changing osX user info

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
got a 2nd hand imac today, just wonder if it is possible to change the user info (when first install osx, things like user name, address, tele, etc)

'cause i dont want to fresh install the osx all over again

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Isn't some of that just sent as registration info to Apple?

And as for that, you can change the computer name (as seen over networks and in the Login Window) in the Sharing pref pane, and your user's full name can be changed in the Accounts pref pane. The other things *may* be in your Address Book card, but I'm not sure about that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    If I recall correctly, the info to which you are referring is not actually kept on your computer. What you were filling out was the registration of your software that it sends off to Apple when you finished.

As far as the user name on the computer itself, you can go to the System Prefs and just create a new admin user and delete the old one.

Moving to Mac OS X...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Yeah, that gumph is pretty irrelevant: you can fill it with complete gibberish and it will go through without a problem (I know this because I did a clean install on a spare drive for investigative purposes and decided to dick around a little). The main thing Apple gets from it is whether you're using the Mac at home or in business and whether or not you want email newsletters.

If you just want Apple to know you have the machine, much the same stuff is provided at https://register.apple.com (in fact, this is where you end up if you click the "Later" option at the end of the install process), and I don't see why there should be anything to stop you registering it there.

Spart, while those details are right, they're just internal to the machine and network, and won't communicate anything to Apple. I don't recall if any of those details automatically get inserted into Address Book for you, other than it creating a card with your name on it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Actually, some parts of that are important. Your first and last names are used as the basis for your login name, by default. You can, of course, change that during the installation.

However, if you later decide you don't want 'pookieschnookums' as your login name in the future... well, your only options are to create a new user and manually copy your files & settings, or backup your data and reinstall OS X. You can't actually change your login name (short name), though you might be able to change the descriptive name from another account with Admin capabilities.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    If you're already in an admin account, you can give any other user admin privileges and just copy the entire content of the user folder across., then log in as that user and delete the other one.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks, i think i would just create another admin account and delete the old one.