera will add HomeKit or HomeKit Secure Video support at present. The Anker-owned company has been adding the technology to other models, however.

Detail from the FCC listing spotted by Germany's Smarthome Assistant
Detail from the FCC listing spotted by Germany's Smarthome Assistant

An entry in any country's regulatory databases does not automatically mean that a release is imminent. However, it would be unusual for a company to put a device through official testing if it weren't expecting to launch shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    1080p is 2K.... awkward

1920x1080 = 2K or 1080p
    3840x2160 = 4K or 2160p
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wattouk said:
    1080p is 2K.... awkward

1920x1080 = 2K or 1080p
    3840x2160 = 4K or 2160p
    I used to be under this impression too, however 2K is actually 7% larger at 2048x1080. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution. I'm not sure why many of these security cameras use true 2K. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This better not be some typical marketing lingo to imply that 2K is someone more "superior" than 1080p as it's essentially the same resolution.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    My understanding is that Apple's HomeKit secure video is limited to 1080P - no matter the resolution of the camera.  I've seen this mentioned in a couple of reviews - one for the Logitech Circle, if I recall correctly.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nicholfd said:
    My understanding is that Apple's HomeKit secure video is limited to 1080P - no matter the resolution of the camera.  I've seen this mentioned in a couple of reviews - one for the Logitech Circle, if I recall correctly.
    Correct; the higher resolution eufy cameras reduce their resolution if connected to HomeKit, and also lose the time stamp. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    yoyo2222 said:
    wattouk said:
    1080p is 2K.... awkward

1920x1080 = 2K or 1080p
    3840x2160 = 4K or 2160p
    I used to be under this impression too, however 2K is actually 7% larger at 2048x1080. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution. I'm not sure why many of these security cameras use true 2K. 
    That's DCI standards for cinema. And if you read one sentence further, "In television and consumer media, 1920 × 1080 is the most common 2K resolution".