dvd extracting

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a showreel on DVD that I need to re-edit, but don't have all my original files.

Is there anything out there which will extract DVD video & audio tracks into a straight Quicktime file that could be dropped into a Final Cut timeline?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    there is a tool that allows you to do that; it was written for that purpose.

unfortunately, I've forgot what it's name is. but you can also try forty-two .

• Reply 2 of 11
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

I have a showreel on DVD that I need to re-edit, but don't have all my original files.

Is there anything out there which will extract DVD video & audio tracks into a straight Quicktime file that could be dropped into a Final Cut timeline?

Yup try OSeX.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 568member
    Looks like OSeX is what I'm after, but it unexpectedly quits every time I choose the folder to copy the files to.

I'm running 10.2.4 with 1.5gb RAM on a dual 1.42
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Looks like OSeX is what I'm after, but it unexpectedly quits every time I choose the folder to copy the files to.

I'm running 10.2.4 with 1.5gb RAM on a dual 1.42

Got me there, I can tell you to use DVD Extractor with ffMPEGX to convert the ripped .vob files to their elementary streams. But OSeX is so much easier.

A@ron
  • Reply 5 of 11
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    hi

my copy of osex crashes every time as well...

I have a question though,

i understand that QT does not support 5.1 audio, so if your material has DTS, or DD you won't hear anything in QT (you still can vew mpeg2 files, but you will need mpeg2 playback component)

Am i correct here?

Also forty-two does not export to quick time, plus you do not want to re-compress your material.

If osex crashes, i would go with ffmpegx, it's pain in the butt to work with (IMO), but once you get it going, it will do many good things 4 u.

Ooops i forgot about one more thing... probably even better solution.

There is an app called discomvobulator (by authors of forty-two), it will extract any given title(s) from your dvd, easy to use, simple and fast.

Good luck :-)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

hi

my copy of osex crashes every time as well...

I have a question though,

i understand that QT does not support 5.1 audio, so if your material has DTS, or DD you won't hear anything in QT (you still can vew mpeg2 files, but you will need mpeg2 playback component)

Am i correct here?

Also forty-two does not export to quick time, plus you do not want to re-compress your material.

If osex crashes, i would go with ffmpegx, it's pain in the butt to work with (IMO), but once you get it going, it will do many good things 4 u.

Ooops i forgot about one more thing... probably even better solution.

There is an app called discomvobulator (by authors of forty-two), it will extract any given title(s) from your dvd, easy to use, simple and fast.

Good luck :-)

No idea about DD or DTS in Quicktime. However, I know Discomvobulator will output vob files which is not what jasonfl needs. He wants to go back and edit some previous work he has already done, and to do that it needs to be in some form of elementary stream (MOV, MPG2, MP2 & M2V).

Jasonfl, use ffmpegx to select the dvd, chose the "hi-bitrate DVD (NTSC)" preset, go to the "Tools" tab and deselect "Author as DVD (VIDEO_TS)" and hit the "Keep elementary streams". Type in a name to save it as and hit the encode button. After it is complete you are left with an MPEG-2 video and audio file (MP2 and M2V IIRC) and then you can use the mux area under tools in ffMPEGX to make them a muxed MPEG-2 which I am pretty sure can be used in FCP or FCEx by dropping it on the timeline.

A@ron
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks A@ron...

Which file do I choose to encode? It won't let me choose the whole disc.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    When I try the VIDEO_TS.VOB file (the largest on the disc) this is the result in the Terminal:

Encoding started on Mon Mar 24 11:25:43 EST 2003

usage: movtoy4m -w width -h height -F a:b -a a:b [-s] [-o ppm/y4m] movie.mov

example: movtoy4m -w 352 -h 288 -F 25:1 -a 4:3 pal_normal.mov

example: movtoy4m -w 352 -h 240 -F 30000:1001 -a 16:9 ntsc_wide.mov

**ERROR: [mpeg2enc] Could not read YUV4MPEG2 header: system error (failed read/write)!

a52dec-0.7.4 - by Michel Lespinasse <[email protected]> and Aaron Holtzman

No accelerated IMDCT transform found

INFO: Opened WAV file, freq = 48000 Hz, channels = 2, bits = 16

INFO: format = 0x1, audio length = 4294967256 bytes

INFO: slots/frame = 672

INFO: frac SpF=0.000, tot bitrate=224 kbps, s freq=48.0 kHz

INFO: System is big endian

21566 frames in 190.49 sec (113.21 fps), 62 last 0.55 sec (112.73 fps)

21613 frames decoded in 190.77 seconds (113.29 fps)

INFO: Avg slots/frame = Inf; b/smp = Inf; br = Inf kbps

INFO: Encoding with psychoacoustic model 2 is finished

INFO: The MPEG encoded output file name is "/Users/jasonfisherjones/Documents/royerreel.mp2"

INFO: [mplex] mplex version 2.2.1 ($Date: 2002/04/20 19:08:30 $)

**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to open file /Users/jasonfisherjones/Documents/royerreel.m2v for reading.

Encoding completed on Mon Mar 24 11:28:57 EST 2003

[66-108-172-194:~] jasonfisherjones%
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by A@ron

No idea about DD or DTS in Quicktime. However, I know Discomvobulator will output vob files which is not what jasonfl needs. He wants to go back and edit some previous work he has already done, and to do that it needs to be in some form of elementary stream (MOV, MPG2, MP2 & M2V).

A@ron

Not to be picky or anything, but disco will create ready to burn images (.iso)

(mp2)

not VOB
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Not to be picky or anything, but disco will create ready to burn images (.iso)

(mp2)

not VOB

and if you were to burn this disk image onto a DVD-R(W) what folders do you think are on this disk? I'm willing to bet it has VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders with the VIDEO_TS folder containing .VOB files. I may be completely wrong but the only format that has an mpeg-2 format directly accessable off the disk is SVCD and even then it is in .DAT format. **shrugs** Jason I have no problem with my new dual 1.25 and OSeX or ffMPEGX. That is of course you installed the menuencoder and all the other little unix backbone tools that need to be installed to use ffMPEGX. I believe the instructions and download locations are in the read me for ffMPEGX (which no one ever reads).

A@ron
  • Reply 11 of 11
    yup, i installed the 3 backbone files as instructed.

Is the Terminal message I copied above at least a result of try to extract from the correct file?