preview of next powerbook screen?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Supervideo's website (I know.. the website stinks!) talks about the next generation OLED screens. It mentions how Toshiba will be using this technology on their 15" powerhouse laptop. The article also mentions how Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corporation has created the first 20" OLED screen.

Here is the link:

http://www.supervideo.com/NAB.htm

(scroll down to part 6 and 7)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    A 20" Powerbook? Even Lapzilla's proportions are bordering on silly. Don't get me wrong. They look wonderfully thin, sharp and colorful.

Except for the extra thick bezel on the second monitor. I hope that's due to it being a pre-production prototype.

What ever happened to the relatively shorter lifespan of the OLED displays??

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    17" is the biggest apple should go...higher res. would be nice, though as long as Panther has scalable UI elements.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

17" is the biggest apple should go...higher res. would be nice, though as long as Panther has scalable UI elements.

I wasn't implying that apple should make a 20" laptop! I was merely commenting on the fact that Apple will probably be using a similar 15" OLED screen that toshiba will be using soon.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    does anyone know what battery life would be extended to with OLED? AFAIK, it uses a LOT less juice but i'd be very interested to know exactly (or even roughly) how that is reflected in hours from fully charged.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lungaretta

does anyone know what battery life would be extended to with OLED? AFAIK, it uses a LOT less juice but i'd be very interested to know exactly (or even roughly) how that is reflected in hours from fully charged.

Just read the page linked to in the first message...

Quote:

Technical details: The 20-inch prototype is a top-emitting full-color active-matrix display. It has WXGA resolution (1280 x 768 pixels) and a power consumption of 25 Watt at a brightness of 300 cd/m2 (its desktop display brightness, can exceed 500 cd/m2). The organic layers are fabricated on a substrate with an array of amorphous silicon (a-Si) thin-film transistors (TFTs) . Improved color reproduction, which is better than with CRTs, and extremely high efficiency have been achieved specifically by the use of tailor made organic materials in combination with a unique optical device architecture.

Apple 17" LCD Studio - 40W

Apple 20" LCD Cinema - 60W

OLED 20" 'Cinema Sized' - 25W

Apple 23" LCD Cinema - 70W

Yea I'd say it uses less....

..edit...

Hmm and the brightness is better too...

Apple 20" LCD Cinema brightness 230 cd/m2 - 60Watts

OLED 20" LCD Cinema brightness 300 cd/m2 - 25Watts

Impressive!

On top of that, in a 'desktop config' the OLED's brightness can exceed 500 cd/m2!! (no power given at that level) but damn that be bright!

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Just read the page linked to in the first message...

Apple 17" LCD Studio - 40W

Apple 20" LCD Cinema - 60W

OLED 20" 'Cinema Sized' - 25W

Apple 23" LCD Cinema - 70W

Yea I'd say it uses less....

..edit...

Hmm and the brightness is better too...

Apple 20" LCD Cinema brightness 230 cd/m2 - 60Watts

OLED 20" LCD Cinema brightness 300 cd/m2 - 25Watts

Impressive!

On top of that, in a 'desktop config' the OLED's brightness can exceed 500 cd/m2!! (no power given at that level) but damn that be bright!

Dave

with respect, i read the article and that doesn't answer my question. how does that power consumption translate into hours on an average (let's say) TiBook?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It should translate into something quite noticeable in terms of hours. The screen is easily the hungriest component.