Snapback Slim Air Review: the right way to add AirTag to a wallet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 22
The Snapback Slim Air lets you have a minimalist wallet with the added security of an Apple AirTag -- and without the bulk.

The Snapback Slim Air wallet has space for an AirTag
The Snapback Slim Air wallet has space for an AirTag


Snapback is a small company with four successful Kickstarter campaigns under its belt. The Snapback Slim Air is the company's first foray into making an Apple accessory.

While other companies have made accessories to house the AirTag in plastic or hide it away in a sleeve, Snapback puts the AirTag on full display. This simple wallet holds a few cards, some cash, and an AirTag in a dedicated pouch.

We've enjoyed using the Snapback Slim Air these past few weeks, and the minimalist design has grown on us. However, this wallet isn't for everyone due to its size and shape.

Snapback Slim Air Design

Snapback didn't take one of its previous wallet designs and slap an AirTag pouch to the front. Instead, this simple sleeve appears to have been designed with the AirTag in mind.

There are two parts to the Snapback Slim Air -- the card sleeve and the AirTag pouch. At first glance, it would appear this wallet would hold two or three cards comfortably before becoming overstuffed, but this wallet actually holds up to six cards.

Quality leather and stitching make the Snapback Slim Air a good looking product
Quality leather and stitching make the Snapback Slim Air a good looking product


The soft leather shell has plenty of give when you need to add more cards or a couple of folded bills, but there isn't any rigid structure to keep the wallet from bulging. We found that we preferred carrying only three cards in this wallet, but your usage may vary.

The AirTag pouch is sized precisely to house the little tracker. It is designed so the Apple logo is facing outward, with the leather tightly gripping the AirTag shell.

The Snapback Slim Air is made of leather, so don't expect perfect fit and clean lines. For example, the AirTag's white case can be seen while it is in the pouch.

Using the Snapback Slim Air

When we began using the Snapback Slim Air, we had shifted over from Apple's MagSafe Wallet. This means we were already accustomed to using small wallets that hold few cards.

The Snapback Slim Air is wider and thicker than the Apple MagSafe Wallet thanks to the AirTag pouch
The Snapback Slim Air is wider and thicker than the Apple MagSafe Wallet thanks to the AirTag pouch


We opted to carry our Apple Card and driver's license only. When using only two cards, the wallet grips the cards tight and doesn't let them come out without you pulling them out.

However, while staying at a hotel, we stored the hotel key in the wallet as well. This caused the wallet to reform around these three cards and expand slightly. Now, without the hotel key, the two cards easily fall out when the wallet is turned upside down.

This isn't a slight against the wallet, just something to note for those who carry very few cards. However, the designers seemed to have expected people to carry three or more cards, so the expansion is normal. The cards are never in danger of flying out of the wallet unless you're carelessly holding it upside down without a grip.

The Snapback Air Slim lives up to its name as a slim wallet. It is easily stored in a front pocket, though the AirTag may bulge outwards from the fabric depending on how tightly you wear your pants.

The AirTag is visible and able to play its chirping sound without being muffled. Customers should not buy this device thinking that the AirTag is meant to do anything more than help find a misplaced wallet.

The AirTag is not an anti-theft device. A thief will steal the contents of a wallet and throw it away in most cases, so do not expect this wallet to help you track down a thief.

Should you buy the Snapback Slim Air?

The Snapback Slim Air has two colors to choose from
The Snapback Slim Air has two colors to choose from


Customers who have a love for slim wallets will likely have their eyes on two Apple-adjacent products -- the Snapback Slim Air and the Apple MagSafe Wallet. The MagSafe Wallet will be great for anyone seeking the absolute minimum in their everyday carry, while the Snapback Slim Air has a bit more wiggle room.

We believe the Snapback Slim Air is the best way to have AirTag in your wallet. Rather than use some hard plastic shell in your billfold, slip the AirTag into a small pouch on the outside of the wallet.

Customers who need a lot of space for cards and cash will need to look elsewhere. By design, this wallet is meant to carry very little while still having access to AirTag technology.

Pros
  • Slim design
  • AirTag isn't muffled or hidden away
  • Holds plenty of cards despite its small size
Cons
  • Soft leather loosely holds cards when not packed full
  • AirTag protrusion too obvious in some pockets
Rating: 4 out of 5

We believe the Snapback Slim Air meets size and functionality right in the middle. Customers looking for a slim wallet with an AirTag pouch should look no further than the Snapback website.

The Snapback Slim Air is $55 and is available in brown or black. The Kickstarter concluded successfully, and additional orders begin shipping in August.

Read on AppleInsider
Hunter13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 2,738member
    After living with Apple's MagSafe wallet, as a secondary wallet, for a couple of months now, my only gripe is that it doesn't hold three cards. I need it to hold my debit card, a credit card AND my driver's license. When I add the license, I can't get anything out without removing the wallet from the phone and even that's a chore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Hunter13Hunter13 Posts: 14member
    Nice! While I love my Apple MagSafe wallet, I normally carry 6 cards and have to choose which cards I bring since it only holds 3 cards max. 

    I just grabbed one of these and look forward to checking it out next month. @AppleInsider Is the AirTag secure in the front pocket?
    edited July 22 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,937member
    I still think a compact wallet with a loop for the AirTag is the perfect solution. I can hold 6-7 cards and some folded money without bulging. The AirTag is movable but secure and the whole thing fits in a front pocket easy!

    (i just wish someone offered this solution complete—I used Apple’s key ring holder and the leathers don’t match 100% and I had to buy the steel cord loop separate.)
    edited July 22 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Hunter13Hunter13 Posts: 14member
    bageljoey said:
    I still think a compact wallet with a loop for the AirTag is the perfect solution. I can hold 6-7 cards and some folded money without bulging. The AirTag is movable but secure and the whole thing fits in a front pocket easy!

    (i just wish someone offered this solution complete—I used Apple’s key ring holder and the leathers don’t match 100% and I had to buy the steel cord loop separate.)
    That looks too cumbersome for me with the extra keychain loop attached and moving around, but to each their own.

    The perfect design would be for Apple to make the AirTag in a card format similar to Tile, but I wonder if that’s something they would even consider at this point since they’re trying to make everything card free.

    I’ll give this a go for now as I’m due for a wallet upgrade.
    edited July 22 chemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    neilmneilm Posts: 899member
    Unfortunately the reviewed product isn't a wallet, but a card case. As such it's only going to suit a minority of people, and the small minority who only carry 2-3 cards, including ID.

    Most actual wallets, even the thin ones I seek out, are about as thick as an AirTag — and that's before you load them with cards and cash. Stacking an AirTag on top of these is a non-starter, and having a flappy dongle for the AirTag is no better. I'd like to see a wallet that has an extension on one of the sides designed to house an AirTag next to the other contents, rather than on top of them. Yes the wallet would be either a bit taller or wider, but it wouldn't be thicker.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,937member
    Hunter13 said:
    bageljoey said:
    I still think a compact wallet with a loop for the AirTag is the perfect solution. I can hold 6-7 cards and some folded money without bulging. The AirTag is movable but secure and the whole thing fits in a front pocket easy!

    (i just wish someone offered this solution complete—I used Apple’s key ring holder and the leathers don’t match 100% and I had to buy the steel cord loop separate.)
    That looks too cumbersome for me with the extra keychain loop attached and moving around, but to each their own.
    Yeah, perfect might be overselling it a little, lol!

    But I actually find the moveable AirTag loop to work for me. In my pocket it flips up, so the wallet isn’t fatter, but in my hands it flips down and is convenient to holding in one hand. 

    Still, of course, a thin tag that works with existing wallet solutions would be ideal. I imagine Apple would be criticized for using a non-standard battery in that case, though…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,328member
    mike1 said:
    After living with Apple's MagSafe wallet, as a secondary wallet, for a couple of months now, my only gripe is that it doesn't hold three cards. I need it to hold my debit card, a credit card AND my driver's license. When I add the license, I can't get anything out without removing the wallet from the phone and even that's a chore.
    I keep the same 3 cards in my MagSafe wallet.  I actually like the super-snug fit because I know nothing is going to fall out of it.  I always keep a card which has raised numbers on it facing out of the notch so that there's something to help get the card out.

    As for this wallet, I rarely have my MagSafe wallet separate from my phone, so having a separate means of tracking the wallet from the phone isn't worth the added bulk for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 2,738member
    auxio said:
    mike1 said:
    After living with Apple's MagSafe wallet, as a secondary wallet, for a couple of months now, my only gripe is that it doesn't hold three cards. I need it to hold my debit card, a credit card AND my driver's license. When I add the license, I can't get anything out without removing the wallet from the phone and even that's a chore.
    I keep the same 3 cards in my MagSafe wallet.  I actually like the super-snug fit because I know nothing is going to fall out of it.  I always keep a card which has raised numbers on it facing out of the notch so that there's something to help get the card out.

    I can try that and see if it helps. I think part of the problem is that, when I'm out with the Apple wallet, my preferred credit card is the Apple Card. Because it is metal, there's no give when trying to get it out like there would be with another plastic card.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 828member
    mike1 said:
    After living with Apple's MagSafe wallet, as a secondary wallet, for a couple of months now, my only gripe is that it doesn't hold three cards. I need it to hold my debit card, a credit card AND my driver's license. When I add the license, I can't get anything out without removing the wallet from the phone and even that's a chore.
    I have those same 3 cards in my wallet, and, like Auxio above, I keep one with numbers facing outwards for easy removal. But, you do know that you’re supposed to remove the wallet from the iPhone when pulling out your card, right? That’s why there is a hole on the back. It wouldn’t be very secure if the wallet was loose enough for you to pull them out of the top. Is it bit of a chore that way? Sure…but is it any more of a chore than it would be with a conventional wallet? Also, I’ve found that mine has slightly loosened since November, making the whole process a little easier…so, stick with it. 
    edited July 22 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Hunter13Hunter13 Posts: 14member
    neilm said:
    Unfortunately the reviewed product isn't a wallet, but a card case. As such it's only going to suit a minority of people, and the small minority who only carry 2-3 cards, including ID.

    Most actual wallets, even the thin ones I seek out, are about as thick as an AirTag — and that's before you load them with cards and cash. Stacking an AirTag on top of these is a non-starter, and having a flappy dongle for the AirTag is no better. I'd like to see a wallet that has an extension on one of the sides designed to house an AirTag next to the other contents, rather than on top of them. Yes the wallet would be either a bit taller or wider, but it wouldn't be thicker.
    I just re-read the review to make sure I wasn’t going crazy because I have more than 2-3 cards, but it says it holds 6 cards and some cash. I don’t know what you carry in your wallet, but I’m mostly cards and rarely cash (and never coins).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Or get a slightly thicker wallet with a zipper and add a money clip. AirTag fits nicely in the zipper pocket , I don't even know it's there and I don't use it for anything else.  Holds 8+ cards, License has clear cover, nice and inexpensive at Amazon.
    bageljoeywatto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.