Beware of AIM 4.5.995

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I opened up AIM today, and they said there was a new version. So, I tried downloading it, but AIM died. I tried 3 times, but AIM kept quitting before it could finish. So I downloaded it from Safari, but before I could navigate to the program to 2x click it (I had turned off safari's "safe" opening of downloads, which has caused my computer to crash twice on other downloads), the Finder quit. And wouldn't reopen. Every so often the dock will show the arrow under the Finder, but it doesn't last long, and the finder requits frequently. I tried restarting to no avail.

Stranger still. As I was writing this I decided to delete the AIM I had downloaded (from terminal, since I can't get into the Finder). Finder now can start again. It was almost an immediate reaction: "InstallAIM" gone, Finder up. Anyone else have such weird reactions to AIM 4.5.995? For some reason, the Finder doesn't like when it is on my desktop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    I was playing around with it, and I think its Safari's fault, not AIMs. Safari tries to unstuff, unbin, ungzip and expand several kinds of files internally, even if I tell it to not even handle "safe" files. And, I think it mishandled the file. I was able to download aim with 'wget' and unstuff it with Alladin's expander, install it and it works without problems.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    worked fine for me
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Works here too.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    nm-off topic
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Also works here