Worrying Console Message

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Mar 25 15:13:31 Robs-PowerBook mach_kernel: [KernelDebugging] [FindKernelLogger] No com_apple_iokit_KLog found.

Mar 25 15:13:32 Robs-PowerBook mach_kernel: [KernelDebugging] [FindKernelLogger] Could not find a logger instance. Error = E00002BC.

Mar 25 15:13:32 Robs-PowerBook mach_kernel: [KernelDebugging] SetOutputType failed: could not find kernel logger. It probably needs to be loaded?

I don't like the look of this any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Replace the system.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lol, good answer, mattyj
  • Reply 3 of 10
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Replace the system.

Well the wierd thing is it's the default install from the cd + the updates since then from Apple.

So test I connected my external firewire drive and installed from the software restore dvd.

This install does it as well....wierd huh?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i recommend you ignore it until you notice a problem. it's usually not useful for everyone to look through the log messages, because people don't realize how trivial some of them are. maybe the worst thing that happens is your console is a few lines longer.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i recommend you ignore it until you notice a problem. it's usually not useful for everyone to look through the log messages, because people don't realize how trivial some of them are. maybe the worst thing that happens is your console is a few lines longer.

it appears in the startup when in Verbose mode.

I have had some inexplicable kernel crashes...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

Mar 25 15:13:31 Robs-PowerBook mach_kernel: [KernelDebugging] [FindKernelLogger] No com_apple_iokit_KLog found.

Mar 25 15:13:32 Robs-PowerBook mach_kernel: [KernelDebugging] [FindKernelLogger] Could not find a logger instance. Error = E00002BC.

Mar 25 15:13:32 Robs-PowerBook mach_kernel: [KernelDebugging] SetOutputType failed: could not find kernel logger. It probably needs to be loaded?

The com_apple_iokit_Klog sounds like a defaults reference.

Couldn't find a com.apple.iokit or anything similar on any of my systems thos but it could be due to a certain hardware or software config.

Did you find it in a log or were you watching a verbose boot sequence?

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

The com_apple_iokit_Klog sounds like a defaults reference.

Couldn't find a com.apple.iokit or anything similar on any of my systems thos but it could be due to a certain hardware or software config.

Did you find it in a log or were you watching a verbose boot sequence?

Dobby.

It appears in the Verbose startup and also is logged in the console.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I hope you have already repaired permissions... I may be wrong, but I'd say that the kernel complains that its favourite logger is inaccessible.

In fact, there are many much worse log messages to be worried about. If they don't bother to turn off debugging messages in a release, the real problem only gets harder to find.

After having watched 'not found', 'not loaded', 'unable to' and 'failed' messages from Apple's software for months, I developed a habit of filtering off all Apple-written messages. When something bad does happen, then and only then I will make myself read it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

I hope you have already repaired permissions... I may be wrong, but I'd say that the kernel complains that its favourite logger is inaccessible.

In fact, there are many much worse log messages to be worried about. If they don't bother to turn off debugging messages in a release, the real problem only gets harder to find.

After having watched 'not found', 'not loaded', 'unable to' and 'failed' messages from Apple's software for months, I developed a habit of filtering off all Apple-written messages. When something bad does happen, then and only then I will make myself read it.

I'll do the permissions repair, then see what I get.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My marvelous recommendation is not to open the frickin' Console, 'cuz it will take away sleep (your sleep) over petty little arguments between Kerberos and Keychain Access.