Panther demo due at WWDC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
MacCentral:

"Apple Computer Inc. on Friday announced the first showing of the next version of Mac OS X, codenamed Panther. Attendees of the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) will be among the first to see Panther in action when the conference opens.

Originally scheduled for May 19-23, 2003 in San Jose, the conference has been moved to the Moscone Center in San Francisco from June 23-27, in order to provide developers with a more complete preview release.

"Our annual Worldwide Developers Conference provides our developers an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform, and giving everyone a preview release of Panther is the best way to do that," said Ron Okamoto, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. "Moving to June ensures that every developer will leave the event with a copy of Panther in their hands."

The Early Bird registration discount scheduled to end on April 18, 2003 has been extended to May 23, 2003.

The debut of Panther will come just over a year since the current Mac OS X release, Jaguar, made its introduction at the same event. Demoed by Apple CEO Steve Jobs during his keynote address, Apple lauded Jaguar features like iChat, Rendezvous and Inkwell to attendees.

While Apple didn't give an official date for the release of Panther, it was just about four months from the date Jaguar made its debut at WWDC until the time it was released. Jaguar sold 100,000 copies during its first weekend, setting a new record for Mac OS sales for a single weekend.

Conference tracks for WWDC 2003 include Enterprise IT; Apple Developer Tools; Application Frameworks; Core OS; Hardware; and Graphics and Imaging. This year will also see QuickTime Live, normally held as a separate show in Beverly Hills, CA, become part of WWDC.
"

Nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    As Elmer Fudd would say, vewy intewesting....

So much for a fall release date, eh? Well, it sounds like there's a lot of work being done on it, I just wish they would throw some more teasers our way.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

So much for a fall release date, eh? Well, it sounds like there's a lot of work being done on it, I just wish they would throw some more teasers our way.

Well, just because Jaguar didnt make it until 4 months after, who says Panther wont?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

While a part of me really wants Panther to be released sooner-than-later, another part of me is saying that Apple should work their butts off making the original 10.3 as solid as possible...and if that means releasing it in the Fall then so be it. Unless, of course, the 970's are released earlier...then the 10.3 should be released at the same time.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

While a part of me really wants Panther to be released sooner-than-later, another part of me is saying that Apple should work their butts off making the original 10.3 as solid as possible...and if that means releasing it in the Fall then so be it. Unless, of course, the 970's are released earlier...then the 10.3 should be released at the same time.

The thing is that Jaguar is good enough to live with it 4 months more. Strange to admit, I am no longer worried about OS. The hardware side seems more interesting. If I am right to guess what's going on inside Apple, they will adjust the release of 10.3 according to how well it's going and they will jump out of their skins to start selling PowerMacs as soon as possible, probably, even months before 10.3 is ready. If Marketing Gods priests don't order them to pass 10.2.6 for 10.3.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This is just speculation, but to move WWDC, there has to be a radical new feature set, not just 64bit. Maybe a whole new file browsing approach? 3D finder? Interesting indeed.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

This is just speculation, but to move WWDC, there has to be a radical new feature set, not just 64bit. Maybe a whole new file browsing approach? 3D finder? Interesting indeed.

I find it weird too, and maybe you are right.. Didnt think of it until now!

Unless, we get 64 support and 64 bit Powermacs to go with it at the same time, and therefore they need all the time they can get!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    As Programmer said elsewhere, they'll have to have a really, really good reason to move WWDC. They never have. It's $1300 to get in, and it's attended by professionals who are carving time out of busy schedules and (these days) slim budgets to fly out for some hardcore conferencing.

This is going to be big. It's going to be big in ways that are important to developers, specifically (but of course, not exclusively). I won't be able to go myself, so I'll just have to be content with sitting outside and scrounging for tidbits of information. Ah well.

From a software point of view, the 970 is only part of the equation. This will likely be the Mac's first major architecture change since the move to PCI. That, and the rapid evolution of the software platform (especially given rumors about QT 7, and the interesting bit that Rendezvous doesn't implement all of ZeroConf's features yet) hint at the announcement of a strategy that Apple has been (publicly) assembling for a good two years now, via acquisitions and its own releases.

Whee!
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Woohoo... fun stuff indeed. Lol, I was going to try and apply for a student WWDC Scholarship, but things got sidetracked when I got accepted for an internship... lol oh well. Sounds like some exciting stuff should develop there... I don't know the Cali area, but the Moscone is the big place that they usually hold MWSF at, right? Seems like some huge stuff should be in store for the developers!
  • Reply 9 of 36
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Where's Moki? He'd be our boy at this event for sure!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Moki wont be here until we know every possible thing there is!

Taken from MacNN front page:

Quote:

"Our annual Worldwide Developers Conference provides our developers an in-depth look at the future of the Mac platform, and giving everyone a preview release of Panther is the best way to do that," said Ron Okamoto, Apple's VP of Worldwide Developer Relations. "Moving to June ensures that every developer will leave the event with a copy of Panther in their hands." The Early Bird registration discount scheduled to end on April 18th has been extended to May 23, 2003.

Well....?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well it'll be a preview release, of course, but...

WHOO-HOO!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    First of all, maybe Apple is doing this so they have an excuse not to go to MacWorld

Also, I am watiing to see the sleek black-fur'ed X
  • Reply 13 of 36
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Would anybody like to speculate whether we'll see an after-the-fact streaming "sneak peek" presentation of Panther much like the one for Jaguar last year?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If they do preview it in the keynote, then I bet the public will get a very general glimpse at Panther, but nothing too juicy, not in the open. All the really fun stuff will be in NDA'd seminars.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Sad thing is that I won a student scholarship to WWDC a few years ago, but didn't have the means to get there, so I was unable to use it.

I'd like to go to this one, but again I'm not sure I could make it, so I'm not going to apply for a scholarship.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

If they do preview it in the keynote, then I bet the public will get a very general glimpse at Panther, but nothing too juicy, not in the open. All the really fun stuff will be in NDA'd seminars.

And on Thinksecret about half an hour later.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    If Apple wants to make WWDC the must attend event of the summer (in replacement to attending MacWorld New York) they will stream the event via QuickTime but I doubt that will happen

I understand and I am fully aware this is not a trade show, not for the consumers or even for the die hard Mac-o-phile...just going back to what some of you have said about this WWDC...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I would love for this to be streamed, even if they don't put any ads for the stream on their site really. If they're doing a preview there I would love to watch it.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Is there anyone out there who thinks that apple is making new operating systems too fast. If they keep this rate up people will get worn out from buying the new ones.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

Is there anyone out there who thinks that apple is making new operating systems too fast. If they keep this rate up people will get worn out from buying the new ones.

no, good bai