Digital Key Release 3.0 could enable CarKey to work from your pocket

Posted:
in iOS
The Car Connectivity Consortium has published Digital Key Release 3.0, a specification change that could allow Apple's CarKey to unlock vehicles while still in the driver's pocket.

The Digital Car Key Release 3.0 was originally said in April to include extra wireless connectivity elements, which could feasibly enable systems like Apple's CarKey to unlock and control compatible cars at a distance. On Tuesday, the CCC finalized the specifications, enabling CCC members to use them in their systems.

Apple is a member of the CCC, and it uses specifications from the organization to power CarKey. It is highly likely that changes to the specification will be adopted by Apple over time.

The 3.0 release works on top of the previous 2.0 specification, by adding "hands-free, location-aware keyless access." The specification primarily does this by enabling support for Ultra Wideband alongside Bluetooth LE, complementing the existing NFC-based system.

Authentication of the digital key between the vehicle and the mobile device is performed over Bluetooth LE in version 3.0. Meanwhile, Ultra Wideband enables accurate distance measurement, which can help prevent attacks from alternate communications sources, enhancing security.

UWB measurements can even enable distance-based features, such as unlocking doors when the key-enabled device is nearby, or for starting the vehicle without leaving the user's pocket.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
     Nice new update. Now if only this technology was universally adopted by car manufacturers besides just BMW limited to a single series. My hope is, like apple carplay, more car manufactures will adopt this feature or have a 3rd party aftermarket available so loads more people can just use their iPhones for everything. Trust me, this beats losing your only one key fob in the sofa cushions for 2 weeks! 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    jagbatth said:
     Nice new update. Now if only this technology was universally adopted by car manufacturers besides just BMW limited to a single series. My hope is, like apple carplay, more car manufactures will adopt this feature or have a 3rd party aftermarket available so loads more people can just use their iPhones for everything. Trust me, this beats losing your only one key fob in the sofa cushions for 2 weeks! 
    Agreed, what is the hod up already... They adopted NFC keyless entry, which not the components that make it more useful? How many times does Apple have to offer support for high-value features that become must-haves before (most of) the auto industry figures out whether they should use it?
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    We have the existing Car Key and I use this on my phone with my wife's car. That way don't have to worry about another key fob when I happen to drive her car. While I would like to be able to not take the phone out of my pocket to unlock or drive, like you can with the factory fob, I don't have any need to unlock the car before I touch the door handle. I pass by my wife's car every day to get to mine and don't need the car unlocking and hopefully re-locking as I walk to mine.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    What tesla does basically
    digitol
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    byronl said:
    I hope more reliably than Tesla’s Bluetooth key. The BT key in my iPhone generally unlocks my wife’s Model 3 fine, most of the time. But about 25% of the time it insists on me using the backup proximity key to authorize driving. I carry the prox key in my iPhone wallet, which is buried in my pocket. Really annoying!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    dcgoo said:
    byronl said:
    I hope more reliably than Tesla’s Bluetooth key. The BT key in my iPhone generally unlocks my wife’s Model 3 fine, most of the time. But about 25% of the time it insists on me using the backup proximity key to authorize driving. I carry the prox key in my iPhone wallet, which is buried in my pocket. Really annoying!
    @DCgoo
    Try having a look at priority settings in your model 3.  ;)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    digitol said:
    dcgoo said:
    byronl said:
    @DCgoo
    Try having a look at priority settings in your model 3.  ;)
    "You're fobbing it wrong."
    watto_cobra