Fox Now app ends third-generation Apple TV support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Fox Now app is now no longer supported by the third-generation Apple TV, with the streaming app now only accessible on the fourth-generation Apple TV and newer models.

In May, Fox said it was dropping support for the Fox Now app on the third-generation Apple TV from June 17. It appears that Fox has followed through with its announced change.

First reported on Saturday by Appleosophy, the Fox Now app is no longer accessible on the third-generation Apple TV. It also appears that previously-installed versions of the app are removed from view on the set-top box.

While the app is no longer usable on the third-generation Apple TV, those using the fourth-generation model and later with tvOS can download and install the app onto their set-top boxes for viewing.

It is still possible to watch content from the Fox Now app on the third-generation Apple TV, albeit indirectly. To do so, users will have to use the app on their iPhone or iPad and use AirPlay to stream it to the Apple TV.

The removal of support follows after other apps performing the same move. Earlier in 2021, the third-generation version lost support for the MLB app, CBS All Access, and YouTube.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So who’s guilty of ‘planned obsolescence’ in this case? Gen 3 Apple TV owners are complaining about a lot of stuff these days with app developers abandoning the olde box.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    We are certainly seeing new forms of obsolescence these days. Apps that are tied to contemporary content or logic, like YouTube and TurboTax, can implicitly drop support for older hardware platforms when the app developers decides to start using system features, APIs, etc., that are not supported on older hardware. There’s not much you can do about it either, not when the app itself has little or no value without access to contemporary content and/or business logic. There’s no way to completely avoid obsolescence. Either you learn to live with a diminished elderly product or you crack open the wallet and start the cycle over again. I had to decommission my 3rd Gen Apple TV earlier this year and my 2011 i7 MacBook Air is in hospice care until I can acquire the new M1 iMac I’ve earmarked as its replacement. The hardware never failed me, but the required software dried up. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Pla
    nned, or couldn’t be bothered updating the app anymore as so few people are using an ATV3 still ( I admit I still do, but I suspect it is unusual)?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    entropys said:
    Pla
    nned, or couldn’t be bothered updating the app anymore as so few people are using an ATV3 still ( I admit I still do, but I suspect it is unusual)?
    I’d think so.  It was released in 2012 and revised in 2013.  That’s 8 years since the last rev.   Can’t imagine that many are in the market AND are upset about the Fox Now app.  
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    sdw2001 said:
    entropys said:
    Pla
    I’d think so.  It was released in 2012 and revised in 2013.  That’s 8 years since the last rev.   Can’t imagine that many are in the market AND are upset about the Fox Now app.  
    Just picked up a new 4K, moved my original 4K to the bedroom and the ATV3 that was there has been relegated to a guest room. Probably the last stop before the recycle bin. Can’t complain after using it for 8 years or so.