How to really hide something in OS X?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I set Disc Copy as one of my login items. I'm hoping it will speed up messing with files I download off the internet.

Anyway, I guess "hide" doesn't hide it from the dock...so how do I do that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

I set Disc Copy as one of my login items. I'm hoping it will speed up messing with files I download off the internet.

Anyway, I guess "hide" doesn't hide it from the dock...so how do I do that?

"Hide" means, well, Hide (the same as Cmd-H). In Mac OS X 10.0 ? 10.2.4 there are no legal ways to hide a running app from a dock. You can, actually, modify info.plist for the given app so that it never shows in the Dock. The real question is, if you make an app absent from the Dock, how will you switch to it? The info.plist modification technique exists for the sole sake of GUI-less apps and apps which present their dialogs only when they want to, not you. So, if I understood you correctly, you, in fact, do not want to hide anything from the Dock.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Hmm...that's interesting. Thanks Costique.

I would like to hide Disk Copy from the Dock because I don't like the clutter that happens with several running applications, and Disk Copy runs "by itself" after I download .dmg files so I don't really need to manipulate it.

But then again, I do have a need to make CD copies and the like from time to time, which would require messing with its menu.

Damn. Oh well, the main problem is that I don't like the Dock. It's too cluttered and takes up too much space. It's a good idea, but it needs some serious work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    An obvious point, but on my TiBook I just set the Dock to appear only upon roll-over. An imperfect quasi-solution to clutter and space. (I'm not fond of it either...)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    There are several solutions to organise the workspace and reduce the Dock clutter. When you are looking for something, try searching through Version Tracker and MacUpdate.