Iraqi blog - definitely worth the read

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't read blog's usually, but since this person is actually in Iraq and is very opinionated and connected I think it's worth the time to read it.

link

What a horrible time for them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    i recall reading a few blogs from former yugoslavia in the mid-nineties (although then they weren't called blogs yet, and it wasn't called yugoslavia)

apparently, the chat rooms could plot the overflight of aircraft as users on various hills posted when they heard noise overhead. eventually they posted maps, then pictures

it was macabre reading at times

got spammed for months afterwards though. more likely a buggy listserv than infowar, but that's another thread
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    There is a lot of speculation at Boing Boing and other places that this blog is not authentic. Just a word to the wary.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Note: it does appear to be published from Iraq, re: Paul Boutin. But who is the publisher?

Hmmm.

Nice writing, either way.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Even if it isn't "authentic" it's a very unique perspective.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    This person asked the same question and concluded that Salam Pax is real.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    "Sure, there are people in Iraq who hate Saddam for killing their families. but there are far, FAR more people who worship him with blind devotion..."

Hmmmmmmm. Like Stalin?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Yes, it's a unique perspective that anyone in the US government with half a brain could have fabricated.

Yeah, because it's so friendly to the US government...

Did you even READ IT?

"It wasn't 100% keeping with the party anti-war line, it must be fake!"

Quote:

Sure, there are people in Iraq who hate Saddam for killing their families. but there are far, FAR more people who worship him with blind devotion and who will not feel liberated by the US in the least until they start to feel the difference.

This based on what?

Could this assertion by you be racist?

Quote:

Feelings like this do not justify a non-internationally supported war (and don't start with the "yeah, but 35 countries yada yada yada" bullshit).

"Don't come at me with the truth, I'll just ignore it."
  • Reply 8 of 18
    "It very well could have been written by an Iraqi from within Iraq (though how Iraq could allow unmonitored internet acccess and not have tracked down the source I have no idea)."

Google the blog's title and read the above posted link.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    It absolutely HAS to be fake because EVERYONE IN THE WORLD is against the war entirely and all they do all day is bash George Bush and they don't even say a single thing that might be construed as pro-war!

Quote:

The TRUTH is that 35 or 45 or whatever governments pledged support for the action of the US, after the process had been far past the point of reversal.

And many of them signed on *before* Bush gave up on the UN process. Remember the 18 European nations voicing support who were reprimanded by Chirac? Of course you don't.

Quote:

This doesn't even say that the Governments agree with the action in principle. Just that they claim to support the US because it would serve their interests better to agree. This you might not agree with.

Well naturally no one agrees with the US, they probably are only doing so because Bush threatened to bomb them as well. I mean, it really is quite unthinkable that these nations actually support the action. Not even logical.

Quote:

But how can you possibly begin to assert that the poeple of these countries agree with the actions of the US? It is you who are in denial. Not I.

Many do, many don't. Either way it doesn't really matter. I never made the claim, nice straw-man.

Quote:

The blog is clearly far more anti-Saddam than anything else.

Yeah, that's completely unreasonable coming from someone in Iraq.

Quote:

Its bias is hidden in the anti-war veil.

I think it's a little more direct than that. Not everyone in the world is a Democrat party tool.

Quote:

It very well could have been written by an Iraqi from within Iraq (though how Iraq could allow unmonitored internet acccess and not have tracked down the source I have no idea).

From all accounts it *was*. The burden is on you to prove otherwise.

Quote:

But do you think it was written by a typical Iraqi? Do typical Iraqis have internet access? Do typical Iraqis speak English better than George W. Bush (well, maybe that's a bad example)? Do typical Iraqis even have jobs?

That's the most racist thing I've read today. Nice work.

Quote:

Typical Iraqis are the ones we see amassed on the streets chanting "Saddam! Saddam! Saddam!". And if you don't believe this then you're more ignorant than I could have thought.

The big demonstration in Baghdad had ~15,000 people. The population of Baghdad is 6 million.

I find it hilarious that you are trying to assert that the people of Iraq, by and large, actually like Saddam Hussein. What insanity. What racist insanity.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Thank you, groverat.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Sure, there are people in Iraq who hate Saddam for killing their families. but there are far, FAR more people who worship him with blind devotion and who will not feel liberated by the US in the least until they start to feel the difference.

just wondeirng, as a few others posted, where exactly you get this knowledge.

i have a guess where it's being pulled from, but if you have a source you can link to that would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Just I read some of it, and this paragraph really bothers me.

"No one inside Iraq is for war (note I said war not a change of regime), no human being in his right mind will ask you to give him the beating of his life, unless you are a member of fight club that is, and if you do hear Iraqi (in Iraq, not expat) saying ?come on bomb us? it is the exasperation and 10 years of sanctions and hardship talking. There is no person inside Iraq (and this is a bold, blinking and underlined inside) who will be jumping up and down asking for the bombs to drop. We are not suicidal you know, not all of us in any case."

As far as I can tell, Iraqis very much do want this war and are resigned to accept sacrifices to remove Saddam. I saw the footage of the hospital(s), and what struck me was how quiet the relatives of the injured were. It's as if they were saying: it?s OK, but get the right target next time. None of the theatrics one normally sees in such circumstances.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So let's just get rid of Saddam as soon and quickly as possible (too bad those first missiles missed), start reconstructing, give the government back to the people (I fully support an anti-violence religious leadership as opposed to a military one), give full control of the oil back to that government, and get the hell out of there.

Better get rid of George Bush before everyone realizes he's Hitler II, before the World War III is everywhere, before he wreaks havoc with the whole world. Don't let your credit card speak for you. Better think about kids to be killed with MOABs. Think about how you will explain their deaths to your own kids. Is it actually democracy vs tyranny or oilmongers vs oil for 2 bucks per barrel? Is it all about freedom from tyranny or freedom from aggressors/invaders? Is it a question of life and death for innocents or for armed-to-the-teeth soldiers?

Is there still God to see his creatures in action?

Don't like Saddam? Don't vote for him!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mika_mk1984

As far as I can tell, Iraqis very much do want this war and are resigned to accept sacrifices to remove Saddam. I saw the footage of the hospital(s), and what struck me was how quiet the relatives of the injured were. It's as if they were saying: it?s OK, but get the right target next time. None of the theatrics one normally sees in such circumstances.

You don't understand anything. They are indeed resigned because they believe if there is Allah's will, then be it. They are all prepared to die sooner or later and though nobody wants to, they accept it as granted. It has more to do with the war than with 'removing Saddam'. And if anybody has the right to even dream about 'removing Saddam', it's definitely Iraqis, not Americans. Shame.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    update:

The Iraqi Satellite Channel is not broadcasting anymore. The second youth TV channel (it shows Egyptian soaps in the morning and sports afterwards) also stopped transmitting. This leaves two channels: Iraq TV and Shabab (youth) TV. They are still full of patriotic songs and useless ?news?, they love the French here.