Any solution to when you want to wear a different watch?

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I've owned an Apple Watch for a little over a year, and this is my first dedicated fitness tracker.  Prior to that, I religiously wore a high-end timepiece that I've owned for close to two decades. I utilized the step tracking software in my phone to calculate basic fitness activity as I would have it on my person.

The primary motivation for picking up an Apple Watch was the advanced fitness functionality.  I appreciate having more precise measurements of heartrate, activity, calorie burn, etc, for a more complete fitness picture, and it's a daily part of my life.  Fitness competitions are also great motivators, and I'm always in the middle of a competition with other friends.  My issue is that, on occasion, I would like to be able to wear my high-end watch for nights out, special occasions, etc.  The tradeoff is that I lose the fitness tracking for a specified amount of time, and it creates a general hole in my data.

I've tried wearing two watches on one wrist (Apple Watch higher on the arm), but that was an experience I would prefer not to repeat.  The other option is wearing two watches on opposite wrists, which is both physically and aesthetically awkward.  I was hoping that just having the watch on me (in my pocket, for instance), would at least capture steps, but this did not seem to be the case.  The other hope was that my iPhone would pick up the slack and fill in the gaps with its embedded motion sensor, but that synchronization didn't seem to work as hoped with the fitness data.

Has anyone discovered a relatively simple solution to this dilemma?