Entourage on a 2-user account Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Mac running OS X 10.2, and the whole Office suite. I love using Entourage as my default email client, but I have a delemma. The 2 accounts are both my accounts, I just made them both so I can have all my work-related stuff on one account, and my entertainment, etc. on the 2nd one. Here's the dillema: I want to recieve mail in both accounts using the same email address and the problem is that Entourage thinks that I am two users, so it thinks that I should have a different email address in my 2nd OS X user account. I tried Microsoft for support ( ) If you have a tip, please post. Thanks. 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    francisg3francisg3 Posts: 168member
    Not sure I understand your question - you want to receive e-mail in both accounts, with the same e-mail address? That doesn't make sense - I'm on Entourage's side on that one.

Just kidding. Could you give some more details?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I'm not sure if I understand either. For example, I use Entourage to manage multiple Hotmail accounts without any problems. I use these as IMAP accounts, which means I access the mail from each account directly from the Hotmail server. The only thing I have to do is click on each Inbox to see the mail in each account,.

My wife uses it for both her .mac and Hotmail accounts as well.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Here is the problem, AGAIN: I have two "users" in OSX. Let's call them os10geek and Placebo, for the sake of discussion. Placebo and os10geek are the same person, with the same email address. os10geek already has a working Entourage identity, but Placebo wants to be able to recieve email in his account, without having to logout and login to os10geek to recieve mail. Basically, Placebo wants to have the same Entourage identity as os10geek. I think that there is a "identity file" somewhere that I could duplicate, but I don't know where. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Here is the problem, AGAIN: I have two "users" in OSX.

Well, that sucks. Entourage stores its junk under ~home/Documents/Microsoft User Data.

Since this is under the home directory, it's usually not possible to have access to somebody else's directory. I've never found where you can set this in Entourage. I tried to do something like you are trying to do with my wife's account, but since she has the German version and me the English version, it wouldn't work.

I don't think it's really possible in Entourage, but here's an idea anyway. Try tricking Entourage by using aliases.

Pick one user as the main account.

Give the other user access rights to this folder.

Make aliases of the Main Identities (under the Microsoft User Data > Office X Identities) folder of this account, and place it in the other account.

There are still issues with this setup, but maybe it's enough for what you want.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thank you. This probably will solve my problem, I'll just have to login as Root.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Didn't work. I gave both users Admin status, copied the user data over, changed the prmissions data on the user data, and Entourage gives me some "reformat your database" or some bullshit like that.