Who is for/against this war?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, in keeping with my little thread last week, long forgotten by now, I have decided to try a poll. Reading a bit in AppleOutsider, I'm kind of expecting an overwhelming majority supporting war, but hey, you will all be asked to explain your actions in the afterlife (and guess who'll be interrogating ).

The question is simple and should not lead to discussion. This is not to say (Fellowship, I'm kind of thinking of you here, though be it in a nice way), that I wish to avoid discussion. It is just asking: do you think this war is good/justified or do you think its wrong? (which, IMHO, paraphrases nicely: are you in favour or against this war).

I am still (this adverb establishing the fact that I allow myself to be subject to change) fiercely opposed to this war. Everyday a little bit more.

EDIT: -SNIP- (on a correct suggestion made by CoD).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    I like quesadillas.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You think that an Apple-related message board will be overwhelmingly pro-war? You're forgetting your demographic.

• Reply 3 of 89
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

OK if you don't want discussion then don't toss in controversial takes. IMO you need to edit this part out of your post

Consider it done.
  • Reply 4 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

You think that an Apple-related message board will be overwhelmingly pro-war? You're forgetting your demographic.

It's MHO that Apple demographic != AppleOutsider demographic
  • Reply 5 of 89
    Yuck. Thats unreperesentative of all French citizens.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    I'm not sure in which ways the AppleOutsider demographic would tend to deviate from the Apple demographic. Perhaps it might be more politically oriented or perhaps there are variances in education which correlate to certain political orientations being more prevelant but we'd have to flesh that out and do so with nice rounded breast flesh preferably, the kind of breasts where the nipples are taut fountains of ruby flesh that yearn to be caressed and then...

Anway, maybe all of the pro-war people seem more prevelant to you because even if they are not a vast majority on this forum, and they are certainly not IME, they constitute a larger % of this forum than they do in other mediums in which you would be likely to encounter mostly anti-war people, ie offline life in Belgium.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    what war?

• Reply 8 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Anway, maybe all of the pro-war people seem more prevelant to you because even if they are not a vast majority on this forum, and they are certainly not IME, they constitute a larger % of this forum than they do in other mediums in which you would be likely to encounter mostly anti-war people, ie offline life in Belgium.

My oh my, (and this is without jest), there seem only to be rolling epiphanic truths from your ruby lips today. I completely agree with what you say. I have, time and again, realised that, even though I frequent AppleOutsider/Fireside Chat only sporadically, I am confronted and discuss with more opposing views (wrt my own) than in weeks of real daily life. I have come to consider this as one of the good sides of the internet fora, though at too many times, it makes me into a raving blood-hungry Texas-hating maniac. Anyway. We'll see how the poll goes, or at least I will.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I was against the war

rather, I was against the manner in which the war was sold to the world and rammed down our throats with flimsy and contradictory excuses . . . I was against the manner in which we assumed that our timing agenda was righteous and the world should bow to it

I also was suspiciouse of the unacknowledged motivations from oil to providentialist self-righteousness and arrogance

(almost every news report for over a month on every channel had an obligatory news story aboiuyt the troops praying)

I was especially against the manner in which we alienated the UN, which codified the original rules (laws) in the first place, and the idiotic way we reacted to the countries that did not want to follow our timeline and jump to war.

But now that the war has started I know that we could not merely pull out and stop, we need to finish the war "liberate" the people of Iraq

It was a mistake to start this war in the manner that we did

It will result in fallout that could have been avoided if it was organized and proposed with diplomatic skill

The faster we win the fewer negative consequences . . .so now I want us to hurry up and kick fedayeen ass!!
  • Reply 10 of 89
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Where's thegelding..? I vote Kitties and Puppies!
  • Reply 11 of 89
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I was against this war. But like Pflamm, as this war begun, she have to finish, and to finish in the best way possible.

If this war will stop now, it will be a giant failure for US , but for also all the occidental world. Saddam will be considered for an heroe, and his dictature will last until his natural death.

A defeat of US , will be a good sign for all terrorist that US is weak, and thus must be bombed or attacked.

In french we said : " quand le vin est tiré , il faut le boire" it means when the process is started you must finish it. Some process can be stop, but not this war.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I wanted to vote "I care about it but I'm torn between opposing it and feeling somewhat neutral toward it." Basically I am against the war unless Bush and the gang can follow through on their promises of a stable, democratic government for the people, ousting Saddam Hussein, and stifling terrorist activity. If we're attacked by terrorists again, or if we don't manage to instate a good and just democratic government, then we will have failed.

Naturally, since they felt these issues were so important that a war should be started over them, I will hold them to quite high standards.

Anyway, since I lean more towards anti-war than pro-war, I voted anti-war. And broke the 18-18 tie. I'm curious to see how it ends up, so far it seems pretty evenly matched.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

what war?

GOD!! I LOVE IT!!!
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Just a small bump to, maybe, rack in some more votes. Who knows?
  • Reply 15 of 89
    I have several misgivings as to the why and the how of this war, and of the way it was ?sold? to the world, however, the only proposed alternative was even worse (?let's throw more inspectors at it, that'll show him!?), and removing Saddam Hussain from a position of power is better than keeping him there. So it's a yes for me, however nuanced.

And now that it's begun, it should proceed.

Given that the operation in Afghanistan was relatively efficient, one can hope this one will too.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    For it, with deep reservations, and for almost none of the stated reasons currently in play in the media (which BTW is doing a horrible job). I know it will almost certainly end without a proper post war plan, and deeply suspect the "spin." However, I'm getting quite a lot of experience with spin lately, and have become deeply suspicious of everyone, so perhaps I'm the wrong boy to comment on this. OTOH, since I distrust motivations completely, I have become comfortable with doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, since the beauracratic alternative is always to do nothing. Isn't the business of manufacturing public opinion great? Ah propaganda, my old friend. Anyway, I'm going to curl up with Barthes now and feel all dejected untill monday, bye.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    Since Apple computer users are most often a lot more wealthy than PC users I'd say that Apple users would be more likely to be educated based on the fact that having money makes it less likely you'll drop out.

Also, look at regions of wealth. I'd think folks from Massachusetts and California would be well off and we know that they are more liberal than Texas and Utah so I suppose Apple users are more likely to be against the war.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Real scientific.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Real scientific.

• Reply 20 of 89
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    For it