Apple adds original Apple Watch to list of vintage products

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2021
More than six years after release, Apple has added the original Apple Watch models released in 2015 to its list of vintage and obsolete products.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

The original Apple Watch, sometimes called the "Series 0," was first released in April 2015 with a starting price of $349. Its inclusion on the vintage and obsolete list marks the first time an Apple wearable has been declared "vintage."

In 2016, Apple continued to iterate on the original Apple Watch formula with the Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch Series 2. Those two wearables were eventually succeeded by the Apple Watch Series 3 in 2017, which Apple still sells.

Apple defines "vintage" devices as those that have not been manufactured for more than five years but fewer than seven years. "Obsolete" products, on the other hand, are those that have been discontinued for more than seven years.

Products on the "vintage" list have limited support or repair options. Obsolete products are not able to receive hardware service from Apple technicians or Authorized Service Providers, with "no exceptions."

Apple recently unveiled the Apple Watch Series 7 at a keynote event in September. The new model, which is expected to debut sometime later in the fall, sports a larger display area, increased durability, and higher overall brightness.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I didn’t keep my original 2015 Apple Watch, but did keep my 2007 original iPhone. What a masterpiece of technology it was!
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    This of course includes the original gold edition models that went for $24,000. I think this is likely the most expensive Apple product ever declared "vintage/ obsolete." Maybe some of the really high end Mac Pros hit this level.

But of course, if you paid $24,000 for a watch, odds are you don't really care it is now refused service by its manufacturer. 
    peterhartF_Kent_Dbyronl80s_Apple_GuyGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I am still wearing my vintage stainless steel model.  :D
    byronlpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I also wear my original watch, outside doing yardwork, at least it’s able to track my activity and helps close the rings.
    pulseimagesjahbladebyronlpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Is the S6 watch still in production?
    peterhartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    It's pretty amazing that these buggers are still functioning quite nicely. I still have my original Apple Watch even though I've upgraded to the Series 5.

Any ideas for repurposing these older watches for some other purpose?
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dewme said:
    It's pretty amazing that these buggers are still functioning quite nicely. I still have my original Apple Watch even though I've upgraded to the Series 5.

I think they would certainly do a good job at telling the time very accurately 
    F_Kent_Dbyronlmuthuk_vanalingammr lizardwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I still have my SS with the Milanese loop, looks as good as the day I got it. Superb condition. Subsequently replaced with S2, then S4, then S5.

Amazing product. Can’t spend my waking hours without it anymore. 
    jahbladeGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I replaced my series 0 with a series 4. I still have the series 0. It still works.
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Still have my SS series 0 and have been debating what to do with it since I recently bought a series 6 since the wife and I wanted to use the near feature the series 0 did not support. 

I guess I need to add it display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    dewme said:

Is it amazing?  I do t think many people who spent $400 on any other watch six years ago would be that amazed it still worked.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I still use mine everyday, I am a builder and it is a essential on my hand tools list, need a calculation? just ask! ; need a conversion? done!; smoko time! invaluable 
    watto_cobra