Is anyone here fluent in RC car motor lingo?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need a motor with ballsy torque. More turns or less turns? Single, dual, or quad head motor? What brand?



Thanks. I doubt anyone will know here, but I had to give it a try.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    I need a motor with ballsy torque. More turns or less turns? Single, dual, or quad head motor? What brand?



    Thanks. I doubt anyone will know here, but I had to give it a try.




    I wish I could help you there Splinemodel but I just have no info on that. I do not mean to split your thread but may I also ask if anyone knows anything about RC planes? Near one of the lakes I live by are a group of folks who fly their planes. I was thinking of the idea of an RC plane. Looks like a cool time.



    Again not to tread within your thread with another issue but I thought while on a similar subject why not ask.



    Thanks



    Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    RC planes are cool. my advice is to get a starter kit from tower hobbies. (Towerhobbies.com) Once you get the feel for it, you can get a better plane. I just have a lot of custom work to do, and thus need a custom answer.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    I need a motor with ballsy torque. More turns or less turns? Single, dual, or quad head motor? What brand?



    Thanks. I doubt anyone will know here, but I had to give it a try.




    You probably want a motor with fewer turns and fewer winds. I haven't been into RC for a long time, but you probably can't go wrong with Reedy/Associated or Trinity motors.



    Fewer turns = higher RPM, draws more power

    Fewer winds = punchier motor...the acceleration curve is much steeper.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Wow....haven't heard that lingo in a while....



    If memory serves, single turn will have max torque (could be wrong bout that tho)



    Of course nitro is clearly the best way to go. 10x more fun than some pansy electrical.

    There's just something about the smell, smoke and screaming motor that's fun as hell, not mention the crazy speed.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by robotkiller

    Wow....haven't heard that lingo in a while....



    If memory serves, single turn will have max torque (could be wrong bout that tho)



    Of course nitro is clearly the best way to go. 10x more fun than some pansy electrical.

    There's just something about the smell, smoke and screaming motor that's fun as hell, not mention the crazy speed.




    Thanks!



    I would love to run on Nitro fuel but it has to run indoors and it doesn't need to be so fast. I was looking at some Trinity Motors today, and they seem really good.



    The equations I remember from Physics class apply to more simple motors. There are some mechanical differences in most commercial motors that I know about, but I don't know what they are exactly. I'll buy a motor with this in mind.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    marsmars Posts: 51member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

    I wish I could help you there Splinemodel but I just have no info on that. I do not mean to split your thread but may I also ask if anyone knows anything about RC planes? Near one of the lakes I live by are a group of folks who fly their planes. I was thinking of the idea of an RC plane. Looks like a cool time.





    Fellows




    rcflying.net





    I'm cockatoo over there and anyone will be glad to help you out.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    I need a motor with ballsy torque. More turns or less turns? Single, dual, or quad head motor? What brand?



    Thanks. I doubt anyone will know here, but I had to give it a try.




    I am an RC enthusiast. What's the motor for? Car, plane or boat? If you want a high torque motor you need to go for something with MORE turns but not too much. In stock RC car racing 27 turn is stock but now the new stock is going 19 turn. I race 17 turn for off road 2wd and it's a good match. I would say 16-19turn is the sweet spot for torque but also watch out for the wind.It should bea triple or quad. Anything higher turn like 8, 10 or 12 will give you good rpm and horsepower but lower torque.



    PM with other questions if you want.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,437member
    " You probably want a motor with fewer turns and fewer winds. I haven't been into RC for a long time, but you probably can't go wrong with Reedy/Associated or Trinity motors."





    Agreed from what I remember. I also think the higher "numbers" tend to have more torque?



    On the plane front: Get and "ARF" (Almost Ready to Fly) Trainer...with a "high-wing" design (wings over fuselage). Whatever you do, don't get a sporty low wing design. If going nitro fuel power, get a ".46 engine" size to start. Get a 4 channel radio, preferably from "Futaba".



    ANd WHATEVER YOU DO: Join a local club and get an instructor! Most people fail when trying it by themselves.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SDW2001

    " You probably want a motor with fewer turns and fewer winds. I haven't been into RC for a long time, but you probably can't go wrong with Reedy/Associated or Trinity motors."





    Agreed from what I remember. I also think the higher "numbers" tend to have more torque?



    On the plane front: Get and "ARF" (Almost Ready to Fly) Trainer...with a "high-wing" design (wings over fuselage). Whatever you do, don't get a sporty low wing design. If going nitro fuel power, get a ".46 engine" size to start. Get a 4 channel radio, preferably from "Futaba".



    ANd WHATEVER YOU DO: Join a local club and get an instructor! Most people fail when trying it by themselves.




    Add to the list TeamOrion motors. Best motors at the best prices. All the top racers are using them now. They even have some nice brushless motors now if you have the cash to spend. Team orion make their own cans and armatures to boot and are Canadian!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    so are you steering with wheel or joysticks?



    are there class restrictions on displacement or mass or are you building an "unlimited" machine?



    check out the robotwars sites for use of wheelchair motors ganged in pairs with enough torque to pull cars



    and i think the junkyard wars folks have hooked RC control to full size land rovers if you want overkill.



    might be too much for indoor (gymnasium?) use
  • Reply 11 of 16
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    I would love to run on Nitro fuel but it has to run indoors and it doesn't need to be so fast.



    I hope you're not planning on playing with one in your house, even the electric cars can go pretty fast. I remember reading in a magazine (Radio Control Car Action?) that the world record for some electric car was 80MPH or so. This was years ago, however (4 or 5.) Of course, it may have been 1/5 or 1/4 scale. Probably not what you are going to be using.



    Of course, there are those nice indoor carpeted tracks.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Spart

    I hope you're not planning on playing with one in your house, even the electric cars can go pretty fast. I remember reading in a magazine (Radio Control Car Action?) that the world record for some electric car was 80MPH or so. This was years ago, however (4 or 5.) Of course, it may have been 1/5 or 1/4 scale. Probably not what you are going to be using.



    Of course, there are those nice indoor carpeted tracks.




    Max speed now is 111mph. It was done using a TC3 with a hand wound 4 turn motor and some insane gearing that probably melted after it hit 111. I have gotten my HPI RS4 rally up to about 50mph with stock gearing and a high wound motor though.



    Here's a TC3:









    Most of the body is carbon fiber with titanium turnbuckles and other parts. You'll notice it's 4wd and shaft driven instead of belt. At 111mph most belts would have burnt up like cheap chinese fire crackers. Most belts. But not in this one:







    Kyosho KX-One, my favorite that I have been pining away for. Sweet.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

    so are you steering with wheel or joysticks?



    Steering is done with a couple feedback loops through some op-amps connected to a camera, a little AtoD, a PIC, maybe some 68HC11 code. . .



    Quote:

    are there class restrictions on displacement or mass or are you building an "unlimited" machine?



    The limit is the ability of the machine vision to sample fast enough. The curves in the course are also pretty tight. The motor needs to be torquey and strong because the gearing is pretty low. Plus, we're stalling in reverse to act as a brake. The chasis is a typical "stadium truck." I made some custom modifications to the suspension to reflect the fact that it's not going to go off road. I decided on the truck because it has bigger tires (better grip) and more space for the PC boards.



    Quote:

    check out the robotwars sites for use of wheelchair motors ganged in pairs with enough torque to pull cars



    Overkill. The vehicle weighs like 2 lbs
  • Reply 14 of 16
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Outsider

    Max speed now is 111mph. It was done using a TC3 with a hand wound 4 turn motor and some insane gearing that probably melted after it hit 111. I have gotten my HPI RS4 rally up to about 50mph with stock gearing and a high wound motor though.



    I don't doubt that about the gearing. Would be wicked to see one of those little cars hit 111 then lose control and crash chaotically into something and perhaps explode.



    I feel out of the loop now...this hasn't been my thing for a while. I used to have a Traxxis Nitro Rustler but I sold that a year or two ago. What is Team Associated's big thing right now? T3 still king of the hill or is there something new?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Spart

    I don't doubt that about the gearing. Would be wicked to see one of those little cars hit 111 then lose control and crash chaotically into something and perhaps explode.



    I feel out of the loop now...this hasn't been my thing for a while. I used to have a Traxxis Nitro Rustler but I sold that a year or two ago. What is Team Associated's big thing right now? T3 still king of the hill or is there something new?




    Well they got the B4 now but Moster trucks & road cars are the big thing now. Rally cars have decent support because you can race them on poorly kept on road tracks and blue groove tracks. But 1/18 scale is bigger than ever too. Everything seems focused on 1/10 and 1/18 now.
Sign In or Register to comment.