Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G and Galaxy Z Flip3 5G announced at Galaxy Unpacked

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
Samsung has announced the folding Galaxy Z Fold3 5G and Galaxy Z Flip3 5G with more durable designs and 120Hz displays.

Samsung announced its Z Fold3 5G and Z Flip3 5G
Samsung announced its Z Fold3 5G and Z Flip3 5G

The ultra-premium foldables from Samsung continue to see slight changes in design to keep up with the flagship Galaxy lineup. The edges on both devices take on a more flat design with a bold hinge.

"With Galaxy Z Fold3 and Z Flip3, Samsung is once again redefining the possibilities with foldable smartphones that empower users with the flexibility and versatility needed for today's fast-paced world," said Dr. TM Roh, President and Head of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. "As a pioneer and industry leader in the foldable category, we're proud to build on our legacy of innovation with the Z Fold3 and Z Flip3. These devices equip consumers with technologies that unlock new ways to maximize and enjoy every moment with an ecosystem built on openness and innovation."

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G

The Samsung Galaxy Fold3 5G
The Samsung Galaxy Fold3 5G

The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G has a more slim camera bump, but it appears nearly identical to its predecessor beyond the flat edges. It uses the 64-bit Octa-Core Processor with a 2.84GHz maximum clock speed.

The inner display is a 7.6-inch Infinity Flex Display with S Pen support. It is 374ppi with a 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, and is 29% brighter. The Cover Screen is a 6.2-inch display with 387ppi and also has the 120Hz adaptive refresh rate.

Thanks to the new, more durable design, it has an IPX8 water resistance rating. Samsung also included Gorilla Glass Victus for improved protection against scratches and drops.

There are three colors available: Phantom Black, Phantom Green, and Phantom Silver.

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G

The Samsung Galaxy Flip3 5G
The Samsung Galaxy Flip3 5G

The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G includes a bigger external display and slight redesign similar to the Galaxy Fold3 5G. The flat edges and vertical camera bump make for an improved modern design.

The inner display is a 6.7-inch Infinity Flex Display. It is 425ppi and has a 120Hz adaptive refresh rate.

The Galaxy Z Flip3 5G uses the 5nm 64-bit Octa-Core Processor. Like the Galaxy Z Fold3 5G, it has a maximum clock speed of 2.84GHz.

Four colors available through carriers are Cream, Green, Lavender, and Phantom Black. Samsung offers Gray, Pink, and White exclusively colors on its website.

Pricing and Availability

Samsung is offering the Galaxy Z Flip3 5G at an all-time low price of $999.99. The Galaxy Z Fold3 5G is also at a new lower entry price of $1,799.99.

Despite mocking Apple's decision to remove the power adapter from the box, Samsung will not include a power adapter with either device. Customers will have to utilize existing power adapters or purchase one separately at checkout.

Pre-orders begin today, August 11 via Samsung's website. Special offers are available for customers until August 26.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I have never seen anyone using these phones in public. 
    BeatslibertyandfreeKTRwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member

Go to the Official Star Trek Convention 2021, August 11-15, 2021, Caesars Forum Conference Center, Las Vegas. I'll bet that flip model will have a high rate of damage from Star Trek fans. Captain Kirk used to give his communicator a pretty mean flip.

lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    An old friend of mine has had a Samsung folding phone for about year and he's happy with it.  He appreciates the fact that it folds small enough to easily fit in a jeans pocket.  I looked at it for a few minutes and the screen quality etc. seemed fine.

I'm not interested in an Android phone and I thoroughly enjoyed Samsung's missteps with the first folding screen phones.  However, they seem to have figured it out.
    muthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 4 of 15
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Apple’s likely on the same path, but with superior versions of the products.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Samsung Galaxy Flip3 looks really nice to me, in terms of footprint in folded state. Fairly tiny, by 2021 standards. @Beats used to complain about not getting small sized iPhone from Apple. All he needs is - A knockoff made by Apple of Samsung Galaxy Flip3, hopefully by 2023 or 2024.
    avon b7
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Gotta love all that detail and lighting along the fold in the pics for each phone.
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Gotta love all that detail and lighting along the fold in the pics for each phone.
    Move along, nothing to see here… 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Have not looked at the physical specs but have to guess this is big and heavy.  Who wants to go around town or traveling and carrying a brick of a “phone” ?  Not me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    “Hurry up Apple! We can’t do it without you!!!!”
  • Reply 10 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    williamh said:
    An old friend of mine has had a Samsung folding phone for about year and he's happy with it.  He appreciates the fact that it folds small enough to easily fit in a jeans pocket.  I looked at it for a few minutes and the screen quality etc. seemed fine.

I'm not interested in an Android phone and I thoroughly enjoyed Samsung's missteps with the first folding screen phones.  However, they seem to have figured it out.
    How does he find the battery life?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    M68000 said:
    Have not looked at the physical specs but have to guess this is big and heavy.  Who wants to go around town or traveling and carrying a brick of a “phone” ?  Not me.
    The current model that I saw wasn’t big or heavy.   That phone wasn’t for me, I don’t want android or Samsung. This could be a case where we’ll like it when Apple does it. 
    muthuk_vanalingamKTRwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Looking forward for the fold 3, since Apple's "Child protection" botched my plans to get an iphone.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 15
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    williamh said:

They have not solve the fold line
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    The Flip3 still looks like an iPhone 6.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The problem I have  is that they made such a massive botch of the first release, I'd have to see them out in the wild for at least three to five years before trusting that the screen wouldn't fail.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra