Pro speaker revamp

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone think Apple will ever redesign the Pro speakers? These one's have stayed the same for what, four years? That's a real long time to go without an update.



Any speculation?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,125member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CubeDude

    Does anyone think Apple will ever redesign the Pro speakers? These one's have stayed the same for what, four years? That's a real long time to go without an update.



    Any speculation?




    Seeing "Pro" before that speaker makes me ill \



    There is in NO way anything professional about those speakers.



    How about Apple make some Firewire Speakers. Develop a full 3 Piece system that connects via one FW cable to the Sub box which in turn plugs into an AC jack. Keep the round shape but make'em a bit larger for more output.



    If Not I might have to just add some A'Diva's to my next Mac





  • Reply 2 of 19
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Seeing "Pro" before that speaker makes me ill \



    There is in NO way anything professional about those speakers.



    How about Apple make some Firewire Speakers. Develop a full 3 Piece system that connects via one FW cable to the Sub box which in turn plugs into an AC jack. Keep the round shape but make'em a bit larger for more output.



    If Not I might have to just add some A'Diva's to my next Mac





    Or how about a 6 piece system...5.1 via 1 FW cable to the subwoofer. Or a 3 piece system with the other 3 pieces sold optionally.



    Oh...and 5.1 support in DVD Player...and advertise it, dammit. So people know it's there and beg Aspyr, MacPlay, MacSoft to ship games with 5.1 support. For the love of God!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    It's about time for that to happen. It'd need to be able to connect via a standard audio-out connector though, or do the current speakers use something like that. I thought they used a proprietary connector.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Refurb Klipsch 4.1 for $149 are a better deal anyway about it.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    -------------- SURROUND SOUND

    SURROUND SOUND please SURROUND SOUND

    SURROUND SOUND ----- SURROUND SOUND



    C'mon! I think that if Apple starts showing up with PowerMacs that are really 5.1-abled, then they will start selling their own speakers along with 'em
  • Reply 6 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nebagakid

    -------------- SURROUND SOUND

    SURROUND SOUND please SURROUND SOUND

    SURROUND SOUND ----- SURROUND SOUND



    C'mon! I think that if Apple starts showing up with PowerMacs that are really 5.1-abled, then they will start selling their own speakers along with 'em




    5.1? Where have you been... that's old news.





    I'm running 8.1 in my setup.



    8.1 = 7.1 setup up with external matrix-decoder on the surround L&R for the surround-up channel, 2 speakers on a discrete 6th channel (rear surround), and discrete surround L & R after the 6th channel has been matrixed back out for backwards compatibility. Oh... plus the front three channels and the LFE channel for a grand total of 8.1.



    Yes. 5.1 is waaay old school at this point.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah what the hell? It seems as if Apple strongly promotes the development of some technologies (802.11b/g, DVD-R, LCDs, bluetooth, FireWire) but they completely ignore others that PCs have had for years (5.1 surround sound, UDF-format CD-RWs, USB 2.0). What, has 5.1 sound somehow gotten put on their "PC is teh bad" list?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Yes the sound support on the mac has not changed much since the introduction of stereo input in the Quadra 840 from 1993. So the speakers on the outside that is easy to change is the least of their problems. However there is a nice thing with the built in 2x10W amplifers. Mate those with small shielded speakers meant for the home cinema setup and you have a sound quaility vastly better than any computer speakers. B&W make some really nice ones
  • Reply 9 of 19
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

    Yeah what the hell? It seems as if Apple strongly promotes the development of some technologies (802.11b/g, DVD-R, LCDs, bluetooth, FireWire) but they completely ignore others that PCs have had for years (5.1 surround sound, UDF-format CD-RWs, USB 2.0). What, has 5.1 sound somehow gotten put on their "PC is teh bad" list?



    I wonder how many people actually have 5.1 sound systems hooked up to their PCs. I bet it's not many. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see. I just don't think that this equates to the lack of CD burning a couple years ago.



  • Reply 10 of 19
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DrBoar

    Yes the sound support on the mac has not changed much since the introduction of stereo input in the Quadra 840 from 1993. So the speakers on the outside that is easy to change is the least of their problems. However there is a nice thing with the built in 2x10W amplifers. Mate those with small shielded speakers meant for the home cinema setup and you have a sound quaility vastly better than any computer speakers. B&W make some really nice ones



    it bugs me apple isnt 24bit yet...16bit across the line..thats so cheap quality!\



    i have old school stereo...b&w
  • Reply 11 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cycle

    it bugs me apple isnt 24bit yet...16bit across the line..thats so cheap quality!\



    i have old school stereo...b&w




    True, true.



    Even with my 8.1 setup, I listen to music almost exclusively in stereo with the other 7 speakers turned completely off.



    Still, the 1/8 inch stereo mini jack output has a worse signal to noise ratio than ALL other audio components sold in the past 10 years.



    I love Macs but hate the stock sound output quality. Its been obviously inferior for many years.

    \



    Maybe the 970 boxes....
  • Reply 12 of 19
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I'm happy with the M-Audio Rev. 7.1 card through Klipsch 5.1 in surround for music. Be nice if it was built into OS X, could have saved $100.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I think a 5.1 "pro" speaker set would be a pretty wise move.



    That or, a set of really hi-fi bookshelf/computer speakers and a new woofer.



    The Pro Speakers aren't bad, but they definitely aren't the best, and they are in no way "pro" that's for sure.



    I think though that the notion of apple developing a 5.1 system(or rather Harmon Kardon developing it and apple selling it) kind of goes against Apple's dedication to simplicity.



    I don't care who you are, setting up a 5.1 system for optimal performance takes way more time than Apple likes to use when advertising how quickly you can set something up. If apple could design some sort of 5.1(I'm saying 5.1 when I secretly mean 7.1) system that was easy to install and operate, then that would be pretty great. But I don't see that possible, since so many 5.1 systems sound best when speakers are mounted on walls, or stands around the room, and I just don't see apple selling mounting kits and stuff that requires more work than just plug an go.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nitzer

    I wonder how many people actually have 5.1 sound systems hooked up to their PCs. I bet it's not many. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see. I just don't think that this equates to the lack of CD burning a couple years ago.









    You'd be surprised. So many gamers buy those cheap 4.1 or 5.1 systems and use them, even more wannabe movie buffs buy those slightly more expensive 5.1 or 6.1 systems all the time. People that don't know a lot about speakers but know they want more than everyone else get those fancy 7.1 systems. 8)



    I'm sure the numbers aren't staggering, but there certainly is a really big market for multiple speaker set-ups.



    I'm all for them, but ultimately I think I'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks to get a set of nice bookshelf monitors than spend a couple hundred on a cheapo 5.1 system.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Wrong Robust

    You'd be surprised. So many gamers buy those cheap 4.1 or 5.1 systems and use them, even more wannabe movie buffs buy those slightly more expensive 5.1 or 6.1 systems all the time. People that don't know a lot about speakers but know they want more than everyone else get those fancy 7.1 systems. 8)



    Whew. Good thing I'm running 8.1 then.



    I agree that there are a surprising number of people running multichannel setups. There have been an amazing number of home theater receivers and shelf systems sold in the US over the last decade. Within the past few years, even the cheaper versions of these started including toslink and coaxial digital inputs. These digital cords are even simpler than stereo RCA plugs to connect, one cord and you're done. (unless the MPIAA gets its way (don't get me started )) For fifty bucks and a trip to Circuit City or equivalent store, families are picking up 4.1 and 5.1 surround systems for a kid's birthday. This has proven popular since kids then have a place to listen to their own music and they also love it for games.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Even if the speakers aren't surround, they need to be 24bit. What's keeping Apple? It's not like it needs a major celebration. Just release the speakers with a major product(like next PM's) like they did with the white keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I am looking to buy a set of Pro Speakers (at a good price).



    If anybody has a pair for cheap, PM me. Thx!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CubeDude

    Even if the speakers aren't surround, they need to be 24bit. What's keeping Apple? It's not like it needs a major celebration. Just release the speakers with a major product(like next PM's) like they did with the white keyboard and mouse.



    Erm... not sure how one goes along and makes a 24 bit speaker as a speaker is merely a powered analog device. 24 bit d/a convertors can be found on the mac, like certain m-audio sound cards. Though for most uses it wont sample more than 16bit (except DVD audio).



    I personally think 24 bit is over hyped, because you're only going to use it for DVD, and even then, the sound quality is a function of how good your speakers are and how good your digital/analog convertors are. All sound from the mac is 16bit/44khz or 48khz, on par with CD, and that's quite sufficient. What Apple REALLY needs to do is fix DVD player so it passes ac3 to sound cards, then we can finally get surround sound in DVDs. Also some central service for games would be nice, supported by Apple and robust.



    Meh, for the price of my current 2.1 sound system (which has a 24bit/96khz d/a convertor which never goes into that mode), I could have a 32.8 system in Klipsch promedias.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

    I am looking to buy a set of Pro Speakers (at a good price).



    If anybody has a pair for cheap, PM me. Thx!




    You can buy it from OWC......



    or



    eBay





    I got a pair of brand new retail (not OEM) Pro Speakers with white plastic ring off from eBay for 40 bucks
Sign In or Register to comment.