Webp to animated GIF local converter

Posted:
in General Discussion
Hi,
I've been trying to find a way to convert Webp to animated GIF.  I've tried just about every Googled suggestion with no luck.  NCH Software ads implied that their Pixillion would convert Webp to Gif. It did convert gifs to single cells with Gif extensions but doesn't animate them. I paid $25 to find out their ads were misleading.

Does anyone know of a local converter that will actually animate a webp to gif? I don't mean online converters. I've tried them and found them less than practical for me.

I understand the reason behind webp: however, what good is it if files don't animate and trying to find a converter that does is an experience in futility? 

Thanks in advance,
Sequitur

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sequitur said:
    I understand the reason behind webp: however, what good is it if files don't animate and trying to find a converter that does is an experience in futility? 
    Do you need a viewer that plays animated webp? That would be easier than having to convert every file. Chrome plays them ok and there's an image browser that supports them here:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/xee-image-viewer-and-browser/id639764244?mt=12

That has an export feature but only exports single images. For just viewing the files that would be ok. Converting webp to gif will be losing some quality as gif is just 256 colors.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Marvin,

Xee doesn't open on my computer. I've downloaded it 6 times. No luck.  It may not be compatible with Big Sur. I've looked online and found that it doesn't open for others.
    Thanks anyway. You've solved many of my past problems.
    Sequitur
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sequitur said:
    Marvin,

Xee doesn't open on my computer. I've downloaded it 6 times. No luck.  It may not be compatible with Big Sur. I've looked online and found that it doesn't open for others.
    Thanks anyway. You've solved many of my past problems.
    Sequitur
    The following viewer plays animated webp too, that might be compatible with Big Sur:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/phiewer-lite-image-viewer/id1226444549?mt=12
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Hi Marvin,
    Phiewer got very bad reviews and the only positive review said it made thumbnails (not animation).

You don't need an app to make thumbnails.  Just replace .webp with .heic; then open the file in Preview - go to View and click Thumbnails. You get the file picture and thumbnails down the left side.  But still, no way to animate them.

The App Store has converters but none of them I've checked or bought will animate the thumbnails.  Googling "convert .heic to .gif locally" comes up with a lot of wannabes but none that I've tried has worked. Convert them online is time-consuming and possibly dangerous if the site can gleam info from the updated file(s). "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." Who knows?