Charging for web design (UK)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

Firstly, let me apologise if this is inappropriate...

...but I'm a web designer working in the UK, and I'd like some advice on what to charge!

Overcharging means I get undercut by the client's nephew who has a copy of FrontPage, and undercharging means I'm out of pocket and people think I can't be that good.

What--and how--do most UK web designers charge?

Here is my latest work, if you need a sample to see what I'm worth!

http://www.ritter-bags.com/

Thank you,

un

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Greetings fellow UK webmaster... i see the force is strong in you!! (translate: nice site!)

As ball park figures go I tend to charge as the following:-

* Static HTML pages £50 each.

* Dynamic pages (i code in php) £150 - £250 depending on complexity.

* eCommerce shopping systems £2000

I say that hosting and management (domain name reg etc) is £350 per year. And the cost of the pages are extra. But generally when you meet your client you will get a feeling of how much they want out of their website and how much they are willing to spend.

For example, http://www.manhattanblinds.co.uk cos the client just £350 because it only actually took me 2 days. The pages are that simple that It wasnt worth losing the deal for the time it would take me.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Now I'm wondering what the going rates are for the U.S. and for Canada...

wonder if I just convert Gargoyles prices from pounds to dollars if I'd hit the mark?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The blinds are a nice touch.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    yes, the interactive miniblinds are wizard~

I haven't learned Flash yet...had a brief frustrating bout with LiveMotion but left it alone for a year (or two?). How long did it take to make the blinds?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

yes, the interactive miniblinds are wizard~

I haven't learned Flash yet...had a brief frustrating bout with LiveMotion but left it alone for a year (or two?). How long did it take to make the blinds?

Urrrm, cant really remember. I think cutting out the image strips was prolly the longest bit. The code I had in a sligtly different version from a previous site.

Ya can have the .fla file if anyone is interested ?