Basketball and social change collide in upcoming Apple TV+ 'Big Man on Campus'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has announced an order for a documentary series for Apple TV+ about five-star basketball recruit Makur Maker.

Apple describes
Apple describes "Big Man on Campus" as the story of a historic moment in America told through the lens of a young athlete with the power to create change

"Big Man on Campus" will tell the story of Maker's freshman year based against the backdrop of the Black Lives Matter movement and the COVID-19 pandemic.

It will include insight into Maker's decision to play for Howard University. The high-level recruit made history by committing to a Historically Black College over top-tier NCAA programs.

Apple's description reads:
Balancing extraordinary pressures both on and off the court, and with the eyes of the nation focused on his every move, Maker's journey - from fleeing war-torn South Sudan as a child through to the movement he has sparked today - has put a face on the socio-political complexities of America during this unprecedented time.
Seth Gordon will direct and executive produce. He produced the 2011 documentary "Undefeated," which won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Alongside Gordon, Nikki Calabrese, Andrew Fried, Dane Lillegard, Sarina Roma and Jordan Wynn will executive produce.

Apple hasn't yet announced a premiere date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Oh thank god. I was just thinking to myself, ‘we don’t hear nearly enough about social justice issues anymore.’ It’s been like a whole week since the last riot. It’s good to know we can always count on Apple to fan the flames (literally) of division when there’s a slump in violence and discord. Thank you Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 212member
    Oh thank god. I was just thinking to myself, ‘we don’t hear nearly enough about social justice issues anymore.’ It’s been like a whole week since the last riot. It’s good to know we can always count on Apple to fan the flames (literally) of division when there’s a slump in violence and discord. Thank you Apple!
    Psychopathalogical world-view. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    patchythepiratepatchythepirate Posts: 1,254member
    Alex_V said:

Hmm, I'm interested in your perspective. In what way? Or was your comment just a way to disagree with me, but without really presenting an actual argument?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 212member
    Alex_V said:

Hmm, I'm interested in your perspective. In what way? Or was your comment just a way to disagree with me, but without really presenting an actual argument?
    You clearly are referring to the Black Lives Matter protests. You evidently feel no compassion towards your fellow citizens who protest police brutality and are fighting racism and prejudice. I presume that you are not concerned about police killings (about three every day) of US citizens, (not counting those who die in jail). Never mind that America is arguably a gulag state with “the largest prison population in the world, and the highest per-capita incarceration rate.” (Wikipedia) Instead, no doubt it is “damage to property” by the protestors pains you most of all. Therefore, you must be a psychopath. 

Nothing much has changed. This from the 1960s: “Once the classic method of lynching was the rope. Now it is the police man’s bullet.” 
    https://segregationinamerica.eji.org/report/beyond-brown.html