Western Digital launches new SanDisk Professional storage solutions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Western Digital has launched a number of new storage solutions aimed at professionals and content creators under the refreshed SanDisk Professional branding.

Credit: Western Digital
Credit: Western Digital

The new SanDisk Professional branding builds on the company's existing SanDisk and G-Technology brands -- and will replace the latter brand. New products include 16 premium storage solutions aimed at professional content creators and enterprise users.

Some of the new products under the SanDisk Professional lineup include a 4TB G-Drive ArmorLock portable SSD with enterprise features, as well as G-Raid and G-Raid Shuttle RAID solutions that support Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C support.

Western Digital also debuted a SanDisk Professional 4-bay reader docking station meant to support capture from up to four cards simultaneously. It's also launching a new CFExpress VPG400 card that supports video recording with a minimum write speed of 400MB/s and four new Pro-Reader devices that support SuperSpeed USB (with speeds up to 10Gbs).

Along with the new products, existing accessories and devices that will be released under the SanDisk Professional brand are also getting speed bumps and USB interface upgrades.

Western Digital's G-Drive and RAID solutions are expected to debut by early June. Its other products, including the ProDock 4 and the CFExpress card, will become available later in the summer. Pricing is not yet available on any product.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Huh. I wasn’t aware that Western Digital had bought G-Technology. Sigh. Another one bites the dust. I just read the ownership history on Wikipedia and it just illustrates the process of companies disappearing, one after the next.

At some point, everything will be owned by two corporations. “Free market” cultists will tell us “you still have choices!”... just like the choices we have in our political duopoly: A choice between bad and horrifying. 
    rob53beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    Yes, WD purchased HGST in 2012!

They still use HGST drives (at least early on), but some of the larger capacity portable drives used WD mechanisms.

What you're seeing is the shareholder insistence on growth to boost the stock value. If you can't actually sell more of your product, buy out somebody else. Growth!
    edited May 2021 ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I'm in Canada. When I clicked on the link in the story for SanDisk I was redirected to a "fr-ca" branch of their website. Apparently SanDisk thinks all people in Canada are French, so the buttons, the cookie warning and the menus at the bottom of the page were in French only. Although the product descriptions were in English, there was no button to take me to a website that had English buttons and links.

This would be roughly equivalent to having a Spanish-only page for everyone in America.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    I'm in Canada. When I clicked on the link in the story for SanDisk I was redirected to a "fr-ca" branch of their website. Apparently SanDisk thinks all people in Canada are French, so the buttons, the cookie warning and the menus at the bottom of the page were in French only. Although the product descriptions were in English, there was no button to take me to a website that had English buttons and links.

This would be roughly equivalent to having a Spanish-only page for everyone in America.
    I clicked the link and the site loaded with a button at the top saying "Canadian English" for a second or two. Page reloaded - in English except for Acheter des Maintnant (Buy now I think) - and I see fr-ca in the URL

Adobe has a support number for Sign which answers in French. Providing you get into the hold system for sales or support it will ask you in French if you want "Anglophone". YES!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member

Not really. Canada has two official languages, English and French. The USA has no official language, although English is the predominant language. But there are parts of the US where other languages are widely spoken at a local level including Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, and of course indigenous dialects. I've traveled to many countries throughout the world and I've never ceased to be impressed by how many people outside of the US speak English quite well while relatively few English speaking Americans speak any second language at all, at least from what I've seen. 
    Detnator
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mknelson said:

I clicked the link and the site loaded with a button at the top saying "Canadian English" for a second or two. Page reloaded - in English except for Acheter des Maintnant (Buy now I think) - and I see fr-ca in the URL

Adobe has a support number for Sign which answers in French. Providing you get into the hold system for sales or support it will ask you in French if you want "Anglophone". YES!
    Your second paragraph is funny. Your first paragraphs seems to confirm what I saw, although I didn't notice any option for Canadian English. Maybe if I cleared my cookies I could get it back. I was quite curious by SanDisk's website, but the poor treatment of English got me a little upset and I need some cooldown time before I go back. Perhaps this will give me insight as to how French people in Canada feel.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dewme said:

Not really. Canada has two official languages, English and French. The USA has no official language, although English is the predominant language. But there are parts of the US where other languages are widely spoken at a local level including Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, and of course indigenous dialects. I've traveled to many countries throughout the world and I've never ceased to be impressed by how many people outside of the US speak English quite well while relatively few English speaking Americans speak any second language at all, at least from what I've seen. 
    there are 54 countries which have English as their official language. And be impressed if you go to England where the language came from, at least spoken correctly. As the queen 👸 says. :smiley: 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    dewme said:

there are 54 countries which have English as their official language. And be impressed if you go to England where the language came from, at least spoken correctly. As the queen 👸 says. :smiley: 
    Yeah, it’s on a sliding scale. It’s kind of funny when tv shows in the US have to add English language captioning when the speakers are actually speaking in English. And I’m not talking cases where English is a second language. 

English is definitely the de facto “language of business.”
  • Reply 9 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

The new SanDisk Professional branding builds on the company's existing SanDisk and G-Technology brands -- and will replace the latter brand. 
    Then why do the boxes have the giant G-Drive logos on them?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    dewme said:

there are 54 countries which have English as their official language. And be impressed if you go to England where the language came from, at least spoken correctly. As the queen ߑ蠳ays. :smiley: 
    Quite the historical achievement for such a small island.  It pisses the French off to this day. :)

Seriously though, there are parts of the UK where I can hardly understand the local dialect and I was born and raised there.  Thirty years plus in the USA and I've yet to not be able to understand the spoken word anywhere, Americans speak English very well regardless of regional dialect IMHO.  As for not speaking other languages, the Brits are the same.  My guess is lack of need for the most part as everyone else (except the Parisians) wants to speak English so as to improve I think.  Music is mostly in English the world over, that and Hollywood helps, who doesn't watch American movies?
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dewme said:

I said roughly equivalent, not exactly equivalent. Moreover, Canada has two official languages only for the federal government and the provinces of Manitoba and New Brunswick. That policy does not apply to private business or municipal governments. The other eight provinces have only one official language. In 7 provinces that language is English, while in 1 province it's French. Are you even Canadian?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,325member
    dewme said:

I've traveled to many countries throughout the world and I've never ceased to be impressed by how many people outside of the US speak English quite well while relatively few English speaking Americans speak any second language at all, at least from what I've seen. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDpaM2r72A
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    dysamoria said:
    Huh. I wasn’t aware that Western Digital had bought G-Technology. Sigh. Another one bites the dust. I just read the ownership history on Wikipedia and it just illustrates the process of companies disappearing, one after the next.

At some point, everything will be owned by two corporations. “Free market” cultists will tell us “you still have choices!”... just like the choices we have in our political duopoly: A choice between bad and horrifying. 
    This happened a long, long time ago... I believe around 2012. So not a new development by ANY means.