Find My downtime stops some users from locating lost devices

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2021
A problem with Find My has led to some iPhone owners not being able to use the hardware-relocation service, an issue that Apple quickly fixed.

An update to Apple's System Status webpage advised there is a problem with the Find My service. Powering the Find My network, the service was listed on the page to have an "issue," and that "Users may be unable to use this service."

The fault listing says the problem was logged as starting at 8:30pm BST (3:30pm eastern), and later updated to say it concluded at 10:15pm BST (5:15pm eastern). Apple doesn't customarily provide estimates for when system issues will be rectified, but it appears the time Apple worked on the problem was under two hours in total.

Apple confirmed via Twitter it was "aware of and working on a fix for the Find My issue," and advises to "keep an eye" on the status page for updates.

It is unknown exactly how many people were affected by the issue, as Apple states "some users are affected." There are relatively few complaints on Twitter under searches for related terms, which could indicate it is minimally impacting customers at the moment.

Updated at 6:00pm eastern: Updated with Apple's change of status for the issue to "Resolved."

Read on AppleInsider