Some Apple Watch Solo Loop users complain of tearing, breaks

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2021
With "Apple Watch Series 7" expected to launch in the coming weeks, owners of current generation Watches who use Apple's Solo Loop are reporting issues with the liquid silicone accessory.

Solo Loop

A handful of users are reporting less than desirable results in response to a Redditor's request for feedback on Apple's Solo Loop, a new-for-2020 band made from a specialized, stretchable silicone material that securely attaches Apple Watch to the wrist without a traditional closure

While most note the band does not "stretch out" over time, some are reporting cracks, "cuts," and tears in the $50 accessory.

"I loved the [S]olo [L]oop as it truly was the most comfortable band and was my daily. Unfortunately a micro tear developed and it finally ripped after about 10 months," said user "GPT96." "I would replace it but they're too expensive and the standard sport band, while not as comfortable, gets the job done."

As noted by 9to5Mac, which spotted the thread on Monday, Brazilian YouTube creator March Will experienced a similar issue in which his Solo Loop split in two.

Commenters on the Reddit thread claim some success in taking their damaged band in for replacement at Apple, but others simply accepted the loss and switched to another band.

Some users complained of stretching issues with the Braided Solo Loop, an alternative design that combines stretchable recycled yarn with silicone threads.

The reports arrive as Apple is expected to increase the dimensions of Apple Watch for the first time in three years. Leaks and rumors in August pointed to 41mm and 45mm Watch models, a 1mm bump over current designs. While some anticipate existing Watch bands and straps to be compatible with the next-generation device, at least one leaker reports otherwise.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    They’re wearing it wrong!

stretching is t surprising with the braided band - it’s actually surprising to me that it doesn’t stretch more, but with the price of the bands, I’d be mad if they stretched or broke so I couldn’t use them in less than a year. 

I still have the original band from my series 3. One thing that’s impressed me is how well it’s held up. It’s showing some wear, but still works perfectly. Expensive, but actually a good value because of the durability. Now, if the bands start to break in a year you’re just as well off buying the cheap knockoffs. 
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mine broke after 9 months of regular use (off/on once a day to charge), and AppleCare refused to care.
    I get that it’s a physical part that will get daily wear and tear, but Apple sport bands I’ve had in the past at least offer a couple years of use before the glue holding the metal nub gives out (which I think is reasonable), but the solo loop breaking in less than a year and AppleCare not covering it is disappointing/wrong. 
    When I went to replace it, I thought $50 for another Apple brand solo loop that will give me 9 months of use, or a solo loop knock off from a big box retail site (albeit cheaper quality, less perfect fit) at $15 for a 2 pack? At that rate, as long as each of these bands lasts at least a month and a half, they will have out performed Apple's solo loop.
    Also convenient how Apple sells them exclusively and doesn't let customers leave reviews for products (and how they remove negative Yelp reviews)...
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 3 of 4
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    MplsP said:
    I still have the original band from my series 3. One thing that’s impressed me is how well it’s held up. It’s showing some wear, but still works perfectly. Expensive, but actually a good value because of the durability. Now, if the bands start to break in a year you’re just as well off buying the cheap knockoffs. 
    The original sport loop bands I got with my series 2 are still going strong with my series 6 (4+ years).  I'm very impressed with the quality of them.  Interesting that the solo loop (which looks similar, minus the clasp) doesn't seem as durable, but I guess making the material stretch more also decreases the durability.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    You are wearing it wrong….ehehehe.

darkvader