"The Hours" hypocrites...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I got to thinking the other day, never a good thing, but...

A while back it became popular to revolt against "American Beauty" because of the message, and many of those same people are now falling all over themselves for "The Hours" when they are basically the same film. Selfish people acting selfishly and glorifying it. Not that I believe that that's really the case of either film, but the people who made that argument, you know who you are, should be prepared to bring that same argument now, in the case of The Hours.

It becomes obvious then, that a certain branch of the critical audience is interested only in castrating males and that for them art can't be thoughtful unless the men are shooting blanks.

Over to you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'd like to comment that I think selfishness is a good thing. Some people take selfishness to a whole other level though. Thank you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

I'd like to comment that I think selfishness is a good thing. Some people take selfishness to a whole other level though. Thank you.

There is a published collection of essays titled "The virtue of selfishness," mostly penned by the likes of Ayn Rand, Alan Greenspan, and various other Rand groupies. (They called themselves "The collective" ) Anyway, to hear a Neo-Liberal like yourself glorify selfishness seems a bit out of character. . . of course, I may have read you wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    if you call it "self-interest" as in "my survival first", it could probably be clearly drawn as a necessary evolutionary behaviour

animals that didn't compete to win probably didn't do well in the early darwinian sweepstakes... generousity requires both surplus and some perceived return on investment (food and gifts = how to win friends and influence other proto-humans)

that said, gordon gekko's "greed is good" philosophy from both the 80's and a certain mindset, is taken waay too far by some