Apple TV+ shares behind-the-scenes look at dark comedy 'Physical'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ on Tuesday shared a new video giving a behind-the-scenes look at its 1980s dark comedy show "Physical," which stars Rose Byrne.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The clip, published to the official Apple TV+ YouTube channel, features commentary and insights from series showrunner Annie Weisman, as well as actors like Rory Scovel, Della Saba, Dierdre Friel, and Byrne.

"Physical" follows Sheila Rubin, "a quietly tormented housewife" in 1980s San Diego whose discovery of aerobics kick-starts a journey toward empowerment and success.

In addition to detailing the setting of '80s Southern California, the video also gives insight on some of the characters of the show -- including Sheila's struggles with body dysmorphia and bulimia.

"Physical" is directed by Liza Johnson, Stephanie Laing, and Craig Gillespie. In addition to Scovel, Saba, and Friel, other co-stars include Lou Taylor Pucci, Paul Sparks, and Ashley Liao.

The series debuted on Apple TV+ on June 18. New episodes premiere each Friday.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.AppleInsider is also bringing you the best Apple-related deals for Amazon Prime Day 2021. There are bargains before, during, and even after Prime Day on June 21 and 22 -- with every deal at your fingertips throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’m seeing this show everywhere. Is it Apple’s next hit?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Beats said:
    I’m seeing this show everywhere. Is it Apple’s next hit?
    I haven’t seen it anywhere. Is this Apples next flop?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 9
    AppleInsider has a...somewhat less than flattering review of this show.  The gist of the review seemed to me to be "too much like real life to be entertaining."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    AppleInsider has a...somewhat less than flattering review of this show.  The gist of the review seemed to me to be "too much like real life to be entertaining."

I’ve seen the opposite elsewhere. Also saw a positive YouTube review with nothing but likes and 0 dislikes.

Who knows?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    I've watched the first three episodes and think the show is worth watching.

I did read the AppleInsider review and think it was a bit over the top but will choose to stay away from critiquing it so that this thread isn't deleted, too. I will say that I don't normally pay attention to reviews when choosing what to watch or not.

I do get why the show focuses on the main character's body dysmorphia and bulimia but the constants negative voice in her head talking about being fat or someone else being fat may be how a person like that thinks but I don't really think it conveys her issue well and truthfully I find the constant negative chatter to be annoying. Meaning I think they could have made the show w/o the body dysmorphia and bulimia issue and instead focused on the wife wanting to stand on her own and to be successful.
    watto_cobraminicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Did you notice they took down the comments on that review?  :'(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mknelson said:
    Did you notice they took down the comments on that review?  :'(
    Yeah, because the vast majority of the comments were personal attacks directed at the reviewer. Almost none were related to the review at hand.

If you have any further questions, I have elaborated on the reasons why here: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/222411/discussion-for-physical-review-deleted#latest If you don't want to read it, that's fine -- but the TLDR is, our adult forum-goers were behaving like children for the most part, and felt that the rules of the forums didn't apply to them.

This ends this particular avenue of conversation in this thread. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Boy, I'm a big fan of many of TV+ shows, but this one looks really depressing. Which is sad, because I love Rose Byrne.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    A TV series "inspired" by a John Travolta / Jamie Lee Curtis 80's movie? What could go wrong?
    tenthousandthings