iBook + Apple 17" CRT = What?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an iBook 700 and wants to buy a old Apple 17" CRT, just because it is so marvelous!

Does it have that strange connection?

Does it connect directly?

Can it have higher resolution than the iBooks 1024?

Thanks.

Roger

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    If I can recall, the most recent Apple CRTs and just before that (the monitors that debuted with the Blue/White G3 and those that debuted with the various G4 towers -- with the visible tube) did indeed have standard VGA connectors, which should work fine with the iBook's adapter. Earlier than that, though - with the beige monitors (1710/1710AV, 1705, etc.) - I believe Apple was still using their proprietary connection (I know the monitor hooked up to our G3 desktop is still the old style -- I didn't know the G3s had that old Apple display connection!).

All you'll get is video mirroring with the iBook unless you hack it, though. But from what you say, that should be adequate.

Oh, and yes it will be capable of higher res than the iBook's native setting. But I wouldn't use a 17" CRT above 10X7 (nearsighted individual speaking).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zadak

I have an iBook 700 and wants to buy a old Apple 17" CRT, just because it is so marvelous!

Does it have that strange connection?

Does it connect directly?

Can it have higher resolution than the iBooks 1024?

Thanks.

Roger

If it's the 17" CRT w/ the visible tube, it has the ADC connection and will not work (i'm using one right now)...

If it has the 3 legged stand, it's a VGA connector and works w/ iBook...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

If it's the 17" CRT w/ the visible tube, it has the ADC connection

That's right. However, I seem to remember that even though the "visible tube" display has an ADC connector, it uses an analog signal. Is that true? If so, is there any way (other than a $300 adapter) to combine VGA, USB and power into that "analog ADC connection"?

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 4
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

That's right. However, I seem to remember that even though the "visible tube" display has an ADC connector, it uses an analog signal. Is that true? If so, is there any way (other than a $300 adapter) to combine VGA, USB and power into that "analog ADC connection"?

Escher

i guess it's analog, but there is no other way...just the ADC out...btw, the $300(at least) adapter does not support this monitor...you need a Cube/Power Mac w/ ADC...