To AppleCare or not to AppleCare

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have until tomorrow morning at 11am to purchase AppleCare for my Powerbook G4. It's a Rev B 667 VGA with Combo Drive. I haven't had any problems with it during the entire year I have had it. I don't beat it up and I don't anticipate any problems considering the care it goes through everytime it is used. I need suggestions...should I lay down the $300 for something I might never use? And if I do, will I have to put up with all the crap that poor Fran did (even though a new Powerbook was the reward)? Anyone with similar Rev B Powerbooks have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I would say whole heartidly to get the Applecare. My iMac just went to the shithole, and I called up Apple, and they are sending a guy to my house to do onsite maintenance on it. I hope that I have not lost everything, but it is not looking so good. I have already exhausted all possible fixes that is why I have not posted in Genius Bar. However, just from my experience today, I can honestly say that Applecare saved my ass. Seriously, for the money, you just can't beat it. Why risk it?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Wow -- those were still being sold only a year ago...seems like it's been much, much longer (goes to show the honestly consistent fast pace Apple has kept with its portable line over just the past two years; it's gotten confusing!)

If you've got the money then do it. I plan to do it with my Ti 867 before next November.

and just to remind in a slightly deterministic fashion...Murphy's Law will almost always prove true...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I think all portables should have AppleCare on them, i do, do it, do it to it....sir....
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Agreed--AppleCare for all portables.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Well, you guys have been helpful so far. Two things though: 1) It's not exactly something I can afford, being in college and all 2) I have two professors looking to buy my Powerbook and I don't think they care about whether or not it is covered under warranty or not.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    OH.

Well, then don't.

• Reply 7 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Well, you guys have been helpful so far. Two things though: 1) It's not exactly something I can afford, being in college and all 2) I have two professors looking to buy my Powerbook and I don't think they care about whether or not it is covered under warranty or not.

So sell it to one of your professors then, and let them know it'll have no warranty. If they don't mind, then good deal.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Sounds like a plan. That's what I was thinking. I figure, if I keep treating it the way I have been, what could go wrong. And if the guy I sell it to treats it like crap...it's his problem right?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Well, this and the the whole Fellowship thing have convinced me to pick up AppleCare for my iBook. I don't plan on keeping it for three years, but having AppleCare will make it easier for me to sell it on eBay
  • Reply 10 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Be safe, not sorry.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Be safe, not sorry.

filmmaker2002: That's what I would say too. It cost me $300 to repair my iBook (May 2001) when the backlight failed a few months out of warranty. AppleCare would only have cost me $250, and would have covered me until May 2004! Because the innards are more tightly packed in a laptop, you're more likely to run into trouble.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda... gotten AppleCare. I'll never buy another laptop of any brand without an extended warranty.

Only exception to that, as others have mentioned above, is if you're going to sell your PowerBook right away. But even under that scenario, you still can't go wrong with AppleCare. Imagine if your PowerBook breaks before you've been able to sell it to your Prof. He won't buy a broken laptop, and you'll be stuck paying for an expensive repair. Or imagine if the PowerBook breaks shortly after you've sold it to your Prof. Do you really want a prof pissed at you for selling him a lemon?

Escher