.MAC - what are the benefits?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Pardon me if this topic has been addressed before. If it has, please let me know what thread. I was unable to complete a search of the archives (again).

Besides the obvious facts, that you can get a [email protected], storage space, web mail...what do you find the most beneficial to getting a .mac account. I am about to seriously consider it and want to know if it's really worth it.

Think I will do the 60 day free trial now.

Jessica

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    File Transfer/Storage.

I expect Apple will have some new wrinkles too come fall this year. I'll be ready.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The document backups, keeping all my iCal content and iTunes playlists in sync, making quick'n'easy picture galleries on the web, and having a good chunk of webspace to play with.

When it was free, everyone went for it, but now it's more a question of whether or not you're going to use the features. Definitely try before you buy.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    for me, i bought a membership when it was US$50 (i was a pre-existing member), and i got it trusting that apple would make it worth it. at the time, i felt its features were very poor. i think they have made some slight improvements, BUT, the best things have been the discounts and freebies that i have gotten so far. heck,t he free kodak print alone were nice. then the stuffit deluxe discount, virex for free, etc. well, i'm a sucker for freebies and sales, so i think i have gotten my money's worth.

HOWEVER...

i wonder how much more they will add, and if it will be worth another US$99 when my membership rolls around. i would like to think that they would institute a US$50 special for all those who stuck with it through the first year...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    At US$50, it was still worth it. But it is really hard to justify signing up for .Mac if it is US$99.

Dun sign up just for the cool email address. Make sure u really use the features.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Software

Software talk, including OS X software, gaming, OS 9, and .Mac.

Moving to Software.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Personally, I think it's worth it just for the Backup software, Virex and web & email space. The extra freebies are nice too.

I would like to have better templates for Homepage (the current ones are really bad), or perhaps discounts on true web development software (I still need to upgrade this old copy of Dreamweaver...).