Refreshing Finder Windows

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why do I have to close and re-open Finder windows to see changes to my folder's contents? The creation or deletion of files doesn't display in "real-time" in OS X like it did in OS 9. I feel like I am using Windows(!), only worse- I don't have a "refresh" button.

Do you notice this?

Is it a pain in the arse for you, too?

Will this be fixed?

It makes my networked OS X users nervous. They think that their files are dissappearing on our LAN. I have to remind them to close Finder windows and then go back to see the changes. Grrrr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That annoys me too but I usually don't have to close and reopen the window, all I have to do is click on something in it. Although I've noticed that if you use the search box in a finder window, you can't go back to the standard results unless you use the back button. Annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    You'd think this would be fixed by 10.2.4...but no. I really hate the Finder in OS X. I hope Apple is rewriting a whole new Finder for 10.3 because this one is beyond hope and almost makes me feel like I'm using Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Yeah, say I render a CGI project to the Desktop, I have to actualy click on the Desktop (under 10.2.4) for it to magically appear... bit poor. Here's to 10.3!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Yeah, say I render a CGI project to the Desktop, I have to actualy click on the Desktop (under 10.2.4) for it to magically appear... bit poor. Here's to 10.3!

That does get very annoying. When I first got OSX and downloaded some shareware off VT, I couldn't see it on the desktop and went off to redownload all of it. Fortunately, I'm using DSL.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Just hit command-[ and then command-]. That will effectively refresh the window.\
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    YEAH! this is one of the little things about os X that was driving me nuts! thanks for articulating it! i have a new reason to be upset!

HALLELUJAH