iBook for Christmas or wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am going to get an iBook for my kid for Christmas and was wondering if now is a bad time to buy? Do you think the iBook will be updated at MWSF? I would guess that they don't update it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Well, I'd get the kid a little card saying "Good for one Apple iBook after Jan 7, 2002" or something like that.

Think how bad they'd feel if you bought the last of the old model line as it was updated somehow. 2 weeks is a short enough time to be worth the wait.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    iBook won't be updated at MWSF.

the 100 dollars off is just to spur holiday sales
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I believe the iBook is the least likely of the four product lines to be updated in January. It's currently the best "bang for the buck" of all the Macs, and so Apple is more likely to address the other three first.

Also I can't remember a single Macworld where Apple updated ALL their products. Has that ever happened?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>I believe the iBook is the least likely of the four product lines to be updated in January. It's currently the best "bang for the buck" of all the Macs, and so Apple is more likely to address the other three first.

Also I can't remember a single Macworld where Apple updated ALL their products. Has that ever happened?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point. Apple usually waits until they can't sell any more before they update a product **cough** PowerMac G4 **cough** **cough** iMac **cough** Also, probably the first ever macworld they updated all their products.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    What are the odds that whenever Apple does revise the iBook (whether it be MWSF, MW Tokyo, MWNY - I sure hope they don't wait that long) that it'll have Mobility Radeon graphics?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    No.

Besides, the iBook was just updated two months ago. I'd absolutely be floored if they did it three months later.

I think MWSF will be a big desktop/OS X oriented show.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Also I can't remember a single Macworld where Apple updated ALL their products. Has that ever happened?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You never know-- could happen. Have you read this <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000212"; target="_blank">thread</a>?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I agree...

No laptop updates for MWSF cept maybe a combo-drive for the TI - I've got quite a few people at the office that want the TI but will wait till Apple has a combo drive available.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Unless you wanna wait until March after MWTK get the iBook now.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    March? Make that April. Macworld TK is on the 23rd of March if I recall, and you can bet that unless you live within driving distance of an Apple store you're not going to see that new hardware for at least another week and a half.

That puts your estimated arrival time at well over 100 days and just shy of a third of a year. So the question you need to ask yourself is, "Can I stand to use my current computer for another third of a year?"
  • Reply 11 of 20
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Looks like MWT will see slot loading Ibooks and speed bumps across the board.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Thanks guys, I think I will get my iBook for $150 off because of the education disscount. My kid will be overjoyed with the iBook DVD 600. hehehehe and it costs me only $1,349!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by JW Pepper:

<strong>Looks like MWT will see slot loading Ibooks and speed bumps across the board.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What makes you think there'll be a slot-loading drives on the iBook?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Bought the 600Mhz DVD iBook three weeks ago....

Still loving it
  • Reply 15 of 20
    My wife's been begging her parents for an iBook. Looks like she's getting it soon Now she can stay the **** off MY computer
  • Reply 16 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

What makes you think there'll be a slot-loading drives on the iBook?</strong><hr></blockquote>

now, theres evidently slot loading combo drives available that are thin enough, and burners, and dvd-drives...

plus, a slot loader is a much better choice in an education environment: no componentry exposed to little fingers.

Plus, steve likes "elegance" and a slot loading drive is one hell of a lot more elegant than a tray that pops out and is all nasty and black and has exposed lenses and the like.

It's a question of finding a thin enough slot loading combo drive... evidently, if the PBG4 indeed gets it as it is rumored to, then it will go into iMac next.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

plus, a slot loader is a much better choice in an education environment: no componentry exposed to little fingers.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think in some educational situations it isn't a good idea for a slot loader. If it's with younger kids or kids who like screwing things up they can just stick things in the drive and ruin it. That's pretty much the only reason why I don't like slot loaders on the iMacs.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Cuz you can't screw up a tray-loader easier?

Look at your ibook drive. See that exposed laser? Yeah, that's basically where all the money for the drive went.

That's much more easily scratched/smudged/etc than a totally enclosed slot-loader is. Plus, if they're really worried about it, they could ship a little rubber pluggy thing to fill a slot.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Qulaify kid here. If this kid is working (intensely) with photoshop, video, or some other type of 3d programs, then wait. But if this kid is only typing papers, surfing the web, watching dvds and listening to music, then buy now 'cause there is nothing better than seeing that gift at christmas and those activites will be no stretch for the iBook to perform at all.. My folks pulled this shit for years, you know a card with "you get XXXXX later" and 1. I never did get it and 2. It's not fun getting a card for christmas
  • Reply 20 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I think in some educational situations it isn't a good idea for a slot loader. If it's with younger kids or kids who like screwing things up they can just stick things in the drive and ruin it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why you keep a belt or a mallet nearby, just in case. Throw a beating on the little tinkerer and after a couple of those, chances are he won't be sticking his Pop Tart in there anymore, or seeing how far he can stick a pencil in one.

Kids these days are smart and they learn quick.