Reality TV AFTER War. Different? Less of it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was thinking earlier: There's still a lot of people that were really big into reality TV before this war began. Do you think it's possible that because we are currently watching the ultimate, most "raw" Reality Television that mankind could probably ever create, that after the 24-hour news coverage the networks will re-evaluate their approaches to RTV?

I think they should. Before the war, I thought Joe Millionaire and some of the other recent shows were interesting and somewhat enjoyable to watch, but now, I'm getting some perspective. All that stuff is really pretty pathetic and degrading to humanity when I think of all the "Reality" in Iraq that I'm seeing from ABC, Fox News, CNN, and the others.

Over the next few weeks and months, I'll certainly be rethinking what I will ultimately do when "Reality TV" returns. Maybe the networks will, too. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I was thinking earlier: There's still a lot of people that were really big into reality TV before this war began. Do you think it's possible that because we are currently watching the ultimate, most "raw" Reality Television that mankind could probably ever create, that after the 24-hour news coverage the networks will re-evaluate their approaches to RTV?

I think they should. Before the war, I thought Joe Millionaire and some of the other recent shows were interesting and somewhat enjoyable to watch, but now, I'm getting some perspective. All that stuff is really pretty pathetic and degrading to humanity when I think of all the "Reality" in Iraq that I'm seeing from ABC, Fox News, CNN, and the others.

Over the next few weeks and months, I'll certainly be rethinking what I will ultimately do when "Reality TV" returns. Maybe the networks will, too. \

Reality TV is just a fad and it will eventually fade away. The War may have a factor, but we are at the peak of it right now and it will just take time before the rollercoaster starts on its descent.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chweave1chweave1 Posts: 164member
    I do not think people tune into reality TV because they believe that it is somehow close to real life (or at least closer than normal programs). People watch reality TV because it contains a lot of sex, violence, dirty, basic human emotions, and beautiful people by which we are entertained and intrigued. If these shows were 100% scripted (as opposed to the 95% that they are at now), people would still tune in because thats not the reason why they are watching.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I HATE reality TV. Maybe the networks will get a clue after the REAL reality of this war and cancel many of the shows they have planned for the summer. Married By America!? Come on, you have GOT to be kidding. This is indeed total crap.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I HATE reality TV. Its sucks and has always sucked frankly.

Dont want to start a flame war but to be honest the footage of the war and the productions CNN/NBC etc are putting on make it seem all too much like it is made for entertainment(sp?) purposes. -- Sad really!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    The quality of reality TV shows sucks. That is not to say that the format lacks potential. Generally, people are attracted to more prurient things. Reality TV is often aimed at this lowest common denominator. Are You Hot? should be replaced by Give Me A Break!

Imagine the possibilities of reality TV aimed a more educated audience...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I looked for, but failed to find an option "this is the most stupid, redundant and irrelevant poll in the relatively short history of polls at AppleInsider." in your poll. Just thought I'd let you know.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

The quality of reality TV shows sucks. That is not to say that the format lacks potential. Generally, people are attracted to more prurient things. Reality TV is often aimed at this lowest common denominator. Are You Hot? should be replaced by Give Me A Break!

Imagine the possibilities of reality TV aimed a more educated audience...

While I can't say I have seen "Are You Hot?" I did watch a lot of "Gimme a Break" when it was on with Nell Carter.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well I am not going to argue about the validity of the entire genre of reality programming. I do however watch and enjoy Survivor every time it comes on. In fact it is literally the only hour of television I watch each week.

How broad is the definition of reality? I mean some of these shows are silly, but I would consider shows like "Trading Spaces" and the like to be reality tv as well and when I periodically flip around and find those shows I enjoy them.

With regard to storylines much of television is just tapped out. Just about everything you can say in 24-48 minutes has been said. Most of the shows grow tired quickly, and resort to the same tired tactics to try to bring in more viewership.

In my opinion television and even movies need to move on to longer, more complex formats. Gettysburg was a fantastic movie I enjoyed and it was like 8 hours long as I recall. If you want more intelligent movies or television they are simply going to have to go to a longer format. Otherwise most relationships are going to consist of a 1 minute dating/courtship montage that either ends with a wedding scene or with them in bed, etc.

Another things that I really like about Survivor, it ends. It runs for the length of that show and it just ends, goes away and might come back another day. I mean look at shows like Friends. How long are we supposed to believe that these pathetic losers drink coffee, hang out and lastly still can't sort their love lives out? (In all honestly they might all be married by now, I don't watch the show)

My wife loves CSI and I watch it with her periodically. It is pretty good in spurts. However the second any of those characters has to start sleeping with another character as a story motivation, that show should be done.

Disney has done a pretty good job sorting out the sequal mania and that is that they release their sequals direct to video. This might allow more indepth and detailed story telling that the fans themselves will be able to purchase and finance without all the expensive marketing and ads that are required for a major release. It might allow stories to go past, and they all lived happily ever after especially for the true fans of certain actors/stories/authors.

Anyway reality tv is going to stick around for exactly two reasons.

1) Narcissim, we Americans especially probably have more of it than anyone on the planet. (Though a lot of the show ideas seem to come from England so maybe that is just my own narcissism)

2) It is cheap. One hour dramas, especially if they get successful become tremendously expensive. The whole ensemble cast wants insane amounts of money relatively quickly. Even comedys suffer from this because again look at how much an episode of Friends probably costs. I woud bet that the entire series of Survivor probably costs 10 milliion to make a season. That is cheap by TV standards so reality provides and excellent return on the dollar.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I looked for, but failed to find an option "this is the most stupid, redundant and irrelevant poll in the relatively short history of polls at AppleInsider." in your poll. Just thought I'd let you know.

I am speechless. Was it your intention to be as blatantly mean and rude as possible? If you don't like the thread, click on to another one! I think it's an interesting topic, and wanted to see what others had to say. Sheesh!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    RLTV is a Complete Waste of time
  • Reply 11 of 13
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

[IMG][/IMG]
  • Reply 12 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Mac

Alpha Mac, though I can see where your post is coming from, I don't think, modest as I am, that it's a question of me being stupid. Instead, it is a question of me being a complete asshole, immersed in acid bile, which, at too many times, I am very much.

Therefore, let me offer to you, CosmoNut, sincere apologies for using this uncalled-for nastiness. I have no personal issues with you, far from that.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I never really noticed that I have never watched Reality TV until today. I can't remember having seen even a single episode of any of these shows....

(unless Iron Chef counts)